Really NEED some input! Dig is done! Coastal SoCal new build

pewl

Aug 3, 2018
Coastal SoCal
Tomorrow is Day 1 and I've really put off deciding on most things because with all the city's hoops we had to jump through for being near a hillside, our pool almost didn't happen.

We're in south-west LA with a beautiful ocean view. No trees in the yard to drop stuff in the pool, lots of sun, barely any rain.
My goal was to make the pool a blingy, beautiful reflection of the Pacific beyond. But tile is only a minor issue with all the other decisions to make-quickly!

Here is our plan:

IMG_1687.jpg

And this is some of what is included with our bid:
(I know there will be some upgrades needed- so please throw any suggestions my way!)

31 x 15 pool (may try to add a foot to the width if this measurement is before rebar, shotcrete, plaster??) with 7.5', 18" raised spa

Pentair 400K Nat gas heater
Intelli-Flo Variable pump
420 sq. ft Cartridge Filter
3" P-trap
Spa- 6 jets w/ air venturi 5 return lines
Deep heat system 21/2" suctions
auto fill water system
over-flow system
3 way valves @ equip area, 11/2" pool vac line
220v timeclock w/gfci for 500 watt pool light and 100 watt spa light
plaster pool any color, adjustable eyeball fittings at return lines
Vortex anti entrapment covers on all drains
dual port skimmer
I have no idea what most of these things are (although I am reading "Pool School" like a madwoman and starting to understand...). My hubby is the type to just trust the builder, but I am always looking to learn and research better options that might be worth the upgrade!

The pool is set to be 3'-7', but I read 3' is a waste and that it is better to start at 3.5 or 4' so may change that with your input! Also, we can easily go deeper as well because our concrete pad has to start 12' down. Should we do an 8' deep pool?

I know the pool lighting does not seem right- I think I need to upgrade there as well.

I remember reading about being fully automated- what do I need to upgrade for that?

Thanks so much for taking a look and I look forward to sharing this journey with you!

:)

Re: Really NEED some input! Dig starts tomorrow and I'm clueless! :(

Hi Kim!
Thanks for the reply! Let me take a better pic....

IMG_1688.jpg

The pool will be in the back far side of the yard. The squares on the bottom-left side in the pic is just where the hardscape will be. The rectangle shapes are existing patios. To the far left is a large covered patio off the house. The one right above/in line with the pool is expendable if we don't want it. It was originally meant to just be a landing off the master slider. The straight line at the bottom is the beginning of the slope which we have to stay 10' from, unless we want to spend $$$$$$$$ on caissons. WHich is actually fine, because it will be nice to have a seating area on the side with the view anyway.

Oh- and the tile I was first thinking of was Arctic Lagoon 1x2, but it was discontinued due to cracking issues, so I am looking at a similar version from Mastertile. I want to use that pretty, blingy tile on the waterline, steps, and spa. I think the spa will have an infinity edge type thing going on. ;)

How big is the sun shelf?

I am thinking another light over by the bottom, left corner as that could be a dark area as I worry the steps and shelf may block that one big light.

Ahhhhhhh BLING!!! Are you doing that for me?????? LOL I AM the BLING :queen:

Can you take and share a pic from the back of the pool towards the house so we can see how it will all fit in.

Are there any lights on that part of the outside of the house?

Kim:kim:

No sun shelf. Since it isn't a huge pool, we wanted to maximize the swimming area. There is a small landing thingy he drew in there (maybe for the kids to sit in the shallow water and play there? Maybe a waste of space- either go bigger or cut it down?
Haha on the bling- we must be soul sisters! I <3 the bling, too. My house is Tuscan, but I want a VEGAS pool, lol! There are lights on the back of the house.

And the bling samples:
IMG_1689 (1).jpg

OKay so if you do go 8' deep you will want to go longer and there will be quite a fast drop from the 4' to the 8' with it being that short. There is a formula for this. I will see if I can find it.

