Pool Is Green With High Chlorine Reading

Even though you can’t see you need to remove all the organic material- vacuuming & scooping blindly.
How often are you testing & replenishing fc?
Are you on a well?
Yes, I plan on doing another round of vacuuming tomorrow morning. I am testing, replenishing FC and brushing the floor & walls each morning. My FC has been at least 20 each time I have tested over the past week which should be sufficient based on my CYA so I don't believe I am dipping below this mark during the day. Does FC test also need to be tested at room temperature? I have been doing that as soon as I collect the water sample when the sample is probably 45 degrees if I had to guess. Also, yes we have well water.

Yes, I plan on doing another round of vacuuming tomorrow morning. I am testing, replenishing FC and brushing the floor & walls each morning. My FC has been at least 20 each time I have tested over the past week which should be sufficient based on my CYA so I don't believe I am dipping below this mark during the day. Does FC test also need to be tested at room temperature? I have been doing that as soon as I collect the water sample when the sample is probably 45 degrees if I had to guess. Also, yes we have well water.
The fc test isn’t affected by the cold water - all good there👍🏻
i am a little concerned that you may have iron in your water that’s causing the green to persist because it has oxidized due to the high fc.
It wouldn’t really have anything to do with the cloudiness (that’s algae/hopefully mostly dead algae at this point) and sand filters are the slowest to clear the smaller particles so cloudines is to be expected for a little bit.
To test the iron theory you can put some polyfill (pillow stuffing/stuffed animal guts)
in your skimmer to see if you catch any iron whilst at slam fc levels.

The fc test isn’t affected by the cold water - all good there👍🏻
i am a little concerned that you may have iron in your water that’s causing the green to persist because it has oxidized due to the high fc.
It wouldn’t really have anything to do with the cloudiness (that’s algae/hopefully mostly dead algae at this point) and sand filters are the slowest to clear the smaller particles so cloudines is to be expected for a little bit.
To test the iron theory you can put some polyfill (pillow stuffing/stuffed animal guts)
in your skimmer to see if you catch any iron whilst at slam fc levels.
I think you are probably right in regards to the iron. I've noticed some rust on my pump basket and vacuum. I did notice this last year as well but never had this problem. Maybe when I filled the pool up some more was added through the well water and it precipitated when I SLAMed the pool. I could still do the PolyFill test, but not sure how to do it.

I attached a few more photos. If there is iron in the water, what are the solutions? In the past, I have used a combination of Metal Magic & adding DE to the sand filter to catch and filter out the metals, so I suppose I can do that again. I would assume I need to continue to SLAM the pool until I am sure all of the algae is gone and then lower my FC and try using Metal Magic again.

I tested the FC & CC in the pool this morning and the FC was 17 and CC was 0.5, so I think I am making progress in terms of eliminating the algae but the cloudiness is throwing me off a bit.

Attachments

• image_16887297.JPG
    image_16887297.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image_50364929.JPG
    image_50364929.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image_67211777.JPG
    image_67211777.JPG
    490.2 KB · Views: 17
You literally just rip open a pillow/stuffed animal & put the polyfill in the skimmer. You can use a skimmer sock to keep it together if you want.
While you’re at slam level & it has precipitated out it’s your chance to catch it & remove it from the pool.
You can also buy a bag of polyfill for like $4 at Walmart

Metal magic is a sequestrant - it just “hides” the iron & will prevent you from catching it with the polyfill & removing it from your water.
Sequestrant also has the potential to cloud the water even more so I would hold off on that as it would do you no favors there.
While they claim it allows you to catch it in your filter that function is iffy at best. Its main function is to hide the metal & to continue doing so you must replenish the sequestrant with maintenance doses (metal magic is monthly) as fc breaks it down. Some with very light staining also note that it lifts them.
I wouldn’t use Metal magic or any sequestrant until you’ve caught all you can catch via the polyfill and the slam is complete. You can just rinse the polyfill out with the hose as it gets dirty with iron.

