Several issues to address

Missy_2008

Jul 29, 2021
San Leanna, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Doughboy above-ground pool with Hayward PowerFloLX pump - installed 7/28/2021

Swimline 87501 auto chlorinator installed October, 2022.

Here is a list of the issues we have been having. In no particular order:

1. Water is gorgeous and clear one day, and murky, green and gross a few day's later. Chemical levels don't appear off enough to produce this problem. We adjust as necessary and even installed an auto chlorinator so that we would not have to worry. Still no real improvements

2. Greenish water in pool does not produce discolored water during backwash/rinse. Seems strange to us.

3. Seeing air bubbles coming out of return jet.

4. Our pool cleaner (Baracuda Zodiac Ranger) loses suction after a couple of minutes. This may have to do with problem #3 since it had worked when we first had the pool installed. Yes, we do blow the air out of the vacuum hose before using it. The vacuum starts off strong but quickly slows down then eventually stops.

If any of you have ideas or solutions, I would appreciate your input. Thanks so much!

You have algae. The dead stuff is on the floor, which the vac starts to get, quickly killing the flow of the filter. The chlorinator probably beats the green back just enough to kinda clear, but you never actually remove the algae bloom.

You need to SLAM Process. Have several reads through it with some time to process it all. Then read it again. Each time through, some more sticks. Follow the process to a T and it will go well. Ask away at any time and we'll help fill in any blanks.

Missy, do you have a set of test results from your own test kit? Please tell us these levels:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How often do you test your water? Which are you using to test the water?

The use of pucks is problematic in pools as the stabilizer (CYA) builds up too high.
High CYA requires a higher amount of plain chlorine to clean your water.
Liquid Chlorine is the better choice as it adds nothing to the pool except chlorine.

Pool Care Basics

Maddie 🇮🇹
How Clear is TFP Clear?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Missy, do you have a set of test results from your own test kit? Please tell us these levels:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

The use of pucks is problematic in pools as the stabilizer (CYA) builds up too high.
Liquid Chlorine is the better choice as it adds nothing to the pool except chlorine.

Pool Care Basics

Maddie 🇮🇹
How Clear is TFP Clear?
Hello Maddie and everyone else who has answered my 911!!

I do not have any test results because I have been using test strips. I won't be using those anymore for sure!! I will be doing a SLAM and am currently pricing out the test kits recommended. I wondered if this one was sufficient:

Taylor K2006 Complete Swimming Pool Chlorine Test Kit w/Additional Basic Kit https://a.co/d/3y9ZGoo

It's a little more within my tight budget. Speaking of budget, I could kick myself for not researching sooner. I have a small fortune in pool chemicals in my shed. The only thing that has come close to working is flock.

The chlorinator we installed does use pucks. I will be switching to liquid once I get the pool back to gorgeous. I haven't had the chlorinator that long so I will be sending it back for a refund. Can you think of a reason why I should keep it??

Taylor K2006 Complete Swimming Pool Chlorine Test Kit w/Additional Basic Kit https://a.co/d/3y9ZGoo
You want the K2006-C. The C stands for commercial and has more supplies.

Ideally you really want the TF-100 pro from tftestkits.net. it comes with a $45 stirring device for the same price as the k2006C which doesn't. Trust me you want the stirring device. It's the bees knees.
could kick myself for not researching sooner. I have a small fortune in pool chemicals in my shed.
Most of us got here the same way. We haven't forgot how bad it sucked, both in frustration and cost. :)
Can you think of a reason why I should keep it??
None. They can be of use if you're going on vacation (and your CYA level can use a boost). But you can buy a floater for $15 to do the same thing. 🤷‍♂️

Get the TF-100. It has saved me more money in chemicals than what I paid for it. Pays for itself.
Hello Maddie and everyone else who has answered my 911!!

I do not have any test results because I have been using test strips. I won't be using those anymore for sure!! I will be doing a SLAM and am currently pricing out the test kits recommended. I wondered if this one was sufficient:

It's a little more within my tight budget. Speaking of budget, I could kick myself for not researching sooner. I have a small fortune in pool chemicals in my shed. The only thing that has come close to working is flock.

The chlorinator we installed does use pucks. I will be switching to liquid once I get the pool back to gorgeous. I haven't had the chlorinator that long so I will be sending it back for a refund. Can you think of a reason why I should keep it??
Update: so we backwashed tonight and there was some green coming out this time. Guess that's good?? Also, in an attempt get a handle on this mess of a pool, we are considering purchasing a robotic pool cleaner. Since a large part of our problem is the inability to use our current vacuum then maybe (fingers crossed) this robotic cleaner would help. If any of you currently have or have had a robotic pool cleaner, please give me your opinion good or bad. If you have a brand recommendation I would appreciate that as well.

