Pool filter replacement

jonnyg3453

Jul 6, 2023
Cold Spring,NY
I have a 17 x 29 fox in ground pool that I believe holds 17,000-18,000 gallons and I would like to replace the sand filter and pump. my present system is a S210T filter and a 1hp hayward super Pump. I was hoping someone could tell me the perfect size I will need as I am thinking my present filter may be overkill. My plumbing is 1-1/2 " and it is 115v. I have no other features and only use a Kreepy Krauy suction cleaner

Bigger filters need cleaning less often. There is no too big until it can go all season. You should inspect the insides of a filter at least once a year anyway.

Larger pumps move more water at the same RPM, allowing the VS pumps to move the same water at less RPMs, for an energy savings.

Is anything wrong with the filter ? Will you stick with sand ? (I'm a hardcore cartridge guy myself)

Welcome to TFP.

Why do you want to replace your sand filter and pump?

The maximum flow rate for a sand filter should be about 15 gpm per square foot. So you can have a too small filter but just about never too large.

115V pumps at 1HP and above are limited by DOE Regulations.

Let's see what @1poolman1 suggests.

I have a 17 x 29 fox in ground pool that I believe holds 17,000-18,000 gallons and I would like to replace the sand filter and pump. my present system is a S210T filter and a 1hp hayward super Pump. I was hoping someone could tell me the perfect size I will need as I am thinking my present filter may be overkill. My plumbing is 1-1/2 " and it is 115v. I have no other features and only use a Kreepy Krauy suction cleaner
By most inground pool standards the S-210T is very tiny, especially when coupled with a suction cleaner. Without knowing what is in the pool area, best guess is that it has to be backwashed frequently, especially with a single-speed pump. A larger filter is always a good investment.
Couple that with a variable-speed pump and it would be good for many years with less maintenance (cleaning).

Both Waterway (PD-165) and Pentair (EC 342001) have pumps that will work on 120V.

The less expensive way would be to put a Nidec NPTT165 motor (with appropriate Go Kit) on the existing pump as it would give variable-speed performance and is able to be used on a 120V system. Using a suction cleaner with a VSP requires a bit of re-learning how to make everything work the best way.

The money saved on a VSP could then be applied to a larger sand filter or a large cartridge filter.

Bigger filters need cleaning less often. There is no too big until it can go all season. You should inspect the insides of a filter at least once a year anyway.

Larger pumps move more water at the same RPM, allowing the VS pumps to move the same water at less RPMs, for an energy savings.

Is anything wrong with the filter ? Will you stick with sand ? (I'm a hardcore cartridge guy myself)
Thank u newdude, not sure if problem with filter. I have not had a chance to break it down yet. I do notice sand in the site glass and see sand on the ground where the backwash hose drains. I was told that 1-1/2" pipe can only handle so much water and an over size pump will overwork when trying to push more water than the pipe can handle. I am looking for the east expensive way possible as money is tight. Thank u for your reply

Thank u all for your very quick responses. I may be really reacting too quickly but this the first year I have bee having problems getting the water clear.. Still cloudy and pool store said my chemistry is right on the money and I was worried when seeing some sand in site glass and out the backwash hose. I had read that vs pumps were the way to go but see that they are very expensive.I will look up the prices for pool man's suggestions.right now my priority is getting the pool clear.

may be really reacting too quickly but this the first year I have bee having problems getting the water clear..
Have WE got news for YOU !!!!!

There's a great chance you have chemistry troubles and can save all that coin on new equipment.

Invest a little in an accurate Test Kits Compared and we'll teach you the rest.

Here's our pools and we walk people through the same for theirs, around the world, on the daily.

How Clear is TFP Clear?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.