Pool Leak After Plaster New Build

aaronc1976

Jun 10, 2021
Simi Valley/CA
So, my new build (owner/builder) was just plastered (Pebble Fina Bella Blue). I specifically asked the Plaster company if they take care of the drains as part of the plaster job and they advised yes. Well, plaster is complete and pool had a leak. Plaster company made me hire a leak detection company on my own dime and they found the leak at the hydrostatic pipe. The plaster company cut the pipe flush with the floor and never installed the hydrostatic relief valve. Company is waiting for report from leak detection company but am I correct in assuming they should have installed the valve? If they refuse to fix, how difficult of a job is it for DIY?

I've only ever heard of plaster companies installing the return eyeball fittings and drain covers after plaster is complete. The hydrostatic valve is the plumber's job. Depending on the diameter of the pipe in the main drain, it could be as simple as gluing on the valve ...

Question though - do you honestly need a hydrostat? Typically you only need those if ground water is close to the surface. My pool has no hydrostatic valve because the nearest source of ground water is a couple of hundred feet below the surface ...

A hydrostatic relief valve screws into a threaded pipe. Your plumber should have setup the appropriate pipe for it to be installed in.

Your main drain should have a side port for the suction and a threaded bottom hole for the valve or a plug.

The plasterer just installs the drain covers.

Plumber just stubbed up through the shotcrete and capped off pipe. Plaster company cut both pipes flush and stuck a drain cover on it. The pipe was a 1 1/2 PVC pipe with holes drilled into it that went a couple feet down into crushed rock. Why would the plaster company cut a pipe with a bunch of holes in it flush knowing it would leak?

Plumber just stubbed up through the shotcrete and capped off pipe. Plaster company cut both pipes flush and stuck a drain cover on it. The pipe was a 1 1/2 PVC pipe with holes drilled into it that went a couple feet down into crushed rock. Why would the plaster company cut a pipe with a bunch of holes in it flush knowing it would leak?

You had a failure to communicate. A proper main drain fixture should have been used by the plumber.

Plaster company thought they were looking at suction pipes.

Is there any way to get one in there now? Like an inside coupler and female adapter without having to chip away at the plaster?
Not likely. You need to get the main drain fixture flush with the plaster. You need to chip out a hole to recess the fixture.

I would just plug the pipes you have there now if groundwater around you is not a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you will need to drain the pool to get to the pipes for whatever way you want to fix it.

If you are good with diving down or have scuba gear you can put in a rubber winterizing plug in the pipes temporarily.

Rubber_Expansion_plug.jpg

How long will those winterizing plugs be good for until I can figure out how to fix?

Hard to say. A few weeks maybe months if you get them in really solid.

How deep is your pool by those pipes?

Will you have clearance to get the drain cover over the plugs to protect them?

Any pool cleaner will dislodge them.

If the plugs get kicked they will probably leak or pop out. You can use the rubber plugs if no one will be in the pool.

And they can injure feet if stepped on.

Do you think I could get an inside coupler (one that slips inside the PVC pipe and a female adapter and put either the hydrostatic valve (non stepped version like one with only 1 1/2 npt threads) or a threaded plug?
You need to see if your buildup will fit under the drain cover.

Get some PVC and an extra drain cover and mock it up on land to test the fit before you try it in the pool.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Just to be clear - there is no main drain sump there, it's just two PVC pipes running up through the gunite shell? Hard to tell which pipe is doing what function ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.