T1DSoldier

May 11, 2019
hello all,
I am replacing my vinyl liner and the bottom of the pool is concrete not vermiculite. I know this because it's rained and it is holding water. I have read it's fine and good contractors use concrete instead of vermiculite. Regardless the liner I just pulled out was wrinkled like a brain from shallow end to deep end. The liner was also pulled out of track in a few places. Other than that no water lose for a year.
My concern is rain water could slowly get under the liner from the sidewalls and not be able to drain and cause wrinkles.
Is this a legitimate concerns? If it is should I drill some relief holes and fill with sand or vermiculite?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Attachments

• IMAG3432.jpg
    IMAG3432.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG3456.jpg
    IMAG3456.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
That looks like vermiculite to me. It's not soft when ita been there a while it feels like concrete. Dont drill holes in it and DONT leave that pool like that. Clean the bottom and get that liner in asap. If you have ground water it's not gonna matter now you have to deal with it outside of the pool. Steel wall pools need water to hold the walls up that's what pushes against the earth. Clean that algae too it will eventually show through liner when it turns black

I am betting it was a poor install followed by poor chemical balance in the pool before you every got it.

Here is a set to links to help you care for your new liner when you get it:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

TFPC is based on having your own test kit. Here is a link to show you the different ones we endorse:
Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool I will tell you the TF-100 has more of the regents we use the most often. The Taylor 2006C is the next best as for as amount of regents.

Kim:kim:

That looks like vermiculite to me. It's not soft when ita been there a while it feels like concrete. Dont drill holes in it and DONT leave that pool like that. Clean the bottom and get that liner in asap. If you have ground water it's not gonna matter now you have to deal with it outside of the pool. Steel wall pools need water to hold the walls up that's what pushes against the earth. Clean that algae too it will eventually show through liner when it turns black
The liner is going in this week. Luckly I don't have a ground water issue. I thought the point of Vermiculite was to have a hard surface but allow drainage? Yeah I still have a little work till the liner goes in. I found paperwork that the liner was replaced in 2001 and there was vermiculite work done but I think it was just done at the base of the wall. The pool contractor said some spots feel like vermiculite and some feel like concrete "can't scratch it". I just want to make sure that's it's done right

In the photo is a minimum of 4 to 1; cement / v16.
It’s a cement rich v16 mix, it was mixed on site; not bag mix.
I'm assuming thats ok? I found paperwork that the liner was replaced in 2001 and there was vermiculite work done at that time but I think it was just done at the base of the wall. The pool contractor said some spots feel like vermiculite and some feel like concrete "can't scratch it".

Attachments

• IMAG3456.jpg
    IMAG3456.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 13
I am betting it was a poor install followed by poor chemical balance in the pool before you every got it.

Here is a set to links to help you care for your new liner when you get it:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

TFPC is based on having your own test kit. Here is a link to show you the different ones we endorse:
Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool I will tell you the TF-100 has more of the regents we use the most often. The Taylor 2006C is the next best as for as amount of regents.

Kim:kim:
I did buy k-2006 kit is that ok? House was empty for two years and the mail lady said even when people did live here new saw anyone in the pool. The surrounding area was very over grown so I am hoping the liner condition was due to lack of maintenance but I just wanted to be sure. My old neighbor in Jersey loves this site.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to check your kit and see if you have a FAS-DPD test. I think I have to purchase one alone with my Taylor test kit. That's been a long time ago so it may have changed since then. Instead of matching colors you do a drop test to measure the chlorine level. It is much more accurate. Try tftestkits.net for the kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.