Pool Renovation in Henderson NV

Y'all sound like us! We can do just about anything on our own and have the tools to prove it :roll:

When removing the tile tape plastic up on every door way leading out of that room while you are working on it. It won't stop all of the dust but most of it. We got a air chisel to help remove the old tile in our kitchen. LOVED it! Got it from Harbor Freight (my fav store!).

Those grout lines are big but I did not notice them until I went back to look. All I saw were the cute doggies! LOL

Kim:kim:

Yup, the plan is an air chisel for the tile. Thanks for the plastic tip, will definitely have to do that. Ever scraped popcorn texture off ceilings, then mud, sand and re-textured with knock down texture? We did a lot of that before we moved in and it was a huge mess, lots of tape and plastic then.

The hubby now wants to build a decorative wall to separate the pool area from the yard area, instead of a wrought iron fence or a pool fence...I didn't want to be out there in July laying block, but that's probably what is going to happen...we'd face it with a slit faced ledger stone to match the travertine and that would also go on our future feature wall along the back of the pool, so in the end it would all tie in together, just in phases...long phases lol... We'll see... It's nice to be able to DIY, but at the same time it seems like the projects never stop and also tend to grow more than planned LOL.

They removed all of the concrete coping and deck yesterday, they also cleaned up all the chipped out plaster.

This is what some of the busted up deck looked like.

All the concrete is gone!

All the chipped out plaster is gone!

Wednesday or Thursday is water line tile, not sure yet. I still need to check on the grout color, forgot that...but I did remember to ask about the glass marker tiles! Going with white mortar and using plaster for the grout. Those aren't going in just yet though. After they do the water line tile, they are going to raise our 2nd step to create a sun deck. That's the plan for the next few days!

Kristen, I am inspired by your project! The wife and I are planning on a face lift for our pool and surrounding areas and landscape this fall or winter. The decking around our pool is not in terrible shape, but nor perfect and there are issues with poor drainage caused by deck sloping that is not quite right. When it all turns out well, I may ask for the names of the contractors you used. We are also in Henderson, and it not always easy to find quality people to do work. Best wishes on your renovation!

Kristen, I am inspired by your project! The wife and I are planning on a face lift for our pool and surrounding areas and landscape this fall or winter. The decking around our pool is not in terrible shape, but nor perfect and there are issues with poor drainage caused by deck sloping that is not quite right. When it all turns out well, I may ask for the names of the contractors you used. We are also in Henderson, and it not always easy to find quality people to do work. Best wishes on your renovation!

I commented on your post about your equipment pad, lots of helpful locals on here! I'd be happy to pass along my contractors info. We'll be done in a couple of weeks and I'll continue to update along the way.

WOW! I would never thought it would all fit :shock:

Why do you want to separate the yard and pool area?

Many people might think this is crazy, but we want to keep the dogs out of the pool side. We have had a makeshift fence up for the past 4 years and always planned on installing a permanent fence, that's just changed from a fence to a decorative wall if hubby gets his way. He figures since there is always going to be a barrier that it may as well be something more aesthetically pleasing. The dogs wear pool alarms on their collars which are great if we are home and one falls in, but obviously not if nobody is home and unfortunately they have access to a dog door all the times, because we have a special needs dog that needs to be able to go out often. We use to foster Boston Terriers and French Bulldogs, our special needs Frenchie was a foster for a full year before we adopted him, he's dog aggressive and his care is a bit more than a normal dog, so we no longer foster, but when our current dogs are no longer with us, we'll foster again and these are breeds that are not usually good swimmers. All of our renovations are for us as we plan to stay in this house for a long time, but the wall he's planning could be easily removed and the travertine pavers replaced, so for resale it could be changed to appeal to the majority.

I SO understand! We also have a "pool yard" to keep the dog out. I thought that would be why but wanted to make sure.

I am with hubby. Might as well make it pretty BUT I think the black iron fences ARE pretty so.....YOU get the points!

Foxy I would love some info on how to adopt a French bulldog . I know it's way off pool topic lol but I have always wanted one. Could you email me or pm me some info?
Email sent, happy to help!

I SO understand! We also have a "pool yard" to keep the dog out. I thought that would be why but wanted to make sure.

I am with hubby. Might as well make it pretty BUT I think the black iron fences ARE pretty so.....YOU get the points!

I'm starting to see his vision after doing some searching for pics to try and visualize it in my head...but I'd be perfectly happy with a basic black iron fence too, so either way is fine with me in the end... I'm just not thrilled about the idea of helping build a wall in Vegas in June while it's 115 degrees outside! Would definitely need the pool ready to jump into lol.

