Muscatine/IA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Sorry to jump in late on this thread but mine looks worse than this every opening in May. I just fill the pool real full with water and then vac a lot to waste. All the while keeping the hose going to pool. Then when i think i have most of the stuff, worms and whatever else off bottom, then i start adding liquid chlorine ( i hit it hard) and maybe adjust the pH a bit. Never add anything else until i get it pretty clear and then start CYA/salt addition. Adding CYA/salt or other stuff earlier is wasting money.

Adding CYA/salt or other stuff earlier is wasting money.
You need a 30 CYA or you risk bleaching the liner / finish from the FC.

In this case, we needed to rid the ammonia before raising the CYA, or it would have made more ammonia. So FC came first, then CYA, then a simultaneous SLAM and crud removal.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I must be real lucky.
It doesn't matter how many times Dump and Pray worked. One fail changes most folks opinion on it when their liner is bleached. There's tons of threads about it, It totally happens.

TFP is about knowledge and precision with said knowledge.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Sorry to jump in late but mine looks worse than this every opening in May. I just fill the pool real full with water and then vac a lot to waste. All the while keeping the hose going to pool. Then when i think i have most of the stuff, worms and whatever else off bottom, then i start adding liquid chlorine ( i hit it hard) and maybe adjust the pH a bit. Never add anything else until i get it pretty clear and then start CYA/salt addition. Adding CYA/salt or other stuff earlier is wasting money.
Also, If you have little to no cya (like the OP) both the sun & the algae are rapidly consuming the fc. Having 30ppm cya helps you use less chlorine & means what you add stays around long enough to kill the algae.

I dont add cya at first because i am just gonna pump it out on vac to waste. When you have a heavy load of "dirt" and other critters from a 8 month close there is a lot of vac to waste and slamming. Ben's original FC/CYA chart has about 12 mg for FC at 0 -10 CYA. That is typical for where i start on CYA.

Also, If you have little to no cya (like the OP) both the sun & the algae are rapidly consuming the fc. Having 30ppm cya helps you use less chlorine & means what you add stays around long enough to kill the algae.
Sun is not a factor in this scenario because this is trying to clear up water from opening. Consumption by oxidation is what i am concerned with on start up. CYA is a long term goal for save Chlorine from sun.

Sun is not a factor in this scenario because this is trying to clear up water from opening.
Yes, it is. With zero CYA the sun will consume chlorine faster than any algae can.

Not to mention that without CYA the difference between having enough chlorine to kill algae and enough to lighten the color of a vinyl liner is particularly small...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support