What ages and gender of the kids? Do YOU like to dive down and dive into the pool?

Thinking about the BLING. I have a couple of ideas I will throw at your later!

Thanks! Looking forward to bling ideas. :D Kids are 4,10,12. They will definitely be jumping and diving in and will want to pick up those sinking toys at the bottom. Hubs and I will likely get pulled into their "jumping competitions" occasionally. ;)
I was thinking since it was originally 3'-7' we could easily switch that to from 4'-8', but if that isn't possible, I'm not against 7' depth, but 3' seems way too shallow.

I really need to start learning about all the stuff the PB might be ordering soon so that I know where we need to upgrade. It's so overwhelming when my days and nights are spent exclusively running kids to sports, helping with homework, figuring out what to feed them lol and I just don't have time to sit and focus on learning this stuff in a time crunch. Ughhhhh!!!!! I need pool equipment Cliff Notes. :( ETA- I've now been reading as much Pool School as my brain can take haha!

Looks like although I told PB I want a salt water system and not just old school chlorine, that's what we have in the contract at this point? (See 1st post.) I don't see a SWCG. I'm assuming my calculation of about 20,000 gallons would mean I'd need a SWG that is recommended for 40,000 gallon pool. Am I looking at something like the Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Hayward Aqua Rite, or the Jandy Aquapure 1400? And dumb question- does getting a SWCG replace something on my equipment list already, or is it just another thing to buy?

Re: Really NEED some input! Dig starts tomorrow and I'm lost! Coastal SoCal new bui

There is no SWCG on your equipment list. With a spa you will want an automation system.

The pump, SWCG, and automation system are best to be from one manufacturer.

Re: Really NEED some input! Dig starts tomorrow and I'm lost! Coastal SoCal new bui

Pushing the bling aside and working through the list above. Do you have a good person you can ask about stuff at the PB's office? I have some things for you to ask them about:

-"Deep heat system 21/2" suctions"-what is this? Details please
-Intelli-Flo Variable pump-Model number please
-420 sq. ft Cartridge Filter-model and brand please
-3 way valves @ equip area-brand and how many?
-220v timeclock w/gfci for 500 watt pool light and 100 watt spa light-more details as this MIGHT be their idea of automation

Diving depth info I found:
"Department of Health Requirements: Prohibits head first diving in water depths less than 8 feet."

Me? I would do the 4' to 8' going as long as you can to even out the slope some. Here is a cut away look at a fiberglass pool that is 3'10" to 8'. It gives you a good idea of the slope size and such: http://calmwaterpools.com/inground-swimming-pool-designs-ideas/freeform-swimming-pools/venice-fiberglass-pool/viking-venice-pool-shell-depth-dimensions/

Here is another one about different kinds of pools: Building a Pool for Diving - Dive Pool Options

Poor thing! Here are you are saying how busy you are with the 3 kids and such and I am giving you more to do :hug: I hope it is easy to do your "homework" with the PB's people. I will be on the look out for you reply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

"Pushing bling aside"- pffffft! ;)

Thanks for the great info, Kim! I will find out more about the equipment list from the PB. He's super approachable and open to ideas/questions. When I find out, I'll post the info.
I had a chance to chat with him about depth this morning when he was here getting the dig started. He agreed that 4' would be better than 3' for the low end for us, but that going to 8' may be an issue for us and we'll have to discuss with the soil engineer. Also, we really don't have much spare space to make the pool an extra 5-10 feet longer and keep a useful size backyard space that isn't pool.
It sure is fun watching the little Bobcat doing it's thing back there today! :)

The major manufacturers are all acceptable. I have Pentair. They are good. What volume is the pool?

Well if you cannot go 8' without major extra cost or a unusable sloop then lets go 4' to 7' with a no head first diving rule that even Dad and Mom have to obey LOL

The major manufacturers are all acceptable. I have Pentair. They are good. What volume is the pool?