Didn't make a lot of progress last week...record breaking heat, 117 degrees, didn't help!
I made a mistake, forgot that our water line tile was a special order, so we didn't think to place the order ahead of time...oops lol. It should arrive sometime this week, I was told Monday, but it wasn't in yet, so I don't know when it's due now.

They worked on removing the old skimmer, looks like that was harder than they expected. They haven't been able to install the new one yet, but I'm told it's going in today, we'll see!

Put a hole in a pipe, so they have to fix that. I don't know why it was all run so close to the skimmer, there's room for it to be farther away, but remember this was a bad O/B job, so...

They placed the steel for the new sun shelf and said concrete is going in today.

Distracted pups checking out the depth of their new sun shelf, it's going to be chest deep on them. The green thing on her collar is a Safety Turtle pool alarm.

Our boy misses his pool, he's the swimmer, so he wanted to go see what happened to his pool.

Travertine coping and pavers arrived today! Along with the marker tiles.

Color is Walnut.

I'm hoping ( and think) they will get the skimmer, the step, and tile completed this week. Then it would be coping, then pavers, then plaster, he already said coping and pavers are going to take a few days, because we have lots of cuts. We go out of town for 6 days at the end of the week and we want to be there for the pavers, because we need to finalize the shape in person, but it looks like the delays may have put us on schedule to be back for the deck, otherwise they get a break! It's working out well so far, originally we thought we'd have water by July 8th, but it will be more like the 15th (fingers crossed).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great progress! I'm sure to you it seems slow, but to me it seems like you've moved forward fairly quickly. I look forward to seeing the completion. Looks like you've selected really good finishes too. [emoji4]

You are trucking right along! I bet there were some adult words said during that skimmer work! :shock: they earned their beer that day!

Love the safety turtle things. I have not see them before. So it is not until they get in the water? How does it KNOW they are IN the water instead of just beside it?

Oh I love that color of stone! I would be breaking open those crates and digging through to find the really pretty ones to place in high visibility areas!

Great progress! I'm sure to you it seems slow, but to me it seems like you've moved forward fairly quickly. I look forward to seeing the completion. Looks like you've selected really good finishes too. [emoji4]

It is slower than their original timeline, but it isn't a big deal to us. We told them we weren't in a hurry from the beginning, we want it done right and not rushed. Just a tad annoying when they say they are going to show up and then don't and don't provide updates, unless you ask...but that seems to be normal from what I read on many builds ;).
Thanks, it's going to be such a difference when it's done! I'll be antsy wanted to get the landscaping completed, but we'd like to wait till fall for that...it's too hot!!

You are trucking right along! I bet there were some adult words said during that skimmer work! :shock: they earned their beer that day!

Love the safety turtle things. I have not see them before. So it is not until they get in the water? How does it KNOW they are IN the water instead of just beside it?

Oh I love that color of stone! I would be breaking open those crates and digging through to find the really pretty ones to place in high visibility areas!

Safety Turtle 2.0 Pool Alarm Child Kit - Products
Safety Turtles were made to be worn on kids wrists and then they were adapted to include pets, there is a sensor with exposed edges encased in the plastic shell, if the edges get wet, it activates an audible alarm. They are pretty cool, the alarm is a second safety measure with the fence, because we are paranoid about them falling in! We tried one of those pool alarms that mounts to the coping and hangs into the water, but it went off constantly due to the wind moving the water.

Some tools were broken when he was working on the skimmer, so I'm sure some words were also said! I just happened to be taking out the dogs as he was coming back from a run to Home Depot and asked how it was going lol.

Photobucket :grrrr:

Lots of work got done over the past week, water line tile, coping, half the deck, marker tiles, skimmer installed!! Deck should be finished today and they should be finishing up the last few things with the water line tile and marker tiles, so that plaster can go in on Friday.

Had them do a couple changes to the new swim deck, the bottom step was shorter than the middle step which caused a trip hazard, so we brought in the middle step a little and extended the bottom step a little. Marker tile was added and it was wavy instead of a smooth curve, so they are fixing that area. Markers are going on the steps today.

Coping and waterline tile is in, they just have to replace a couple tiles and do some finishing touches.

They finally got the new skimmer installed, that was harder than they expected and they had to switch from a Pentair to a Hayward due to existing plumbing position.

Deck is almost done, finishing up today. BTW we will be prettying up that wall in the future!!

Tank approves of the new deck, but he can't wait till his pool has water!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.