Pool Renovation in Henderson NV

Foxy

Aug 1, 2013
Henderson, NV
** If you want pics of Quartzscapes Barbados Blue, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you some.** Sorry my pics are gone :(.

I figured I should start my thread, so I don't get called out by the locals doing builds, since I've been asking them for information! :cool: Mine isn't nearly as nice as any of the others in the Vegas area though, so it's a bit of an embarrassment... I joined TFP in 2013 when I bought a house with a pool and had no idea what to do with it, I've been maintaining my water by TFP standards for the past few years and the only pretty thing about my pool all these years has been the water! We wanted to do a major renovation to the pool 2 years ago, but life happened and it got put on hold.
A couple months ago, we decided that it was time to do just a basic facelift on the pool, make it less of an embarrassment lol, so we started a DIY renovation. We are planning to start a major renovation inside the house this year, gutting the kitchen and 2 bathrooms, etc., so we just wanted to make the backyard "presentable" for a couple years then do a pool renovation when we finished inside. Our pool is an O/B pool that was done in 1999-2000 and some was not done well, luckily the plaster lasted 17 years. The biggest problem is the concrete coping and deck. Our original DIY plan was to remove the spray deck material, resurface some of the bad areas on the concrete, and re-spray the cool deck texture, sounds easy enough, right? We spent days grinding off spray deck material, rented a machine for the large areas, did all the coping by hand with grinders, I can't even explain how messy that was!! We discovered the concrete that was hidden under 1/2" of spray deck was in worse shape than we thought, we also removed landscaping edging blocks and river rock from along the coping edge and discovered a very poor quality job was done on the coping, some areas the concrete was only about 1" thick! While the pool was empty for us to grind off the deck material, the plaster started failing, thought it would just be a few small areas, but it quickly spread throughout the pool and continues to get worse. That's when we decided to give up on that plan...so, we are now going to remove all of the concrete deck, re-plaster, new water line tile, remove the water feature, put in a real fence and finally landscape.
I'll say it now, I hate everything about this pool LOL, but it is what it is and unfortunately we can't afford to change everything we don't like about it!

Here's what we started with...

Don't worry, the make shift fence is for dogs, not kids!

This water feature doesn't look too bad, other than being skimpy, but wait till I post the backside of it later!

The yard use to stop here, but we took down that wall and moved it to the property line adding about 40ft to the backyard...which now needs to be landscaped! The other unfortunate thing is that a few feet from the pool edge in the grass is a septic tank and the leech field goes out to the dirt area, limits some landscaping/hardscaping options.
The 2 a/c units are gone, we had 2 new ones installed and placed on the side of the house out of view.

Satellite overview of the lot. The fortunate thing is that we are not on a "typical Vegas" lot, we are in a rural preservation area and we also don't have an HOA to deal with ;).
We also moved a wall on the side of the house, so the shed will be removed and a real one built out of view on the side of the house.

Foxy you know us all so well (the Vegas bad boys/girls) lol we were sure about to call you out and then BOOM you would have had a magic thread started by a special fairy
I LOVE your lot size and I'm so jealous. I can understand where you come from on the water feature but the good news is that since it already has plumbing you could always build it up in the future and at a reasonable cost. I personally don't think the pool are looks that bad and when you landscape it will look amazing. I'm always surprised by how the right plants and decor and really change an area.
I'm in on your build and you already know you can reach out to any of us and we will be more than happy to help. It's going to turn out great :)

I cannot wait to see this, while it doesn't look bad in the pictures i am sure it's time. Foxy make sure to ask any of us if you need help as you already know we are quite the helpful bunch.

With the amount of Vegas knowledge flowing on this board we could open our own pool building business, sort of like BYOP.com but it would have to be BYOTFP.com :D

Hi Foxy,

First of all, I have two Bostons too. Awesome dogs! My build is just starting, and my BTs have been running around the pool hole. Prior to rebar, one of them was curious enough to jump into the pool, so I am curious as to how they will be with the pool once it's filled with water. Do yours like the water? I am including a doggy-sized Baja shelf for mine, so mine better. :).

Your pool doesn't look bad in the pictures, so it seems to be a good starting point. I think the changes you have planned are great. What are your plans for coping? Will it be poured in place like your decking? Have you given any thought to what you want for your waterline tile? If you remove the water feature, do you plan on getting rid of it altogether or replacing it with something else?

