Planning new build in NY

newpoolbuild

Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
NY
Moved from here.

What is geotextile? I am about an hour of if you. We are trying to finalizing the design of an inground pool as well. 20’x40’, w deep end 8’. What’s everyone choosing for filter, pool water sanitation (chlorine generator or clear comfort ?)thx
@jimmythegreek
Now is a great time but you wanna break ground soon. Work gets harder right around halloween when we start getting froat here in NJ. For pavers you want natural settling and heavy mechanical compacting along with a solid base. I'm up north in heavy clay I have 18" of base around my pool some spots even more. Down south doesn't need it with the sandy soil 6" is usually good. Insist on geotextile under you paver base

Moved from here.

What is geotextile?

A geotextile is typically defined as any permeable textile material used to increase soil stability, provide erosion control or aid in drainage. More simply put, if it is made of fabric and buried in the ground it is probably a geotextile! Geotextiles have been in use for thousands of years dating back to the Egyptian Pharaohs. These early geotextile applications were basically natural fibers or vegetation mixed directly with soil. Modern geotextiles are usually made from a synthetic polymer such as polypropylene, polyester, polyethylene and polyamides. Geotextiles can be woven, knitted or non-woven. Varying polymers and manufacturing processes result in an array of geotextiles suitable for a variety of civil construction applications.

We are trying to finalizing the design of an inground pool as well. 20’x40’, w deep end 8’. What’s everyone choosing for filter, pool water sanitation (chlorine generator or clear comfort ?

There are pros and cons to the three types of filters ...

Lots of us here use SWGs.

Do not do a Clear Comfort system. Read...

Reactions: Sollace
@ajw22 thank you for the detailed reply. I guess I will start a new thread asking for recommendations on pool equipment after learning so much in so little time from this forum. I am trying to start digging within before the ground freezes.

@ajw22 thank you for the detailed reply. I guess I will start a new thread asking for recommendations on pool equipment after learning so much in so little time from this forum. I am trying to start digging within before the ground freezes.

Keep one build thread going here with all your questions.

Hi everyone,
First of all, I would like to thank all the wonderful ppl of the community who gave valuable opinions and suggestions. We are still in the design stages of a 20' w x 44' long 35000 gallon in-ground vinyl pool. Its an very expensive project and my head is spinning with all the decisions that need to be made. To avoid expensive mistakes, I would like to run this by the community first.
I have attached a sketch of the pool, PB said he needs to take part of the existing 3' tall retaining wall down and extend it to a 6' tall double retaining wall with the bottom wall being a bench for Fire Pit, on top of the 6' wall, he will level it and put a 6 person hot tub, then he will lower the 6' retaining wall to 3 ft' along the patio line parallel to the property line. there will be a changing room/ storage on the deep end of the pool. so far, we will have automatic pool cover, SWG, diving board anchor installed, 4 LED color inpool lights, a few landscaping lights around the patio area. All the equipment will be housed at the corner of the house.
1. Any suggestions/ recommendations on pool design, where to put the fence, equipment brand and model?
2. which pentair model to use? everyone seems to like pentair on this forum.
3. where can I put a fence and leave enough room for my kids to play soccer and etc.?
4. where to plant privacy trees? pool would be wide open to the the street. and the yard slopes down.

Attachments

• pool design.jpg
    pool design.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 103
  • yard pic.jpeg
    yard pic.jpeg
    876.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Just spoke to PB last night. What do you think of these?

-20'x44' 35,000 gal in-ground vinyl diving pool
-cover star automatic cover + loop loc winter safety cover
-blue stone coping
-8' stepping in steps
-2 corner bench on deep end
-4 LED color inpool lights
1. pentair intelliflo pumps (011028)
2. pentair 2" sand dollar
3. hayward 40,000 BTU natural gas heater or should I ask for Pentair NG heater, if so, which model?
4. Screen Logic or easy touch?
5. Intellichlor salt system w/ 40k cell (which requires less work intellichlo or Ichlor?)

Thank you for any inputs and suggestions. As we never owned a pool before, we want sth that requires less work the better:)

npb,

I see several issues, but the main one is the size of your pool vs. the size of your SWCG.. You have a 35K pool and a 40K cell.. We always recommend that a cell be a least 2 X the volume of your pool. This is because the cell is rated when running at 100% output, 24/7.. Because of your location an IC60 is what you need.

There is no such thing as EasyTouch or ScreenLogic... ScreenLogic is just an add on system to an EasyTouch so that you can control things with your PC, Phone, or tablet.

There is no difference in "work" between the Intellichlor and the Ichlor... In your case the Ichlor is way too small.

While the EasyTouch will work just fine for you, Pentair has a new system call the IntelliCenter, which is much better and cost almost the same thing as the EasyTouch. You owe it to yourself to look at it.. Whatever you get, make sure it has the SWCG power supply is built inside the automaton and not a separate box..