I will be posting my levels once I get the kit to do that. Please be patient. We all had COVID at the same time 2 weeks ago and are just now getting back to normal! I plan on reading up on SLAM during Christmas break. Hopefully we can get the process finished while we are still on break.

Thanks for all your help, advice and encouragement. Hopefully our pool won't look like a swamp for much longer!!

Reactions: Newdude
please give me your opinion good or bad. If you have a brand recommendation I would appreciate that as well.
Not a consensus, but many of us have and recommend the S200 Dolphin.

Dolphin warranty is goofy. You need to buy from a dealer. If you buy online, it is different. We have no formal relationship with Marina Pool and Spas, but over the years our members get GREAT service from them. Call them up, explain your pool setup and they can make a recommendation. Since they are brick and mortar you will get full warranty.

Call Margaret at:

+1. Marina talked my IRL friend out of a more expensive model with features he didn't need, as has been reported here many times. Then she did it with me personally.

My buddy got shipped a dud, and she upgraded him for free because that model was no longer available. He had the new one a couple of days later. Even with the headaches he was thrilled with the fast and caring service.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Missy,
Please understand that the pool cleaner isn’t your issue. A “better” pool cleaner will not solve the algae problem as that is a chemistry issue.
Get the kit, when it comes post all your results & we can go from there.
Until it comes - no more tabs!
You can Add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine to your pool each day to keep things from getting worse. PoolMath will tell you how much that is based on the chlorine strength & your pool’s volume.
You just pour it slowly infront of a running return jet away from the liner- you can brush the area to ensure it mixes well.
You will need to find a good fresh source for liquid chlorine/unadulterated bleach.
There are several hasa liquid chlorine dealers in the Austin area - you may want to call & be sure they sell to the public.

Ok. I got the testing kit and stirrer today. The instructions might as well be in Korean. I cannot understand how I am supposed to do this. If anyone can give me a hand, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
Also, we did disconnect the chlorinator. One less thing to jack with. Pool is still very dark green in color. I almost expect something to jump out at me!! Our pool robot will be here tomorrow.

Ok. I got the testing kit and stirrer today. The instructions might as well be in Korean. I cannot understand how I am supposed to do this. If anyone can give me a hand, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Best I can give you on instructions. If you have specific test questions, we can help. I'll be around tonight...

One tip, look for the thing that looks like a cross the size of a dime. Measure the pool water first, then drop that cross in. The stirrer is magnetic and will spin the cross in the solution.

just start with one test first
have a notebook handy to jot down your results
so with fc which will be one of your top issues
read the included instruction sheet
fill the test vial to the level
add 2 little scoops of powder
sample should turn pink
then add drops until sample turns clear, approximately 1 drop per second
this video may help
i cant find the tfp videos at the moment
edit, so much for my slow typing. maddy found them

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Pool Care Basics

Maddie 🇮🇹
How Clear is TFP Clear?
Ok. Finally got results.

Water temp 67.5
FC. 10.5 PPM
pH. 8.0+
TA. 100
CH. 250
CYA 75 ppm

Ok. Finally got results.

Water temp 67.5
FC. 10.5 PPM
pH. 8.0+
TA. 100
CH. 250
CYA 75 ppm
GREAT!!!

First, when doing the CYA testing, we only measure at the lines. Fill to a line, look, still a dot, look to the next line. Your CYA is 80.

Assuming you still have a swamp...
At a CYA of 80, you can try to slam, but may be a challenge. Usually more difficult when CYA is above 60. However, you have a small pool at 6800 gallons and it may be ok. Decision is a toss up.

Either A) replace about 2-3000 gallons first, then slam, or 2) take your chances and slam at 80. Slamming at 80 may take longer, or not work, then you will be forced to replace some water to get the CYA level down to be able to SLAM.

Follow the SLAM process LINK -->SLAM Process

You will need muriatic acid to reduce your pH, and a bunch of liquid chlorine for the slam. I'd get 8-10 gallons to start.

If you decide to replace water, look for "no drain exchange" in this article:

I didn't see my reply with test results so I am reposting.

FC 10.5ppm
pH 8.0+ (color was darker than the darkest pink on the color chart)
TA 100
CH 250
CYA 75ppm
Water temp 67.5 at 4:25pm

Also, if it makes a difference, the pressure reading on the pump is 43 which is way off. Our base is 10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.