Pool Renovation in Henderson NV

That looks great! Neat change you are making.

How deep will your pool end up being when they are done?

What do you two do that you both work at night?? OUCH!

Kim:kim:

Haven't decided on the final depth yet, it's been draining since yesterday, I'm going to stand in it and take some measurements later.

Vegas is a 24hr town, ya know! I dispatch for a county agency, heard the slogan "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"? Company I work for is responsible for that, they market Las Vegas, but most of it is actually conventions. My other half works as a mechanic for a city agency. I work graves, he works a late swing shift.

Foxy your pool is going to look fantastic. It's amazing what the can do with construction so I'm sure all will be well.

Thanks Cliff! It will never be our dream pool, but we will make do with what we have and what is in the budget! Would love to make other changes, but since we are renovating a lot of the inside of the house, that's​ just not feasible at the moment. We plan on living here for a long time, so maybe when it needs plaster again in the future, we'll add a spa and a water feature wall!

How did you go with for he travertine? And I'm so glad it worked out for you

Same guy is doing everything for us. He isn't on any of the referral lists going around locally, so we'll have to add him if his work is good and I sure hope it is ?. We saw some of his work, it looks very good and the NPT staff spoke highly of him. All the people we contacted from the list going around were too busy or just didn't want the job...ya know, more money to be made in a built than a renovation and it is the busy season.
His travertine paver install is $7.50 sq ft for materials and installation.

They will all love their shelf! So sweet!

So you are the one that makes sure all of the details are covered before everyone shows up. BIG job and very important! A mechanic could work 24/7 and never catch all to way up there I bet!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a couple more pics of the original disaster, I mean deck...

Here's our minimalist equipment lol...

He wanted some therapy before the demo crew arrived. Pulled out the paper that was stuffed in there, it was the concrete bags from the original construction.

LOL well at least they did not have to look far to find the "filler" :roll:

Yeah that deck does need so love. Any idea what caused that? How long have you been in the house?

It's not actually damaged, it was poured and finished that way when the pool was built...a DIY project gone wrong! Some of the bad finish quality was hidden under really thick spray deck material, it seemed like they mudded the deck similar to how you would mud and smooth drywall repairs. The pool is an owner builder pool that was put in by the previous owner in 1999, we have owned the house for 4 years. The house was built in 1990, it's all original, so it's been our ongoing fixer upper project for these 4 years and when done with the pool we are starting back inside and completely redoing the kitchens and bathrooms and flooring throughout the house. We plan on being in the house long term.

I don't think this little baby dumpster is going to hold all the concrete from the deck....which demo starts on today!!

This happened yesterday :party:

2 of the kids wondering what the heck all the noise is about! The raised shelf is for them :cool:.

That is right! Y'all were grinding the stuff off in the beginning! Bet YOU won't forget that LOL Got to love a fixer upper=labor of love! It will be great when you get done.

What kind of flooring will you be doing inside?

Yeah that dumpster will be replaced a couple of times for sure!

That is right! Y'all were grinding the stuff off in the beginning! Bet YOU won't forget that LOL Got to love a fixer upper=labor of love! It will be great when you get done.

What kind of flooring will you be doing inside?

Yeah that dumpster will be replaced a couple of times for sure!

Nope, won't forget hours of grinding! I have a forever reminder on my knuckle from dropping an angle grinder on it before I found leather gloves to fit my child sized hands!
You know what is funny, inside we have a large porcelain tiles that look like travertine (notice in the pic with the 2 doggies), when we brought home a sample piece of the travertine deck, we put it on the tile inside and it's almost the same color....so we know we'll like it outside! The only thing that was changed in the house in the past 27 years was the flooring, to that tile, but much like the pool it was a bad DIY project, it wasn't laid properly and the most annoying thing is the grout lines are huge and deep making it rough on the feet. When the pool deck is complete, it's going to be nicer than the floors inside the house LOL... Eventually the tile will be replaced with some kind of wood flooring with tile in the bathrooms and carpet in the bedrooms and living room. I'm not looking forward to removing 1500+sqft of tile!! We have a long list of projects and it's going to take us a couple years to finish it all, since it's weekend work and we are doing as much DIY as we can. My other half is handy, before he was a mechanic, he was in construction, and luckily we have friends in some of the specialty trades when needed. I'm great at demo, painting and helping with whatever he teaches me to do!

Y'all sound like us! We can do just about anything on our own and have the tools to prove it :roll:

When removing the tile tape plastic up on every door way leading out of that room while you are working on it. It won't stop all of the dust but most of it. We got a air chisel to help remove the old tile in our kitchen. LOVED it! Got it from Harbor Freight (my fav store!).

Those grout lines are big but I did not notice them until I went back to look. All I saw were the cute doggies! LOL

At least they use jandy never lube on the pipes lol, you are ready to rock and roll. Also that setup is easy enough for me to use :)
And please tell me that's a fake snake by the door..... it's pretty creepy and scary looking

Well about all the equipment....When we bought the house, there were solar panels on the ground, they were all damaged, so we removed those, sadly. The pump that was there was horrendously loud and we didn't know how old it was, so we bought a new pump right away. The valves were also leaking, so we replaced those. Recently the filter housing started leaking and the parts are discontinued, so we bought a used filter housing and it's bigger, so we had to change the plumbing. There was a puck feeder installed, but it was half buried in the ground, so it couldn't be adjusted, we removed that since we don't use pucks anyway. The equipment pad was plastic, so while we were replacing the filter housing and changing the piping, we poured a concrete pad, colored the concrete and stamped the top just to see how it would come out. We are going to build a shed over the equipment that will also hold all the pool gear. Every time I look at the builds with all the fancy equipment and so many pipes, I think about mine and laugh, so I wanted to share what the basic setup looks like! We removed the water feature for now, but leaving the plumbing in place, so hopefully in the future we can add a feature wall to the back side of the pool and add a water feature then.

Will, yes the snake is fake LOL...he gets moved around the backyard to keep some of the birds and critters out of the yard, it helps a little ;).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.