Great pump!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi everyone,
First of all, I would like to thank all the wonderful ppl of the community who gave valuable opinions and suggestions. We are still in the design stages of a 20' w x 44' long 35000 gallon in-ground vinyl pool. Its an very expensive project and my head is spinning with all the decisions that need to be made. To avoid expensive mistakes, I would like to run this by the community first.
I have attached a sketch of the pool, PB said he needs to take part of the existing 3' tall retaining wall down and extend it to a 6' tall double retaining wall with the bottom wall being a bench for Fire Pit, on top of the 6' wall, he will level it and put a 6 person hot tub, then he will lower the 6' retaining wall to 3 ft' along the patio line parallel to the property line. there will be a changing room/ storage on the deep end of the pool. so far, we will have automatic pool cover, SWG, diving board anchor installed, 4 LED color inpool lights, a few landscaping lights around the patio area. All the equipment will be housed at the corner of the house.
1. Any suggestions/ recommendations on pool design, where to put the fence, equipment brand and model?
2. which pentair model to use? everyone seems to like pentair on this forum.
3. where can I put a fence and leave enough room for my kids to play soccer and etc.?
4. where to plant privacy trees? pool would be wide open to the the street. and the yard slopes down.
Hi newpool. I'm going to give you a hard time on something first...ample warning. That is the worst pool sketch I have ever seen!! Come on, you can do better - you are trying to spend a lot of money!! :)

I'd recommend getting good snapshots from Google Earth. One of the whole property for folks to get their bearing with your property. And another similar to what you have, but showing the whole house/deck/patio and surrounding pool area. Take that one, print it out and do some nice sketch work with a ruler and nice printing to show us your thoughts. And also some nice pictures from around your property showing various angles (say 3-5).

1) I think with a better first draft and pictures, you'll get good feedback.
2) I'd say Pentair as they seem to get the best/most feedback here from experts and certainly have good products.
3) See 1.
4) See 1. And just as important to where, is which trees and specific hybrids of those trees. The tradeoff with privacy is shade and leaves down the road. So the plan needs to include all of that. What is your timeframe to live here? If it's only 10-15 years that's one thing. But if it's 20-40 years, then most people mess up on ultimate tree size for that timeframe. Me included from time to time and I think about that stuff a lot.

Reactions: jdisauwg
npb,

I see several issues, but the main one is the size of your pool vs. the size of your SWCG.. You have a 35K pool and a 40K cell.. We always recommend that a cell be a least 2 X the volume of your pool. This is because the cell is rated when running at 100% output, 24/7.. Because of your location an IC60 is what you need.

There is no such thing as EasyTouch or ScreenLogic... ScreenLogic is just an add on system to an EasyTouch so that you can control things with your PC, Phone, or tablet.

There is no difference in "work" between the Intellichlor and the Ichlor... In your case the Ichlor is way too small.

While the EasyTouch will work just fine for you, Pentair has a new system call the IntelliCenter, which is much better and cost almost the same thing as the EasyTouch. You owe it to yourself to look at it.. Whatever you get, make sure it has the SWCG power supply is built inside the automaton and not a separate box..

Great pump!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, I will ask for IC60. The quote did say Easy Touch Conrols w/ Intellichlor Salt system, then a few lines down Screen Logic Bundle, I didn't know its same thing, I thought its 2 different brands:) I will research the IntelliCenter a little bit more. Thanks. I know these all sounds so easy to you guys but to me its like rocket science and I am trying to get digging before frost otherwise I would have to wait until next fall.

Thank you. I will try to get better pictures. I know I feel rushed to make a decision and get digging before frost. I totally agree with you, for a $100k+ project, I thought I would spend more time researching and studying. which I have, not enough on the detailed equipment. These stuff is like i am reading it but don't really get it. I have a corner lot with most of my yard on the side. 3/4 of it designated for septic and back up septic. that triangular corner is the only place for pool:) we decided to get the pool in first so the kids can enjoy it next summer and then worry about the fence later. my neighbor had the orange fence for most part of the summer.

Hi newpool. I'm going to give you a hard time on something first...ample warning. That is the worst pool sketch I have ever seen!! Come on, you can do better - you are trying to spend a lot of money!! :)

I'd recommend getting good snapshots from Google Earth. One of the whole property for folks to get their bearing with your property. And another similar to what you have, but showing the whole house/deck/patio and surrounding pool area. Take that one, print it out and do some nice sketch work with a ruler and nice printing to show us your thoughts. And also some nice pictures from around your property showing various angles (say 3-5).

