Skimmer baskets

T,

The "handle" on my skimmer pops in and out.

I use hairnets. Just take them out and throw them away.

View attachment 425936

Show me a pic of your basket.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pro-tip for @Jimrahbe … put the rock in the basket first then the hairnet … that way you don’t have to fish the rock out of a nasty bug and leaf filled hairnet and you don’t have to rinse it off 😉

If you have a valve you could divert your suction side to just the skimmer and not use the main drains. Danger there is if the pool water falls below the skimmer or if something else happens to cause the skimmer to run dry, it could risk damaging the pump without water coming from another source that isn't plugged. But it would mean your robot has time to get them all up and get them out of the pool that way.

Perhaps there's a way to put a metal mesh over the main drains? Something fine enough to catch these before they get through, that you could turn off the pump and remove with the robot later?

Just spitballing ideas :)

If you have a valve you could divert your suction side to just the skimmer and not use the main drains. Danger there is if the pool water falls below the skimmer or if something else happens to cause the skimmer to run dry, it could risk damaging the pump without water coming from another source that isn't plugged. But it would mean your robot has time to get them all up and get them out of the pool that way.

Perhaps there's a way to put a metal mesh over the main drains? Something fine enough to catch these before they get through, that you could turn off the pump and remove with the robot later?

Just spitballing ideas :)
I was thinking something like silicone drain things like for showers, but big for pools. I have an equalizer in my skimmer that pulls from pool wall about 2' down, do I could close mains. I'd be afraid of "stuff" gathering in drain pipes causing algae. Rather have everything flowing.

But a screen inside the pump basket is a good idea. Cut to fit., maybe aluminum.

If a skimmer basket floats when the skimmer lid is closed, can anyone really see it …. 🤔

Deep Thoughts Monday
The problem with a floating basket is leaves and crud could sink before the pump comes on and get sucked to the pump basket. Not that you can't clean that out. I have a second hole in my skimmer, an equalizer that goes to the pool. I cleaned that pipe out the other day, was full of decayed dead leaves (algae anyone?). Going with the rock idea from now on!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.