Second year opening, Small bit of guidance needed

The picture above. It had the off pointed towards one of the returns.
Are they equal returns or is one for something else like a pressure side vac ?

Looking at your previous pics I also want to make sure you have the suction side at 90% skimmers and 10% drains. (Or there abouts). The SLAM process doesn't care either way but more skimming will help the onslaught of pollen right now. And in general after that.

Reactions: summertimesadness
Are they equal returns or is one for something else like a pressure side vac ?

Looking at your previous pics I also want to make sure you have the suction side at 90% skimmers and 10% drains. (Or there abouts). The SLAM process doesn't care either way but more skimming will help the onslaught of pollen right now. And in general after that.

Equal I believe. I don't have pressure side vac. Just two skimmers, bottom drain and the two wall returns.

I'll point the off to the bottom drain to improve skimming?

Attachments

• 20220830_133642.jpg
    20220830_133642.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 3
Late morning update.

Tested FC. It's just above SLAM level, as I added chlorine three hours prior, that's a bit of good news as the FC isn't dropping like it was. I let my robot do it's thing this morning and it collected a tremendous amount of Crud. Here is to clearing the pool water!

I got the hair nets for the skimmer baskets. I'll throw them on next time I test and hope it grabs the pollen etc.

Ahhh, progress.

Woke up to barely seeing the deep end bottom drain, but I saw it!

Scrubbed the bottom and walls to dust clouds. Put in the CL required and turned the VS to quick clean to get the skimmer etc circulating well.

At least, progress!

More skimming action will stop more of it from getting to the floor. 🤷‍♂️

But while you're brushing, switch to 100% drains. (When there's heavy floor debris). They don't have much pull though so you'll have to get the cloud right over them. You can control it surprisingly well going gentle. Then go back to mostly skimming when you're done brushing. Give it some time to settle and try again later.

Or manually vac. Nothing beats it for heavy debris.

Or run 57 robot cycles beacuse pressing a button is easier and makes up for the lesser efficiency at it.

More skimming action will stop more of it from getting to the floor. 🤷‍♂️

But while you're brushing, switch to 100% drains. (When there's heavy floor debris). They don't have much pull though so you'll have to get the cloud right over them. You can control it surprisingly well going gentle. Then go back to mostly skimming when you're done brushing. Give it some time to settle and try again later.

Or manually vac. Nothing beats it for heavy debris.

Or run 57 robot cycles beacuse pressing a button is easier and makes up for the lesser efficiency at it.

I was thinking the clouds were because of possible algae, not what was falling from the surface 🤔

Good tip on the drain bit. I'll do that the next time. It's looking to thunderstorm here at some point so the robot will be holding off until later or tomorrow. But I'll brush in between passes of rain.

I was thinking the clouds were because of possible algae, not what was falling from the surface 🤔
That too. But everything is yellow for us right now so there's guaranteed pollen and *possibly* algae for some.

Without brushing, the drains won't suck anything up off the floor either way, so only favor them when brushing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So far, so good.

From Monday vs Today.

I added in the appropriate amount of salt vs the test I did.

Gonna do an overnight test tonight. I do have to clean out behind the light tomorrow though. Last year was... yucky.

If I pass the test, then I'll be turning on the SWCG. If not, another day of slamming.

20240520_103707.jpg20240524_153854.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: newdude
Ahhhh. Failed.

FC 12.5 last night around 1030

This morning before the sun hit, 10. 😔

CC was 0 tho. But it did drop 2.5.

Added LC up to 16 again. Gonna wait till this afternoon to get behind the light.

Only place I haven't scrubbed yet.

Ahhhh. Failed.
That's OK because it's way easier at this stage. You'll lose a similar amount of FC today to algae that you did last night. 2.5 isn't much at all. Then you'll also lose what you would have lost either way to the sun today. Then maybe a little bit more with a 16FC and higher levels burning off faster. Mayne not that much to even notice.

Less than a gallon more than normal operating loss, isn't much of a problem, for there currently being a 'problem', you know ?
Only place I haven't scrubbed yet
Every. inch. Then do it again. Somebody found their auto fill all gunked up 2(?) years ago, after a prolonged slam they couldn't finish. They probably stepped over it 200 times during the slam but it never crossed their mind.

Step back and just scan each general area asking what could possibly be hiding *that way*. Get the spouse and/or kids involved for fresh eyes.

That's OK because it's way easier at this stage. You'll lose a similar amount of FC today to algae that you did last night. 2.5 isn't much at all. Then you'll also lose what you would have lost either way to the sun today. Then maybe a little bit more with a 16FC and higher levels burning off faster. Mayne not that much to even notice.

Less than a gallon more than normal operating loss, isn't much of a problem, for there currently being a 'problem', you know ?

Every. inch. Then do it again. Somebody found their auto fill all gunked up 2(?) years ago, after a prolonged slam they couldn't finish. They probably stepped over it 200 times during the slam but it never crossed their mind.

Step back and just scan each general area asking what could possibly be hiding *that way*. Get the spouse and/or kids involved for fresh eyes.

Don't have any extra stuff with the pool (ladder hasn't been in yet). The only two things left is the light and the drains. I've been running the robot daily now.

Reactions: newdude
One drain had a lot, the other a little.

Behind the light had some, but not as much as last year.

Hopefully that'll help. I re tested the FC since this AM and it's only .5 lower than when I added LC to 16.

I'll do an overnight test again and see where I'm at.

I have to add 5 lbs of CYA stabilizer. I am about 2 ounces short, will it make that much of a difference?
2 ounces of anything on 20k gallons is insignificant. I mean. Maybe plutonium or something. But for pool chems, it's close enough.

Poolmath says it's 1 CYA and that won't even be testable as we struggle enough with 10s. :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support