Reactions: Newdude
Metal magic is a sequestrant - it just “hides” the iron & will prevent you from catching it with the polyfill & removing it from your water.
Sequestrant also has the potential to cloud the water even more so I would hold off on that as it would do you no favors there.
While they claim it allows you to catch it in your filter that function is iffy at best. Its main function is to hide the metal & to continue doing so you must replenish the sequestrant with maintenance doses (metal magic is monthly) as fc breaks it down. Some with very light staining also note that it lifts them.
I wouldn’t use Metal magic or any sequestrant until you’ve caught all you can catch via the polyfill and the slam is complete. You can just rinse the polyfill out with the hose as it gets dirty with iron.

That makes sense, I will try that approach.

I ordered some PolyFil and it should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I am continuing the SLAM process. While the pool is still green (assuming from the iron in the water), should I continue until it the water clarity is perfect before doing the OCLT? It is still somewhat cloudy near the middle of the pool so I am assuming that is algae and not metals in the water? CC reading is 0.5 as of this morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup, pretty simple. Still at slam level fc correct?
Yes, I have kept the FC at SLAM level. I checked the PolyFil after a day of running the filter and it certainly caught a lot of bugs and debris but I did not notice any metal staining. I'll continue running the filter but any idea how long it typically takes for the PolyFil to catch the metal that has precipitated in the water?

Yes, I have kept the FC at SLAM level. I checked the PolyFil after a day of running the filter and it certainly caught a lot of bugs and debris but I did not notice any metal staining. I'll continue running the filter but any idea how long it typically takes for the PolyFil to catch the metal that has precipitated in the water?
If precipitated iron is your problem (the reason for the green water) it will become obvious after a day or two on the polyfill.
**Polyfill will not catch copper.
Has the pool color gotten any better?
Keep slamming until you get to Crystal clear water (even if it is a color).
Have you ever used copper containg chemicals in your pool?
Chlorine products that say xtra blue, 4 in 1 etc., algaecides?
If you’re passing the oclt & have time to babysit the filter you can add a little de the filter to help catch the finer particles which are causing the cloudiness.
Here’s the guide for that

It can take a month to clear a swamp especially if you got a slow start at clearing all the debris out and only maintaining slam level a couple times a day.
We’ve seen many long slams that look like yours & somewhat suspected metals but they suddenly turned blue overnight. Patience is key. Hang in there & Keep going 👍🏻
If you get to Crystal clear water with no recurring algae dead or alive & passing oclt & its still green tinted then we’ll pursue more avenues with metals aside from polyfill.

If precipitated iron is your problem (the reason for the green water) it will become obvious after a day or two on the polyfill.
**Polyfill will not catch copper.
Has the pool color gotten any better?
Keep slamming until you get to Crystal clear water (even if it is a color).
Have you ever used copper containg chemicals in your pool?
Chlorine products that say xtra blue, 4 in 1 etc., algaecides?
If you’re passing the oclt & have time to babysit the filter you can add a little de the filter to help catch the finer particles which are causing the cloudiness.
Here’s the guide for that

It can take a month to clear a swamp especially if you got a slow start at clearing all the debris out and only maintaining slam level a couple times a day.
We’ve seen many long slams that look like yours & somewhat suspected metals but they suddenly turned blue overnight. Patience is key. Hang in there & Keep going 👍🏻
If you get to Crystal clear water with no recurring algae dead or alive & passing oclt & its still green tinted then we’ll pursue more avenues with metals aside from polyfill.
Pool color has not changed much. Looks similar to my previous photos. I have not used copper containing chemicals in the pool, but just figured it could potentially be a metal contained the well water I suppose. I will get some DE to use for the sand filter to see if that helps with the cloudiness. The water is clear for the most part but not 100%. Just not sure whether it is live or dead algae, but have been on SLAM for almost 3 weeks now so figure it is likely dead. I'll stick with the current process and see if any progress is made over the next few days before figuring out next steps.

Here’s what we’re looking at after running for a few days. Not sure if that is iron or something else? I also bought some DE to add to the sand filter. I will add some after passing OCLT. My question is since it will cause the PSI to increase fairly quickly and I’ll likely need to backwash soon after, does it make sense to add it when it is almost time to backwash or is it best to add it after it’s already been backwashed?

Attachments

• IMG_7275.jpeg
    IMG_7275.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 6