Really NEED some input! Dig is done! Coastal SoCal new build

Re: Really NEED some input! Dig starts tomorrow and I'm lost! Coastal SoCal new bui

Shelf needs to go bye-bye. I would run the steps to the end of the cut away and call it good. I would not put anything in the end of the shallow end. That allows more play room with out worry of bumping or tripping on it.

Hum the nedgative-edge is a good idea! It would be more of a challenge so might deter them some! Good idea!

Kim:kim:

Ok, so I'm clear, you're suggesting keep the stairs exactly where they are, but run them that extra foot or so to the end of that small cut out? And of course get rid of the sun shelf.

Re: Really NEED some input! Dig starts tomorrow and I'm lost! Coastal SoCal new bui

YES! You got what I was saying. That will allow the steps to be used as a seating area due to their size.

Thank you! I like it! :goodjob:

Now can I get back to the bling? haha
Going to go over the upgrade of equipment with PB- he's open to any ideas so that's good.
For lights, I'm thinking that we'll need 2 globrites spaced evenly facing away from the house, and the one in the spa should probably be on the opposite wall of the spa than where it is now so it isn't facing the rest of the yard....?

Nope no BLING talk yet :( Lets work on the light placement first.

I say we put a light were the shelf used to be facing the far wall of the pool. This will light up that area of the pool. I worry that the light on the wall by the house will not reach into that corner causing it to be very dark there. The placement on the house wall is good. The spa I am thinking of putting it on the side of the spa that is the closest to the house. That way it will not shine into any eyes.

Now if you want to get really fancy you could put one of those pretty pole lights on the outside of the pool in the far corner away from the house and spa (bottom left corner when looking at the house). I LOVE those lights. You can have the wire and such run to that when they are doing the electric and plumbing.

Nope no BLING talk yet :( Lets work on the light placement first.

I say we put a light were the shelf used to be facing the far wall of the pool. This will light up that area of the pool. I worry that the light on the wall by the house will not reach into that corner causing it to be very dark there. The placement on the house wall is good. The spa I am thinking of putting it on the side of the spa that is the closest to the house. That way it will not shine into any eyes.

Now if you want to get really fancy you could put one of those pretty pole lights on the outside of the pool in the far corner away from the house and spa (bottom left corner when looking at the house). I LOVE those lights. You can have the wire and such run to that when they are doing the electric and plumbing.

Yes, I was thinking the same on the lighting. I guess it depends on whether lighting is important to you or not, as the person building the pool. I am in the middle of a build and my PB usually puts in what is equivalent, in LED, to (2) 500 watt jobs. I opted for (3) and then a tanning ledge light and then a tanning ledge bubbler light. PB says he cannot wait to see what happens with this. But there will be no lack of lighting! But I am a lighting guy.

With the removal of the sun shelf, the one light for sure won't be enough? Hubby thinks an LED in the center (where it is now) will be plenty to bounce off the opposite wall and fill the pool with light. But- I want lots of light and no dark corners, so..... ??? Also, if we put a light where the shelf used to be, directed at the far wall, will it shine into eyes of people in the spa? Let me see if I can mark up the plans to show where seating areas will likely be around the pool....
OK- pink areas are possible seating areas around the pool, as well as the area to the left (off the photo) which is the largest covered patio and mingling area of the yard.

43806116370_9e220d80fa_b.jpg

If you are getting rid of the little shelf and just do steps wider would look like this, and maybe 2 globrites or 2 led lights on the side 1 in the spa.

My globrites are around 7-8' apart each, I can measure exactly. How bright do you want it to be at night? Mine might be a bit bright lol.

CEIxpe4.jpg

For some reason I can't "grab" the pic to draw on :( So here goes my idea in words.

See where the word patio is? I was thinking the light would go right under there where the line for the coping is right under the letter a in patio. If you put it there it will not shine right in the eyes of anyone sitting in the area at the back of the pool.

LOVE how the pool looks that martuned drew without the shelf. Don't really care for the two lights on that wall though as it does not address my worry about the dark area on the small area by the covered patio. Now if there is a light on the house in that area that can/will shine in that area you will be okay with just the one light in the pool and one in the spa.

