Lithia Springs, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Afternoon folks this is my third season of pool ownership and I’m struggling. See below and I’m open to suggestions.

==========================================
Huckleberry
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 38000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 0.1 (26 minutes ago)
pH: 8.1 (26 minutes ago)
TA: 119 (26 minutes ago)
CH: 170 (26 minutes ago)
CYA: 54 (26 minutes ago)
SALT: 2781 (26 minutes ago)
==========================================
Chemical Addition 04-28-2024 @ 12:58 PM
+ 72 Ounces of DryAcid

Test Results 04-28-2024 @ 12:45 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.1
pH: 8.1
Total Alkalinity: 119
Calcium Hardness: 170
CYA: 54
Salt: 2781

Chemical Addition 04-27-2024 @ 04:16 PM
+ 256 Ounces of Borax

Chemical Addition 04-27-2024 @ 11:21 AM
+ 256 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 04-27-2024 @ 11:05 AM
Free Chlorine: 0.3
pH: 7.1
Total Alkalinity: 109
Calcium Hardness: 189
CYA: 52
Salt: 3306

Hey DrATL and Welcome !!!!

Digital water testers have long proven here to be inaccurate, and are responsible for most of our new members.

Time and time and time and time again.

We know how to use Taylor drop based kits, very very well I might add, and stick to giving advice from them. For example, the TA is actually adjusted Alkalinity and different than the total alkalinity. We don't even mess with that version of the TA test.

Both TF kits are better values in their respective price bracket :
Test Kits Compared

Not possible to measure the TA, CH, and CYA to a single digit with a proper test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Read the instructions again
So helpful...

TA Test:
1. Rise and fill large comparator tube to 25mL mark w/water to be tested
2. Add 2 drops R-0007. Swirl to mix
3. Add 5 drops R-0008. Swirl to mix. Sample will turn green
4. Add R-0009 dropwise, swirling and counting after each drop, until color changes from green to red
5. MULTIPLY DROPS in step 4 by 10. Record as parts per million (ppm) total alkalinity as calcium carbonate

So, 11 drops multiplied by 10 means 110...

Is there some secret squirrel instructions that aren't visible...

I think the problem is that you probably have a typo in your results in the first post. It says TA 119. Guessing you meant 110. Sorry you didn't get a helpful response.

Re: Your CYA of 54, did you interpolate between 50 & 60? If so, your CYA is 60. The results increase exponentially, so anything between 50 and 60 is treated as 60.

How did you get 2781 for Salt?

I think the problem is that you probably have a typo in your results in the first post. It says TA 119. Guessing you meant 110. Sorry you didn't get a helpful response.

Re: Your CYA of 54, did you interpolate between 50 & 60? If so, your CYA is 60. The results increase exponentially, so anything between 50 and 60 is treated as 60.

How did you get 2781 for Salt?
I have a salt meter, but went back and double checked and it came back at 3190. As for CYA, I just made an educated guess to get back between 50 & 60 but rounding up to 60 makes sense.

To try and get FC up. According to the app, I need to add bleach (again). To ensure I don't have some diluted, I just went and bought new Clorox and going to dump it into the pool.

Reactions: Newdude
bought new Clorox and going to dump it into the pool.
Just checking to make sure you didn’t buy Clorox brand. Most of that has additives we don’t want in our pools. Color safe, splashless, scented, etc…stuff we don’t want. Walmart has just plain chlorine. The stuff in the Pool Aisle is good.

Reactions: Newdude
Just checking to make sure you didn’t buy Clorox brand. Most of that has additives we don’t want in our pools. Color safe, splashless, scented, etc…stuff we don’t want. Walmart has just plain chlorine. The stuff in the Pool Aisle is good.
I did. I used some we bought from Aldi and it didn’t raise my FC at all. So went to Sam’s club and bought regular Clorox in the 121 oz bottle (3 pack).

11 drops...
Ok so 110 (y)

I’m struggling
So what are you struggling with ?

How does the water look ?

If the SWG isn't maintaining the FC level, you should Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure an nascent algae bloom isn't consuming more FC than you're producing.

Does your test kit have the powder FC test ? You need the K1515 if not. The comparator block FC test is vague and inaccurate over 3ppm.

Ok so 110 (y)

So what are you struggling with ?

How does the water look ?

If the SWG isn't maintaining the FC level, you should Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure an nascent algae bloom isn't consuming more FC than you're producing.

Does your test kit have the powder FC test ? You need the K1515 if not. The comparator block FC test is vague and inaccurate over 3ppm.
Fighting with getting my FC up, I am thinking my salt cell might be acting up but I replaced it in 2021 so it is still under warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support