Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey all! Apologies for the long note.

Opened my sw pool for the first time two weeks ago. Had it installed last June so used it most of the summer without any issues. I'm waiting for my Taylor test kit to arrive (hard to get these in Canada) but used a test strip to get an idea on chemistry. I quickly understood that pool store testing is a money grab for expensive unnecessary chemicals. Pool looks clear and beautiful just cold at 60d but planning to start heat and swim this weekend.

1. Water test (strip)
Salt 2770 low (used digital reader)
Chlorine low
Ph high - this normal for opening?
TA high - this normal for opening?
CA - ideal
Liquid chlorine was added at opening

2. Running pump usually 24/7 at low rpm. (Will this hurt my cwg if salt level is low? )

3. Planning to add some salt today (1/2 bag first than test from there)
Pump on or off when adding salt?
I heard you should brush it in to dissolve first before running pump?

4. Should I clean filter? if so, any tutorials on the site for my specific cartridge filter?

5. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Appreciate you guys and this wonderful page!

1. Water test (strip)
Salt 2770 low (used digital reader)
Chlorine low
Ph high - this normal for opening?
TA high - this normal for opening?
CA - ideal
Liquid chlorine was added at opening

Post your tests when you get your TF-100

2. Running pump usually 24/7 at low rpm. (Will this hurt my cwg if salt level is low? )

No, it will not hurt your SWG.

3. Planning to add some salt today (1/2 bag first than test from there)
Pump on or off when adding salt?
Pump ON, SWG OFF or at 0%

I heard you should brush it in to dissolve first before running pump?
Pump ON; SWG OFF or at 0% brush salt and don't let it sit on the pool floor.

4. Should I clean filter? if so, any tutorials on the site for my specific cartridge filter?

Yes...

I can only get the k-2006 here in Canada. Hoping this one will work. Should I get the speed stir?

Get the K-2006C kit. The 2006 without the C has small amounts of reagents that will not last a season or two.

Speed stir is very nice to have and makes testing more accurate.

Thanks will do.
The test strip came back great on everything but went to pool store for test because my Taylor isn't arriving until next week and we wanted to swim this long wknd.

Results attached.

Looks like Ph and TA are very high. CYA is very low and I think chlorine could be higher in the purple.

They say I'm at extreme risk for algae but pool looks crystal clear. I can never trust these stores. Any thoughts/recos?

Attachments

• 17159805563617734398208061085870.jpg
    17159805563617734398208061085870.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 17159806144645969452906500329602.jpg
    17159806144645969452906500329602.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 3
Your pool needs chlorine and stabilizer.

How do you chlorinate your pool?

Through the salt cell and some liquid chlorine was added at opening two weeks ago.

I just added 1.3kg of PH minus and keep adding for next 2 days but not sure what I should be doing. Following their steps or just boost my salt cell and add stabilizer instead?

I would not follow the Pool Store recommendations. We do not trust Pool Store testing or their advice.

Add stabilizer and increase your FC using your SWG or with liquid chlorine.

When you get your test kit and post your water chemistry we can get more specific.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Done. Thanks again

I'm reading the sock method can take a couple days. If I crank the chlorine now and overnight can we swim tomorrow?
Yes.

Get the stabilizer dissolving and assume it is in the water.