Wait, wait, wait...................Think about this............IF the light was on the back wall of the pool facing the house there is no seating or such by that part of the house so no way for it to shine into eyes. You could put it right across from where martuned put the light (by the line that says 9.6') If it will not shine into a window that would bother you then that MAY be the way to go. One light without any steps or walls to block it!!

Wow thank you guys!!! Both ideas sound really good. Thank you for redoing the pool sketch for me, Martin! I love how the stairs look all the way to the end of the bump. How did you do that? Exciting to see it like that! :) <3
I want the pool to be pretty bright at night so kids can enjoy it and easily see where the bottom and stairs are. Like this:
globrite-feature-2.jpg

If the main pool light was moved to the opposite side, it would face the master bedroom. There is a slider with roman shades on it, so the light wouldn't be an issue, but we'd never be in there needing darkness when the kids were in the pool anyway so maybe that is a better spot for it? But would that corner toward the upper right be blocked by the spa poking out?

I'm not sure I'm understanding the globrites- I thought they were the only lights I needed for white or color pool lightning. But on the site it says "for shallow areas". Is there something better used for the deep areas? Or is that a dumb question? It feels like it was a dumb question lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DOH! I did not even notice the fact the far wall light might cause the same problem for the spa corner as the close wall light will do to the step space! DOH again LOL

So back to plan ??? One light on close to the house wall and one on "step wall".

Not sure about how the globrites work. Why would they only be good for shallow areas? Maybe they don't cast a "long" light? We will have to check on that. I will work on it after tomorrow (Kindergarten Teacher and tomorrow is Halloween so...........I am going to be FRIED after all of the *fun* to be had tomorrow LOL)

Aside from the lighting issue, can we talk about two other things? 1) Which specific equipment? And 2) Would you put a seat shelf or foot shelf thingy in the deep end somewhere?

I'd like to have a more specific list for my PB than the basic stuff he has on the bid. Since a lot of it is Pentair, then staying with that brand brings me to:
Pentair:
IntelliFlo VS Pump
420 sq. ft Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter
He has "Pentair 400K Nat gas heater"- wondering if it is the ETi® 400?? no other pentair heater has a 400 in it...
IntelliChlor IC40
EasyTouch- not sure which one I need
Do I need the
IntelliChem® Water Chemistry Controller ?

How about the cleaner? Do I want a robot? We don't have trees anywhere near the pool and it doesn't rain much here to blow stuff in... the surrounding area will be pavers and maybe some faux grass.

With a spa I definitely suggest the EasyTouch (be sure it is NOT a Lite system). You should add Screenlogic for remote control. Or Pentair has a new system called IntelliCenter. Not many out there yet but something to consider.

You do NOT want an Intellichem. It attempts to control your FC and pH. The pH part works, the FC part does not.

Is your pool 20K gallons or less? If so, the IC40 is perfect.

No idea on the gas heater. I suppose California may have something special, they usually do.

- - - Updated - - -

Cleaner -- Robot. All the way.

The heater is more than likely the MasterTemp 400. If you can talk him into a Raypak 406A then that's the route I'd take. It will integrate with your automation without issue.

The globrites can be used in any depth of water. Pentair has a new version called the MicroBrite which I suggest using.

I'm a fan of a lot of lights. This is 8 Globrites...

62228.jpg

This is 5 in a relatively small pool:

24632.jpg

You can always turn the lights off... you can't turn moron :hammer:

They have the equipment covered so I will hit on the bench in the deep end. I WOULD put one by the spa in front of the back seating area. That way people can sit there to chat with the spa and seating area back there. I would also put a "step" right where the bench meets the spa to serve as a step out of the pool. People will enjoy using it to get out of the pool to pop into the spa or to sit in the back area. You can even make it varied heights. Part to chest, another part to the tummy then the step to get out.

With a spa I definitely suggest the EasyTouch (be sure it is NOT a Lite system). You should add Screenlogic for remote control. Or Pentair has a new system called IntelliCenter. Not many out there yet but something to consider.

