Pool Is Green With High Chlorine Reading

I added the DE to the sand filter through the skimmer following the directions from the site. However, after adding almost 2 cups of DE the PSI had barely increased. I don't believe I have an issue with the filter gauge since it goes to 0 when off and reads normal when filtering. Could I have an issue with the sand filter? I'm going to let it run to see if it works at all, but I found that odd.

Before I started the SLAM process I had to change the gasket of my multi port valve due to leaking from backwash line. I didn't mention that at first because I didn't think much of it but not sure if I am experiencing an issue from that. I felt the sand filter was functioning properly but I don't recall a start up for me that has taken this long so I'm trying to think of everyone that could be causing it.

Just to update PSI has risen by 5% since adding the DE, so not as much as I anticipated but it is at least risen so I don't believe the filter has a problem. The Metal Magic has arrived and I was planning on when to add it. I passed the OCLT and pool clarity is very good besides being light green so at this point I am operating under the assumption of metals in the water. I mentioned before that they recommend adding it when FC is at 1-3 ppm but based on my CYA, I need to keep the pool around 5-7. It doesn't seem like a huge difference but I didn't know if that would be high enough that it would interfere with the way the sequestrant works and nullify it at all. Thoughts?

I spoke with someone at ProTeam who recommended I abide by the directions on the bottle and let FC drop to 1-3 ppm. He said you basically want as little chlorine in the pool as possible. I tested this morning and I was at 8 FC, but I am just above my current target range of 5-7 based on 40 CTA. I don't want to let my FC drop below the min level but I also don't want it to be high enough that the Metal Magic won't work. Thoughts on best strategy here?

I wanted to update here. I ended up letting the FC drop and then applied Metal Magic which turned the pool completely blue but cloudy. I was attempting to keep my pool around 3-5ppm FC but every time I added a bit of chlorine, a few hours later the water would turn green again. So now I’m shifting my focus back to trying to remove the metal from the water. I added some more Polyfill yesterday and this is how it looks. Does this look like iron? I will keep doing that but anything else I can do in addition to? The pool is cloudy but I think it’s from the MM. I passed an OCLT and my CC is 0.5. PH was 7.0 (completely yellow) so I’ll need to bring that up. There’s also these specks that no matter how much I filter it seems to be on the surface of the pool (not sure what it is - maybe pollen).

Attachments

• IMG_7361.jpeg
    IMG_7361.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7360.jpeg
    IMG_7360.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7357.jpeg
    IMG_7357.jpeg
    711.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7358.jpeg
    IMG_7358.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 11

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Polyfill looks to be grabbing iron.
I wasn't sure if it was pollen/other debris or iron. I noticed the skimmer sock was a rust color as well - is that helping catch anything or just stained from the iron? Outside of rigging a 5gal bucket into a makeshift Polyfil filter (not sure if that is preferred vs stuffing the skimmer basket), anything else I can do to help along the process?

My pH is on the low side (I assume the MM lowered the pH but I may be wrong), in order to filter out the iron as best as possible, is there an optimal spot the pH should be at?

I think my pH is 7.0 but very well could be lower (completely yellow in the test). I am buying some 20 Mule Team Borax today to increase it to 7.4 (unless anyone thinks its best to keep pH low during the iron removal process). Not sure if low pH is making the metal scaling problem worse by potentially corroding the pool pump or not.