Pool Leak After Plaster New Build

There must be another main drain port for VGBA -- no way an inspector in California would have missed that.

As I have thought about this, all that can be said is you can do whatever you think is reasonable to attach a plug or valve but it's anyone's guess if it will work or not. Standard pool plumbing normally uses main drain sumps - larger plastic bodies with all the proper pipe fittings and flanges on them to ensure that the gunite makes a good watertight seal once the plaster is applied. What you have there are standard smooth walled PVC pipes without any flanges making intrusions through the gunite shell ... there's simply no way to know over the long haul if that configuration will remain leak-free. It's simply not how pool plumbing is done. So I guess the best that can be said is - give it a try and see if it works and, if the leak can't be resolved, then you might have to think about filling those pipes and that area with hydraulic cement and abandoning the main drains. The other option is to install proper main drain sumps but that will require cutting into the shell and redoing it in that area. Plenty of old non-VGBA pools have had extra main drains installed after the fact, but that costs a lot of money and many pool owners simply opt to abandon the main drain instead of wasting the money on a renovation.

Hope it works out for ya.

As I have thought about this, all that can be said is you can do whatever you think is reasonable to attach a plug or valve but it's anyone's guess if it will work or not. Standard pool plumbing normally uses main drain sumps - larger plastic bodies with all the proper pipe fittings and flanges on them to ensure that the gunite makes a good watertight seal once the plaster is applied. What you have there are standard smooth walled PVC pipes without any flanges making intrusions through the gunite shell ... there's simply no way to know over the long haul if that configuration will remain leak-free. It's simply not how pool plumbing is done. So I guess the best that can be said is - give it a try and see if it works and, if the leak can't be resolved, then you might have to think about filling those pipes and that area with hydraulic cement and abandoning the main drains. The other option is to install proper main drain sumps but that will require cutting into the shell and redoing it in that area. Plenty of old non-VGBA pools have had extra main drains installed after the fact, but that costs a lot of money and many pool owners simply opt to abandon the main drain instead of wasting the money on a renovation.

Hope it works out for ya.
Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.