Ok- I'm super confused over all these options:
EASYTOUCH SYSTEMS WITHOUT INTELLICHLOR TRANSFORMER BUILT-IN
ProductModel #
520591EasyTouch 4P - Single Body (base system - no ICP, no actuators)
520703EasyTouch 8P - Single Body (base system - no ICP, no actuators)
520538EasyTouch 4 - Pool/Spa (base system - no ICP, 2 actuators)
520540EasyTouch 8 - Pool/Spa (base system - no ICP, 2 actuators)
EASYTOUCH SYSTEMS WITH INTELLICHLOR TRANSFORMER AND INTELLICHLOR CELL
ProductModel
520592EasyTouch 4PSC-IC20 - Single Body (includes SCG integration & IC20 cell)
520593EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 - Single Body (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell)
520704EasyTouch 8PSC-IC20 - Single Body (includes SCG integration & IC20 cell)
520705EasyTouch 8PSC-IC40 - Single Body (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell)
520542EasyTouch 4SC-IC20 - Pool/Spa (includes SCG integration & IC20 cell, 2 actuators)
520543EasyTouch 4SC-IC40 - Pool/Spa (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell, 2 actuators)
520544EasyTouch 8SC-IC20 - Pool/Spa (includes SCG integration & IC20 cell, 2 actuators)
520545EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 - Pool/Spa (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell, 2 actuators)
521150EasyTouch 8SC-IC60 - Pool/Spa (includes SCG integration & IC60 cell, 2 actuators)

You do NOT want an Intellichem. It attempts to control your FC and pH. The pH part works, the FC part does not -- .intellipH?

Is your pool 20K gallons or less? If so, the IC40 is perfect.Yes, I think we are right around 20,000 by what I got on "Pool Math" for a 15x31 4-7 deep pool.

No idea on the gas heater. I suppose California may have something special, they usually do. So true.....

- - - Updated - - -

Cleaner -- Robot. All the way Any you recommend for my size pool/needs?.

I feel like I need to just give him exactly what to order and then figure out how it all works. Things are going to start moving fast! Thank you!!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I will be adding and intelliPH not intellichem.
I'll need to learn about that!

They have the equipment covered so I will hit on the bench in the deep end. I WOULD put one by the spa in front of the back seating area. That way people can sit there to chat with the spa and seating area back there. I would also put a "step" right where the bench meets the spa to serve as a step out of the pool. People will enjoy using it to get out of the pool to pop into the spa or to sit in the back area. You can even make it varied heights. Part to chest, another part to the tummy then the step to get out.

I like that idea! I was thinking we should have some sort of step out near the spa. How many inches deep do you recommend a standing ledge or seat ledge be?
Now can we get to the bling? hahahaha

Still working on where the lights need to go. Sheesh!

The heater is more than likely the MasterTemp 400. If you can talk him into a Raypak 406A then that's the route I'd take. It will integrate with your automation without issue. Thank you! Can you tell me why you recommend it so that if I get pushback at all, I'll know why? :)

The globrites can be used in any depth of water. Pentair has a new version called the MicroBrite which I suggest using. Ooh- I'll look into them. Would you recommend using 2,3, 4?? of them? I'm still not quite sure where to place lights. They are coming Tuesday to start the next phase!

I'm a fan of a lot of lights. Me too!

Other thing is, we'd like the automation unit to have a network jack. Is that pretty common? Thank you!

Okay, okay, okay twist my arm! We can talk bling!

So on the steps and bench/step by spa you can/should put in "marker" tiles. You can use your waterline tile. If you pick 6x6 tiles you can have them cut in 1/4s and turn them on their points to use as the maker tiles. If you pick 1x1 tiles you can run two rows for a pretty set up OR you can use 4 of them to make a "diamond" and space them out evenly. If you pick the 1x1 you will want them to use the plaster instead of grout on the marker part.

So show me what you like and I will help you pick it out!!!

Other thing is, we'd like the automation unit to have a network jack. Is that pretty common? Thank you!

The IntelliCenter (Pentair's newest automation system) has a network jack. If you use the EasyTouch or Intellitouch you will need Screenlogic for computer/cell phone control.

The Raypak has no moving parts, is extremely simple and easy to repair. It is without question the most reliable heater out there and it costs the same as the others...

I'll whip up a lighting diagram later

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.