Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all,

Our pool dig has started!! I did have a question on best temps for gunite. I'll be provided updates of the pool here as it moves along as well as looking to you all for help and guidance. So far everyone has been great and so thank you all for that!

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited:
Hi All.....another question to see how everyone does it. My last pool never ever filled up to the point where I had to drain it after a heavy rain. However, my neighbor had to do this almost every time it rained. So my question is on our new pool build what should I ask for that would make this easier? Is it "Ok" to run a line from a valve that comes from the pump and straight into the sewage line to run pump and drain pool automatically or is that a big no no? What are my other options beside connecting to filter and draining that way?

I have a pipe that comes from the pump output before the filter ad ties into my deck drains that go all the way to the street. The plumbers had no idea what I was talking about when I told them I needed the drain pipe installed, they call it a backwash pipe even though I can't actually backwash my filter through it

Hello....looking to everyone to help us with pool returns and how many are recommened for our size pool. It is 38' ft. long x 24' w in shallow x 18 ' wide in deep end. Please see attachments. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Updated Pool Dimensions as of 11_12_2020.JPG
    Updated Pool Dimensions as of 11_12_2020.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 78
2 skimmers and 3 returns.
Just to be sure I'm on the right place the returns are the little nozzles on the side wall that send water back into the pool after filtering....correct? And if so your only saying 3? The pool builder had 5 and I thought he was short 1 or 2?

Thanks!

So let me ask you all. Attached is my pool drawing. The pool builder isn't putting in any deck drains that I'm aware of. Is this because it is far enough from the house that it doesn't require it? Or where should I ask to have them put it?

Attachments

• Updated Pool Dimensions as of 11_12_2020.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 42

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are the green circles skimmers?

Where is your builder proposing to put the 5 returns?

No the green circles are planter bowls. The skimmer is not shown but is going to be towards the top of the pool in the middle of wall. Trying to dexide if I should put a 2nd skimmer perpendicular to that on the left side wall of the deep end?

The skimmer(s) should be into the prevailing winds as wind affects debris on the water surface more then the returns do.

Sound wind blows from the bottom of the pool drawing uo to the top. Can you show me where you would put skimmers and returns? Thanks!

If it gets really high from rain and we're expecting more rain I'll use the hose bib on the pump into my yard. But i avoid that if at all possible since you drain out cya and salt which would need to be replenished. I prefer to just wait for it to evaporate which it will do in a few days or so without rain. Really as long as the skimmers aren't totally flooded I'll let it go.

Skimmers in red at the top and returns in green at the bottom. Water will flow from bottom to top.

So let me ask you all. Attached is my pool drawing. The pool builder isn't putting in any deck drains that I'm aware of. Is this because it is far enough from the house that it doesn't require it? Or where should I ask to have them put it?
Its hard to tell on the drawing, but I assume the square on the bottom is a covered patio. If so, I would want to have one or two near there to catch anything coming from the roof and to make sure water doesnt drain from the pool deck to the existing patio.

Deck drains are not an "automatic" feature or requirement that are put in. Most pools don't have them. They are put in when needed for water to drain away from the pool. If the area drains well as it is and not into the pool, there really is no need for them. Your builder would probably put them in if you asked for additional cost.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
What PoolGate said. I have no deck drains because the elevation of the decking and the way it is pitched, I don't need any to prevent water from running into the pool. I haven't seen photos of the area where the pool is going, so I can't give any opinions on it, but I would discuss with the builder how they plan on keeping rain water from getting in the pool, if you have any concerns about it.

--Jeff

Drainage should be number item on your plan...both for overfill and torrential floods. Nothing more exiting than a pool full of mud! If you have an autofil, there should be a drain in there.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.