Salt water chemical levels

Mkstretch

May 24, 2020
ny
Ok so I have a vinyl salt water pool. I’m seeing different ranges for balancing chemicals. I am getting;
total chlorine of about .4
free chlorine 2.4
ph 7.7
cya about 65
alkalinity 120
calcium hardness 60
thanks!

lager1829

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
Lancaster County, PA
How are you testing? If you are using one of the recommended test kits, CYA you round up, so 70 which is good for a salt water pool. I would put some liquid chlorine in there to get up to 5 or 6 then let the SWCG maintain.

Mkstretch

May 24, 2020
ny
Hey Lager,
im using Taylor 2006 to test. So your saying my numbers are all good except I need to bring my free chlorine up to 5 or 6?

lager1829

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
Lancaster County, PA
TA is a bit high but if pH is stable I would leave it. Maybe some one could chime in here on that. TFP guidelines for salt water pools recommend to keep FC between 4 and 6. I shoot for 6. Also pH will settle in between 7.8 and 8 don't waste muriatic acid to go lower than that.

Reactions: Mkstretch

Mkstretch

May 24, 2020
ny
Thanks guys! I was a little confused cause I was seeing Total alkalinity should be no higher than 90 and that FC is good at 1-3.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Your TA can be higher as your CH is so low that scale is not an issue. Do watch your pH as it will rise quicker with the high TA.

Not sure where you got 1-3ppm FC -- definitely not TFPC.

Reactions: Mkstretch

Mkstretch

May 24, 2020
ny
Your TA can be higher as your CH is so low that scale is not an issue. Do watch your pH as it will rise quicker with the high TA.

Not sure where you got 1-3ppm FC -- definitely not TFPC.
Thank you! No. on here I’ve seen 3-10. On my SWG it says FC 1-3ppm

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
What is that for? You do realize TFPC does not use pool store potions nor their recommendations or testing, right?

Post your test results from your own test kit.

You need to determine how much FC your SWCG can create in your pool each day. The only one I get by searching based on your signature is a unit that can create 0.4 lbs of chlorine gas per day. That will add 5.6 ppm FC per day if run 24 hours at 100%. I would suggest you start with running it 12 hours per day at 100% generation.

Mkstretch

May 24, 2020
ny
What is that for? You do realize TFPC does not use pool store potions nor their recommendations or testing, right?

Post your test results from your own test kit.

You need to determine how much FC your SWCG can create in your pool each day. The only one I get by searching based on your signature is a unit that can create 0.4 lbs of chlorine gas per day. That will add 5.6 ppm FC per day if run 24 hours at 100%. I would suggest you start with running it 12 hours per day at 100% generation.
Oh ok