Pump Basket not filling

hezzer78

Nov 14, 2020
SE Texas
Hey friends. I'm having an issue with my pump basket not filling all the way when priming/running.
We called a pool service company out to look at it and they replaced some O-rings on the set up and proclaimed it was fixed, but the next day the pump basket was again super low. We've had this pool for 3 years and never had a problem with the water in the pump basket being so low - it's usually right up to the top or nearly so.
Other than replacing the O-rings, we've cleaned the filter and skimmer, checked other connections for air leaks, and cleaned out the impeller.
Is there anything else we can do for this? I've heard that having low water in the pump basket is bad and could damage your pool, but the repair guy told me "it's just how your pool runs", shrugged his shoulders and didn't do anything else to help me.
Is this true? If not, how do I go about fixing this? I attached a picture but not sure if you can see the water level, so I drew a yellow line where the water is sitting in the basket. If I need another service guy to come out, can i get recommendations for someone in South Houston, TX?

TIA.

InkedIMG_1872.jpg

Check your skimmer to make sure it’s around halfway full looking at the opening, and be sure the weir is able to open freely.

What does your pressure gauge say

VSPs don't act like old single-speed pumps. For some reason Hayward EcoStar/TriStar pumps all act that way and almost never have a full pot on lower speeds.

Do you get air bubbles out of your returns?

Does your filter get air in it that needs to be bled?

Check your skimmer to make sure it’s around halfway full looking at the opening, and be sure the weir is able to open freely.

What does your pressure gauge say
Well, I switched to a quick clean cycle and it fills up more, but still not all the way. The skimmer is more than half full and open.
The pressure says about 26 (while on the quick clean cycle).

VSPs don't act like old single-speed pumps. For some reason Hayward EcoStar/TriStar pumps all act that way and almost never have a full pot on lower speeds.

Do you get air bubbles out of your returns?

Does your filter get air in it that needs to be bled?
I do get air bubbles out of the returns (my center one feels like it's much less than in the past, but the other two still work fine).
I think the filter gets air in it - how do I determine that? Just open the valve and see if air or water comes out?

You have a SWCG so you will get hydrogen bubbles out of the returns when it is generating. Be sure the bubbles you see are not tied to that.

Try to bleed the cartridge filter with the pump on. If water instantly comes out, you are not building any air in the filter housing.

You have a SWCG so you will get hydrogen bubbles out of the returns when it is generating. Be sure the bubbles you see are not tied to that.

Try to bleed the cartridge filter with the pump on. If water instantly comes out, you are not building any air in the filter housing.
Ok - we just opened the filter valve with the pump on and water came out instantly. Is that good or bad? :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can we see a few pictures of the equipment pad and a picture of a working skimmer with the deck cover off so a top view picture while the filter is running.
Here’s a few pics. Also included a photo of the 90 elbow. Let me know if I need more pics….

Attachments

• B8CF8FEF-7270-4737-9BF6-8B072AD7051C.jpeg
    B8CF8FEF-7270-4737-9BF6-8B072AD7051C.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 1F566F49-DDDE-4047-BBC3-D2A9BD071C5D.jpeg
    1F566F49-DDDE-4047-BBC3-D2A9BD071C5D.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 477A195C-D836-4377-900A-2C6FDBD296D6.jpeg
    477A195C-D836-4377-900A-2C6FDBD296D6.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 26
  • E15C7388-38E4-4DF6-A70D-786E0F8716CD.jpeg
    E15C7388-38E4-4DF6-A70D-786E0F8716CD.jpeg
    913.4 KB · Views: 25
Wrap the suspect joints with plastic wrap. See if that reduces the air from the suction side.

Ok - we just opened the filter valve with the pump on and water came out instantly. Is that good or bad? :)
Yes, that's a good thing. Even if a bit of air came out first, that is normal. Hayward Eco/Tri Star pumps just do what you are seeing, mine has for 14 years. Even the single speed ones seem to not always want to fill the pot completely. Doesn't hurt anything. Pump lid in the pictures is on backwards. Just my OCD about that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.