Random pressure drop in Hayward DE Filter!!!

gurjotsingh04

May 4, 2020
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So not to long ago, I thoroughly backwashed my Hayward Pro Grid DE filter 48 square feet. Also before that I clean out each individual grid, there were no rips or tears however I did find some broken plastic inside a few of them, but not incredibly broken. After putting everything together and adding the correct amount of DE, the filter psi was at around 14-15, which looked normal to me. NOTE our pool is fairly cloudy after an algae battle, so I knew that I was going to need alot of backwashing. But I did shut the pump off for a little while, and I turned it back on and OUT OF NO WHERE the psi in the filter dropped to like 4. It was almost like the fresh DE in the filter just magically disappeared with the pump off for a short time. We have no air bubbles in the pump basket, everything good but I do hear crackling in the multi port valve. The skimmers are working good, but I just cant find out why the pressure just dropped in the filter.

And Im also noticing that I have to backwash every few hours, I know that out pool is cloudy, but Is it normal for that much backwashing. Here’s a photo of our pool after being a swamp.

Attachments

• 94DDBCF6-6083-4F99-8C7E-D7E77905D669.png
    94DDBCF6-6083-4F99-8C7E-D7E77905D669.png
    383.7 KB · Views: 12
The pressure went back up after running for a while, but when turned off it just stops at around 5 psi. I didnt really see any dirt in the whole either. The pressure gauges is fairly old the around 10 years or older.
If the gauge moves but doesn't go back to zero with no pressure, it's gone bad. They're not nuch harder than a light bulb to replace.

And yes, a DE filter can load up within hours if the water is cloudy. That is the big downside to them.

If the gauge moves but doesn't go back to zero with no pressure, it's gone bad. They're not nuch harder than a light bulb to replace.

And yes, a DE filter can load up within hours if the water is cloudy. That is the big downside to them.
Thank you so much, I just installed a new pressure gauge and everything was back to normal, one more question. Does a low ph affect the cloudiness in the water, I have a good alkalinity, chlorine, and stabilizer, but my ph is a little low.

Thank you so much, I just installed a new pressure gauge and everything was back to normal, one more question. Does a low ph affect the cloudiness in the water, I have a good alkalinity, chlorine, and stabilizer, but my ph is a little low.
That has not been my experience. I notice my water looking dull when pH gets too high. Lowering it with acid brings back the sparkle.

I suspect you may have won one battle with algae but the war is not over. It's regrouping. I suggest you either begin a SLAM Process or at bare minimum run Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to ensure you don't need a SLAM.

That has not been my experience. I notice my water looking dull when pH gets too high. Lowering it with acid brings back the sparkle.

I suspect you may have won one battle with algae but the war is not over. It's regrouping. I suggest you either begin a SLAM Process or at bare minimum run Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to ensure you don't need a SLAM.
I dont think we have algae regrouping, when the pool was green I triple shocked the pool which made it a little white, and then about 2 days after that I shocked it again just to get any algae gone. The pool is now blue, and the cloudiness did improve, but the thing is I don’t run my filter at night because im worried that the pressure will rise alot during the middle of the night. I just run it during the day.

I dont think we have algae regrouping, when the pool was green we triple shocked the pool, and 2 days after than we shocked it again. The pool turned blue and cloudy. The cloudiness improved alot but i also turn off my pump at night because I dont want the pressure to raise in the middle of the night.

I think we need to take a step back here.

You're dealing with an ongoing algae problem. That's incredibly clear based on the picture you have posted. So we need to start there. First thing's first: how are you testing your water and what are your current test results? FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think we need to take a step back here.

You're dealing with an ongoing algae problem. That's incredibly clear based on the picture you have posted. So we need to start there. First thing's first: how are you testing your water and what are your current test results? FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA
Im just using an aqua check 4 way test strip.
Ph 7.1
Fc 1 or 2
TA 80
CYA 45
I do know that my calcium hardness is in proper range from a pool store test. I am also using 3 inch chlorine tablets in a chlorinator.

Im just using an aqua check 4 way test strip.
Ph 7.1
Fc 1 or 2
TA 80
CYA 45
I do know that my calcium hardness is in proper range from a pool store test. I am also using 3 inch chlorine tablets in a chlorinator.
Here is also a updated photo from the one previously i took. The pool is still cloudy it didn't catch it on camera I could probably see about 2 feet down.7DBDE900-4EF4-4C86-82BF-73CE55220184.jpeg

I agree with Donldson...

If your filter fills up within a few hours, then you have an algae bloom. You may or may not see it in the water, but it is still there. That is what is clogging your filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I wanted to share one of many links with you: Pretty black pool

Is this thread you can see where they started at and when they go to where are now.........cloudy blue...........notice they had to keep the SLAM going to get to the clear part.

You had algae=green
you killed most of the algae=cloudy blue
still clearing the mostly dead algae=not as cloudy blue but still not done

You are at the hardest part..............clearing up the dead algae. This is where your filter earns it's keep.........it IS going to clog up fast as it is doing most of the heavy lifting.

BUT do not stop the chlorine or you will lose the progress you have made.

You will have better results and use less chlorine and time if you had a proper test kit. Here is a link to the ones we like: Test Kits Compared NOTE: we do not sell test kits!! We do suggest good test kits as that is what works the best!

Reactions: Neotericisis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.