Well another problem we ran into is all the locals doing OB pools right now have all the good subs tied up for awhile :lol:... We aren't in a hurry, but they still don't seem to have any time or some of them may not be interested in a cheapo remodel when they could be doing a fabulous new build instead! That's okay though, we found someone who built a gorgeous pool in our neighborhood and is doing some work for some friends right now, we met up and his prices are good, so he's going to handle our pool. Meeting up again this weekend to work out some details and a start date.
All you locals with the beautiful travertine decks have already spent some of our money, we are taking out the concrete deck and coping and replacing with travertine. We have 2 built in covered patios that we are going to leave concrete and just paint those to blend in and hide the patch work.
You all may end up spending more of our money and completely changing our renovation, because I spend way too much time lurking and drooling over your gorgeous pools LOL... I'd love to raise the entire back wall with water features since the plumbing is there and put split faced stone on the front for a focal point. Our depth is something like 3'6" to 5' to 4'6" and we don't care for the deep center area, so we have considered raising the center depth. The other thing we don't like is the steps, the 2nd step is a shelf, but we don't like the depth, we'd both love a beach entry pool!! So all that said, when we meet up with our contractor this weekend, we may ask for prices for those 3 things. We already picked plaster and travertine, standard water line tile in beige, and I'd like to do glass tile for step markers just for something pretty, so we'll look at those....so you all can't spend our money there! You can however spend our money on landscaping suggestions lol. Thanks for all the support and the answers to my PMs and emails, great bunch of people on here!

Hi Foxy,

First of all, I have two Bostons too. Awesome dogs! My build is just starting, and my BTs have been running around the pool hole. Prior to rebar, one of them was curious enough to jump into the pool, so I am curious as to how they will be with the pool once it's filled with water. Do yours like the water? I am including a doggy-sized Baja shelf for mine, so mine better. :).

Your pool doesn't look bad in the pictures, so it seems to be a good starting point. I think the changes you have planned are great. What are your plans for coping? Will it be poured in place like your decking? Have you given any thought to what you want for your waterline tile? If you remove the water feature, do you plan on getting rid of it altogether or replacing it with something else?
I checked out your build, cute pups!! My Georgie is a princess and doesn't like grass on her feet either, I call her Princess Feet lol. One of the things we don't like about our pool is the shelf is too deep for the dogs LOL...we also have a handicapped Frenchie, Phoenix, that loves the water, but he can only stand on our tiny 1st step, we'd love for him to have a spot to hang out. Our dogs are our kids and people design their pools with their kids in mind, right? Tank, our male Boston, loves the pool and he's a great swimmer! He jumps in from the top of the water feature and dives for toys, so that's pretty cool and a lot of fun. Georgie, our female Boston, doesn't swim well and panics when we put her in the pool, she does love water though and will play in chest deep water, so we wish we had a shallow shelf for her and Phoenix to hang out on...that's the only way these smooshed face dogs can enjoy the summers in Vegas!

Our original plan was to have 18" of concrete poured for a new coping and spray deck applied, we were going to remove the concrete deck and replace with concrete pavers, doing the deck portion ourselves. Now we are removing all the concrete and putting in all travertine. We got prices for concrete coping with spray deck and travertine coping, the price difference was small enough that travertine is worth it. We haven't priced out the deck area yet, but if we need to save some money, we have the ability to demo the concrete and lay a travertine deck ourselves.
Our current plan is to completely remove the water feature. I'd like to raise up the entire back side of the pool and put in slit faced stone and new shear descents, but don't know if I can convince myself and the hubby that it's worth it. We can ask for an estimate this weekend from our contractor and go from there. Going to inquire about changing the steps and shelf to make them dog friendly.
We haven't picked water line tile yet, but we have looked at the catalog online and we both agree to go with a basic beige tile that will blend in with the travertine. We aren't fancy lol, I may want to do glass tiles for the step markers though. We are going with Barbados Blue Quartzscapes for plaster.

Okay...so here's the good stuff...

Close up of how most of the deck around the 12" coping area looked.

Overall of the back side of the pool coping, what you don't see here yet is what we discovered when we removed those blocks and the rocks!

The edge of the coping along the tile had spray deck drips hanging off, it was rough and uneven and ugly...doesn't seem like they used coping forms when they poured it.

Once we started grinding, we realized it was 1/2" thick of spray deck material!

Spray deck was rough and bumpy, looked worse in person of course.

The deck area doesn't have the proper expansion joints, so there are cracks all over it.

When we still had hope that it could be repaired LOL...

We should have removed the blocks and rocks first, we would have discovered the problem with the deck and saved ourselves lots of time and labor...

That was extremely messy!

More of the good stuff...

This is what we discovered when we removed the landscaping blocks and river rock, this is the 12" coping area around the back side of the pool....but that's not the worst of it, I don't have pics of the worst area though. I was grinding off the deck material on top and almost broke through the slab, there are areas of the concrete that are not even 1" thick :grrrr:.

Here's the "paper mache" water feature.

There are cracks all the way through the concrete on the top and sides, I didn't take pics of it.

There's wood tucked in there too.

I think removing the river rock and those river rock edging blocks and removing the deck material made a huge improvement LOL..So when people say landscaping can change the whole look, I get it!