1) I think with a better first draft and pictures, you'll get good feedback.
2) I'd say Pentair as they seem to get the best/most feedback here from experts and certainly have good products.
3) See 1.
4) See 1. And just as important to where, is which trees and specific hybrids of those trees. The tradeoff with privacy is shade and leaves down the road. So the plan needs to include all of that. What is your timeframe to live here? If it's only 10-15 years that's one thing. But if it's 20-40 years, then most people mess up on ultimate tree size for that timeframe. Me included from time to time and I think about that stuff a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
npb,

Asking questions at this point is exactly what you should be doing... good job.. :thumleft:

Way too many new pool builders wait until it is too late to decide on the most important things.

Keep on asking... That is why we are here..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just spoke to PB last night. What do you think of these?

-20'x44' 35,000 gal in-ground vinyl diving pool
-cover star automatic cover + loop loc winter safety cover
-blue stone coping
-8' stepping in steps
-2 corner bench on deep end
-4 LED color inpool lights
1. pentair intelliflo pumps (011028)
2. pentair 2" sand dollar
3. hayward 40,000 BTU natural gas heater or should I ask for Pentair NG heater, if so, which model?
4. Screen Logic or easy touch?
5. Intellichlor salt system w/ 40k cell (which requires less work intellichlo or Ichlor?)

Thank you for any inputs and suggestions. As we never owned a pool before, we want sth that requires less work the better:)
You will love your autocover. That is a big one. As I'm sure the line item price reflects. I too have that combo of autocover and winter safety cover. I enjoy that and it works well for me. Our autocover gets more use in Apr, May, Sep & Oct than in the summer months. But both still look in fantastic shape after 7 seasons.

Bluestone coping. I have that as well. It will be hot but it looks great and since our deck is concrete, it's a little cooler than the bluestone. Bluestone coping is fine once it's wet, so I just splash it if needed. Make sure to consider the surface texture/finish of the bluestone, natural cleft or thermal. Thermal is more formal looking and probably expensive (ours is natural cleft). Also confirm the thickness of the coping. Ours varies but is roughly 1 1/4" thick around the pool. Whereas the bluestone that covers the autocover is 2" and it looks better. I highly recommend getting stone to cover your autocover versus one of their metal lid options. Much nicer looking in my opinion.

I like your corner benches in the deep end. We have them in both corners as well.

Are those 4 lights big/full size ones. You will enjoy the color changing. It really adds to the ambiance. Placement of lights? Should be facing away from the house and main seating area if possible.

How many skimmer and returns? Placement?

Highly recommend the following:
Main Channel Drain A&A Manufacturing AVSC Channel Drain Dual Suction Vinyl - Light Gray #558371
Pouralid skimmer covers Pour-A-Lid

Thank you. very useful suggestions. The auto cover will be built under the blue stone coping. Will report back after we get a written quote tonight. I went to backyard stores to look at sheds/pool house. Any suggestions? The PB suggested 10' x 20' front end 10' x10' changing room, back end with a separate entrance from the opposite end outside the fence for storage. My town requires permit anything >144 sqft. Should I stay under 144 sqft for a prefab(saves ~$3500) instead custom build?

A 12x12 would be plenty of room to change. Heck you could have an open sitting area and wall off 2 changing closets. It would also be plenty for winter storage. But if you want style more than function (and have the funds) the pool house would be much nicer.

I would get the size building you think you want, not what you think you need and not what gets you in below the permit level.

But I think there's a lot to be considered about the building's functionality before deciding. Layout of whole pool space, use case for each section of the building, etc.

Reactions: Newdude
Thank you @bmoreswim we are doing the 10' wide (1 door 2 windows with a front porch and 3 posts) x 20' deep shed on concrete pad. each room will get a ceiling light. The vinyl siding and door will match our house. exposed wood, No dry wall, what should I use for the floor in the front changing room with everyone would be coming in soaking wet? the front porch would be concrete floor.

Any reason the PB wont wait til spring to dig? In reality a project of this size is gonna drag all winter if you haven't started yet and winter work can be less than quality in some cases. Not to scare you off I'm just pointing it out so your careful. Rushing never ends well so just make good decisions and ask here for anything on your mind

No advice. I'm totally jealous of you and the awesome pool you will have. We bought our place with pre-existing (30 year old) 20 x 40 vinyl liner pool 2 years ago. Never got to make our own decisions. Well, we replaced the old liner, but other than that we are stuck with the pool as is. How fun for you to get to design and pick everything the way you want it!

The PB said is going to take 4-6 weeks. Then we will do the retaining wall and patio in the spring.
Our only concern is mud slide from the retaining wall. PB said he will put concrete footing on the bottom and vermiculite backfill so that is ready for patio now vs wait for dirt to settle
Any reason the PB wont wait til spring to dig? In reality a project of this size is gonna drag all winter if you haven't started yet and winter work can be less than quality in some cases. Not to scare you off I'm just pointing it out so your careful. Rushing never ends well so just make good decisions and ask here for anything on your mind

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.