Seeking Help Starting Up This Free Intex EasySet Today!

Aug 18, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi All,

I was given a used Intex EasySet 15' ABG and accessories last weekend. Unfortunately, it had a rip in the inflatable ring. I was gonna toss it out, but decided to tape a bunch of pool noodles I've acquired over the years together and threaded them in there instead. This afternoon I threw a tarp down on some semi-level ground and started filling. It seems to be doing the trick so far. :)

Now, it's almost full so I'm going to hook up the pump in the next hour and see if it works. If all goes well, hopefully this thing will last through the weekend, or maybe a week or two if we're lucky. In any case, some left over chemicals came with it and I picked up a bottle of pool bleach from Wal-Mart. What's the bare minimum we can do to jump in this thing for a bit this evening? I expect swimming around in the tap water won't hurt too much, but I'd like to get the chemistry in order within the next day or so. We'd just like to be able to use it for the next couple of days if we can.

Should I just put some of the liquid pool bleach in right away to start swimming, then dial things in tomorrow morning with the cheapy test kit and the rest of the chemicals that came with the pool? Any guidance here is much appreciated.

Thanks!

D

Get 2-3 ppm of fc in the water for tonight & jump in use PoolMath to calculate dosages.
Replenish fc daily
Follow the FC/CYA Levels
More than 2 or 3 ppm fc without cya can be harsh for swimmers & it will be gone in short order w/ the texas sun so tomorrow pick up some stabilizer/cya & more pool bleach
Then Follow this guide 👇

Thanks for the advice Mdragger88!

The pool filled up with no leaks! It's probably a couple inches out of level, but seems stable enough. The pump seems to work as well! I tossed in about 14oz of 10% Pool Bleach, which according to the Pool Math app should put FC at around 2.9ppm. I had some pool noodles left, so I hung a couple of my scuba diving lights on two of them and me and the wife enjoyed little nighttime swim. All in all, not bad for a free setup and my first pool.

IMG-6399.jpg

I'll test the water in the morning and start digging into the chemistry next!

Be very careful with the water level- even when those have a properly inflated ring if the water level goes too high they will collapse. It happens fast, its like watching a water balloon pop. Ask me how I know….
Is it possible to patch the ring so u can inflate it to help mitigate the risk of collapse?
Also, is there a pump/filter ? If not you will need to dump it & refill it on a regular basis.
Be forewarned that if u didn’t remove the grass underneath it & u leave it up for longer than 5-7 days the grass will die, then it will begin to decompose…
It smells like death ☠️ Like ALOT!
There’s really nothing u can do about it at that point but remove the dead grass or wait it out with your nose closed.
Our solution to this was to move the pool to a new spot every 5days or so. I don’t remember how many days was too many but it happened a couple of times & it was gross.
Moving the pool around inadvertently made our grass quite nice in the spots where the pool was if we didn’t wait too long because the weeds died but the bermuda greened back up quickly. When we got one with a filter we thought long & hard about placement & used roundup on the area 1st & let the grass die then removed it before placing the pool.

Be very careful with the water level- even when those have a properly inflated ring if the water level goes too high they will collapse. It happens fast, its like watching a water balloon pop. Ask me how I know….
Is it possible to patch the ring so u can inflate it to help mitigate the risk of collapse?
Also, is there a pump/filter ? If not you will need to dump it & refill it on a regular basis.
Be forewarned that if u didn’t remove the grass underneath it & u leave it up for longer than 5-7 days the grass will die, then it will begin to decompose…
It smells like death ☠️ Like ALOT!
There’s really nothing u can do about it at that point but remove the dead grass or wait it out with your nose closed.
Our solution to this was to move the pool to a new spot every 5days or so. I don’t remember how many days was too many but it happened a couple of times & it was gross.
Moving the pool around inadvertently made our grass quite nice in the spots where the pool was if we didn’t wait too long because the weeds died but the bermuda greened back up quickly. When we got one with a filter we thought long & hard about placement & used roundup on the area 1st & let the grass die then removed it before placing the pool.
Thanks for the tip on the water level. I'll keep an eye out for that. The water line is just below where the ring would start on the low side, and a couple of inches lower on the opposite side. The pool noodles inside the ring are adding a bit of loft in place of air, and keeping the ring section afloat, but we're still being very careful to not create too much water movement or wave motion. I'll probably add some more noodles, then maybe attempt a patch job, so if it stays inflated, great, but if it ends up deflating the noodles will be the redundant backup.

It came with an Intex Krystal Klear 637R 1000GPM pump/filter. We're in Central Texas and the spot it's in gets full sun most of the day, so that combined with two labrador retrievers equals little to no grass. I just raked away what dying grass was left before putting the tarp down. I do need to get something more on the ground around it besides dirt though, just to keep things from really turning into a mud pit.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.