We did some other useless work also LOL...
The deck drains were all clogged and weren't installed properly, so even if they weren't clogged they wouldn't drain properly, so we removed those and had new channel waiting to be installed. We are on a septic tank, the main drain runs under the pool deck, there is a vent pipe by the house, it stuck up out of the deck, we had to cut the deck to remove the old deck drain and we cut around the septic pipe to recess it into the deck. We then discovered that the coping wasn't the only area that wasn't poured to proper thickness, the entire deck has large voids along the edge and we pulled boulders out from around the septic pipe, so we figure the ground under the deck was not prepped properly. We have been told the deck slope and the elevation of the pool in reference to the house are wrong, the pool coping is higher than the threshold of the doors to the house...? So all the concrete is coming out.

Well hello there! There are some *surprises* to be found on your build for sure :roll: wow they just put whatever they had in their hands to fill up holes and areas :shock:

Your poor hands, shoulders, arms, etc with all of that work that ended up not really being what was needed in the end :hug: not fun but who would have guessed it was done so poorly the first time?

I love your pool and area! I hope you end up loving it when all of the work is done.

I would love to help pick out your shelf tiles! :slidehalo:

You can bring up the bottom of the deeper end if you want. You can also make your doggy shelf more suited for your dogs as well. That should be easy for them to do. I do like the idea of the beach entry!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well hello there! There are some *surprises* to be found on your build for sure :roll: wow they just put whatever they had in their hands to fill up holes and areas :shock:

Your poor hands, shoulders, arms, etc with all of that work that ended up not really being what was needed in the end :hug: not fun but who would have guessed it was done so poorly the first time?

I love your pool and area! I hope you end up loving it when all of the work is done.

I would love to help pick out your shelf tiles! :slidehalo:

You can bring up the bottom of the deeper end if you want. You can also make your doggy shelf more suited for your dogs as well. That should be easy for them to do. I do like the idea of the beach entry!

We are open to suggestions for marker tiles! I hadn't even considered them until a couple of days ago. We are going to the store in the morning to look at the options.
We are meeting with our contractor on Sunday to work out some details, going to ask about changing the depth of the shelf and the depth of the pool. My only concern is that he's not doing any gunite/shotcrete work on our pool, so it may be a hassle and cost more just because he'd have to bring in a small amount to change the depth and the shelf, but we shall see!! He's building a spa for a friend just a couple streets down, I'm going to see if it would work out for him to add our gunite/shotcrete work in on the day he does theirs, just not sure of their time line and ours, we are flexible, we already know we aren't swimming this summer lol...fingers crossed!

There are many ways to do the step markers. You can do:

- one line from end to end.

-two lines side by side from end to end. This works great with 1x2 tiles

-"diamonds"- using 4 1x1 tiles

If you have read any threads you will know I LOVE bling and will suggest you use glass tile to get that BLING.

One thing you will want to think about is the "grout" for this tile. We have found it looks better if the plaster is used instead of grout. Most of the time the grout stands out too much where the plaster blends in better.

Thanks Kim! I have read many threads, so I know you love bling and you have great suggestions! I was browsing around throughout the night and I'm liking the look of 2 solid rows all the way across the steps, it will be the only "bling" in the pool, so I think that would have the most impact. I am thinking to use glass tiles and I did take note of using plaster instead of grout, tons of great info around here! I was eyeballing the NPT catalog and I'm liking Jules in Bright Cobalt Blue Blend. You can see we currently just have a couple diamonds that match the water line tile, boring lol...

Kim, I only see that glass tile in 1x1, but that's fine cause it looks great on all the pics I've looked at. Someone mentioned curves with 1x2 not working out as well, we have 3 small "seats" around the pool that are curved, so I think 1x1 is probably best for us anyway. We looked at the tile yesterday and both love the Bright Blue Colbalt blend NPT tile, even prettier when we brought it home!

Will, you are right yet again! Totally worth the cost for bling on the steps and got travertine for less than we ever thought possible.

We also chose waterline tile! Simulated quartzite in Sand, it's an upgraded tile, but just $0.86 sq ft more ?. Contractor cautioned us, because it's a rough finish and he said more maintain to prevent scaling, but I'm fine with that.

Our travertine is going to be Walnut color, doing 5cm bullnosed coping, 3cm pavers in the same color for the deck.

Here's our materials in the store.

Tiles at home in the sun.

PRETTY! LOVE it!!

Now lets talk mortar and grout. With glass tile it is very important you pick the color of mortar you like the best. Put the tile on something white, off white, and light gray. See which one you like the best.

For the grout they should have grout sticks you can check out.

Poor think I bet you thought you were done with picking things out LOL. :hug:

Got a quote to change the depth of the shelf and bring up the deep part of the pool a little, not bad, so going to do that and change how our pool functions for us!
New steps and shelf will look like this, the painted area is going to be the new shelf, making it level with the top step, leaving out an area to have 2 steps up to the shelf from the pool.

Foxy your pool is going to look fantastic. It's amazing what the can do with construction so I'm sure all will be well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.