It's going to be a 15' x 31" pool from 4'-7' deep.
If my math is correct, it should be roughly 20,000 gallons.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if you cannot go 8' without major extra cost or a unusable sloop then lets go 4' to 7' with a no head first diving rule that even Dad and Mom have to obey LOL

i agree, but I do worry about kids jumping in from off the spa (which is raised 18"). I'm going to figure out what the issue is when the SE comes back.

Most likely with those dimensions you will be stuck at 7' max similar to mine before it get too steep and deep area will be too small if you go around 8 feet or so.

I would add automation look at the pentair stuff easy touch 8 etc have it control with your phone or you can also add a wifi remote. I have the following:
Pentair:
IntelliFlo VS Pump
420 Clean & Clear Filter
400K BTU MasterTemp
IntelliChlor IC40
EasyTouch8
ScreenLogic2 (contractor ordered a wireless remote by mistake so I get a freebie)
and need to order the pentair acid drip system I think intellichem.

If you think you will ever add solar heating panels, you can also pay the contractor a few dollars to have it plumbed to the side of the wall. My contractor wanted $250 to pre plumb it.

I went with the pentair globrites, my pool is 34x17, I used 3 evenlly spaced on the side, 1 with bubbler on the baja shelf and 1 in the spa.

see video here:

Well................we both know they WILL try to jump when you are there and you will say "No jumping"..........then as soon as your back is turned they will do it anyway :roll: I have complete faith in that fact as a Kindergarten teacher of 34 yrs. Saying no=them doing.

Agree that 8' is not reasonable for a 31' length pool. Even starting at 4' the slope will be STEEP.

Where are they at now with the dig? Is it finished? Pics?

Yessss!!!!!

45557017241_8434c6286e_b.jpg

Most likely with those dimensions you will be stuck at 7' max similar to mine before it get too steep and deep area will be too small if you go around 8 feet or so.

I would add automation look at the pentair stuff easy touch 8 etc have it control with your phone or you can also add a wifi remote. I have the following:
Pentair:
IntelliFlo VS Pump
420 Clean & Clear Filter
400K BTU MasterTemp
IntelliChlor IC40
EasyTouch8
ScreenLogic2 (contractor ordered a wireless remote by mistake so I get a freebie)
and need to order the pentair acid drip system I think intellichem.

If you think you will ever add solar heating panels, you can also pay the contractor a few dollars to have it plumbed to the side of the wall. My contractor wanted $250 to pre plumb it.

I went with the pentair globrites, my pool is 34x17, I used 3 evenlly spaced on the side, 1 with bubbler on the baja shelf and 1 in the spa.

SUPER helpful, Martin! Thank you!
Those lights!! :rockon: That was the lineup of Pentair stuff I was going to mention to my PB since he had already had some Pentair in mind. I definitely need to upgrade equipment and lighting here. Our house is fully solar right now. I don't think we have room for or would want that on the roof with everything else up there. Plus we have a clay tile roof...
Do you think I'd need two globrites on the side and one in the spa?

We are thinking of doing away with the small sun shelf near the stairs since it isn't large enough for a real lounge chair and neither of us are really into sitting in the pool in a chair anyway- and space is limited. Would you recommend wrapping the stairs around that corner like a zigzag where the shelf would have been? It would still take up real estate, but maybe a decent amount less?

Well................we both know they WILL try to jump when you are there and you will say "No jumping"..........then as soon as your back is turned they will do it anyway :roll: I have complete faith in that fact as a Kindergarten teacher of 34 yrs. Saying no=them doing.

I couldn't agree more. Stinkers! maybe a negative-edge with the top surface of the spa angle in to the spa would deter that a bit?

Shelf needs to go bye-bye. I would run the steps to the end of the cut away and call it good. I would not put anything in the end of the shallow end. That allows more play room with out worry of bumping or tripping on it.

Hum the nedgative-edge is a good idea! It would be more of a challenge so might deter them some! Good idea!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.