Springville, Utah
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello everyone! We are currently building a pool here in Utah. Here’s a little background:

The pool contractor we went with has recently started shifting from landscaping to building pools. We are not worried about his expirence level as he has 20+ years of expirence of building pools. (Before he started his landscaping company, he worked for various residential and commercial pool contractors). He is also having a well known pool builder assist him in some areas.

Our question is whether the Pentair intellitouch or intellicenter would be better. At first we told our contractor that we would like the intellicenter as it is Pentair’s “latest and greatest”. After talking with him today he told us that he has been talking with some other pool contractors who told him that the intellicenter is really buggy and glitchy. I understand that it did have some problems like this at launch, but I am wondering if most issues have been addressed in software updates. My therory is that these “other contractors” tried out the system right as it came out and stopped using it since due to the bugs. They probably haven’t tried using it with the new software updates.

Sorry if a question like this has already been posted, I tried to find something like this but couldn’t.

I think @MyAZPool might have some info for you regarding bugs. He's written a great article about some aspects of the IntelliCenter:

Depending on the bugs, the fact that an IntelliCenter is user upgradeable, and that Pentair has a lot at stake to work out any bugs, even if it did still have some, I'd still lean towards IntelliCenter, as it's somewhat safe to assume Pentair will be motivated to get everything straightened out. There are some long-standing issues in some Pentair hardware that they have taken way too long to fix, IMO, and some still aren't fixed, so I make that claim with that caveat. But IntelliCenter is their flagship product, so I wanna say it's going to get higher priority than any of their other controllers.

ScreenLogic, the magic that allows EasyTouch and IntelliTouch to work with computers and phones and iPads, etc, no longer works on the latest Macintosh desktop OS. They had years to plan for that known issue, and chose not to. They may someday fix that, but they may not. They've made no indication that they have plans to. This is why relying on their older tech, even though tried-n-true, is just as risky as giving their latest tech a shot. It's a tough call...

Last edited:
@jdoghaf

1. I agree with both comments above that opting for the IntelliCenter would be your better alternative versus EasyTouch or IntelliTouch. And if you are using a Mac, @Dirk is absolutely correct. Stay away from the screenlogic platforms (EasyTouch and IntelliTouch). In my opinion, Pentair will NEVER fix that issue.

2. However... Although IntelliCenter is your best bet, many of what you refer to as "bugs" have NOT been "worked out" and they may never be. I have been involved in countless written and verbal conversations with various key individuals at Pentair regarding all of this. And based on that fact and those experiences, I have little to no confidence that these issues will ever be addressed.

Here is a current list of the many problems that IntelliCenter is currently experiencing.

1. WatchOS and Alexa App - Currently the watchOS app does not work (Server Error)! The IntelliCenter software teams have confirmed to tech support that not only is the watch OS app currently down but the Alexa app as well.​
2. iOS App - The latest version of the iOS app (1.9.128) fixed the dark mode compatibility but now the ability to save scheduling edits are non-existent. When the user navigates to the schedules menu and edits a time or date on an existing schedule, there is no way to save that edit. If you just use the back button, the edit does not change or save. And since there is currently no way to edit an existing schedule in the web client, existing schedules cannot be edited in either the iOS app or the web client now.​
3. Web Client – Existing schedules will not expand when clicked on which completely prohibits the ability for the user to edit an existing schedule. This issue began with the release of the latest web client update (1.044 b1 January 30, 2020).​
4. Web Client Schedule names revert to SPECIALCIRC 1, 2, 3 ETC: This occurs when a user creates a CIRCUIT GROUP and then creates a new schedule. No problem creating the new group. Then the user navigates to the SCHEDULES page > ADD PROGRAM, and then uses the pulldown to select that new CIRCUIT GROUP. Then the user configures days and times and then clicks SAVE. Once the new schedule is saved, the Circuit name in the scheduling page renames to SPECIALCIRC1, 2, 3. ETC.​
I even tried do the exact same thing at the panel and everything works fine there. The schedule name is the name of the circuit selected from the pulldown. But once I come back in and open the web client and navigate to the SCHEDULES page, it has renamed. The name is correct on the panel but not on the Web Client.​
5. Web Client The SUNSET, SUNRISE and associated offset option buttons are missing on the SCHEDULES page. They are there on the Android app. Kind of, on the iOS app (although not spelled out or indicated very well).​
6. Web Client, iOS and Android Apps The Pentair lighting HOLD/RECALL feature is missing on the web client, iOS and Android Apps.
7. Web Client, iOS / Android Apps and Control Panel - There is absolutely no way to sort or move entries with regards to Feature Circuits, Circuit Groups or the schedules. Not at the control panel and not in any of the user interfaces to include the web client, the iOS or android apps, etc. This fact is extremely frustrating.​
8. Google Home - Currently, Google Home Integration is unavailable. The Pentair website says that IntelliCenter is supposed to work with Google Home. Pentair Tech Support was notified of this problem and passed it to an IntelliCenter product manager but as of this review, there has not been any resolution to the issue.​
9. And lastly is the issue of IntelliValve RS-485 communications capability. When I first spoke with various Pentair employees, I discovered that Pentair would release a firmware update that would allow the IntelliValves to be placed on the RS-485 bus of the IntelliCenter. I was informed that this particular update would allow five preset positions on the IntelliValve. I was told that this firmware update would be publicly released in the second quarter of 2019.​
Myself and others that I know who operate the IntelliCenter, have been in contact with Pentair Tech Support many times inquiring about this issue. It seems that the topic has now went cold and nobody now seems to know anything about it. This is very disconcerting. I have already installed the Serial COM Expansion board within the IntelliCenter panel, in anticipation of this firmware release but still nothing.​
It would be great if the Pentair IntelliCenter software engineering and development teams would begin to work on the issues outlined above. I would be happy to amend my review once some of necessary fixes take place.​

These are just some of the biggies. The IntelliCenter web client is the biggest problem. The servers go down on a regular basis. I have found alternative methods to circumnavigate this issue but that is a whole other chapter.

However, in Pentair's defense, much of initial "launch" problems have been identified and fixed through updates. I know because I have been operating an IntelliCenter since the very first day that they released it. This is also something that you really can't do very easily with the other two platforms (updates).

You can obtain much more detailed information in the following threads.

Even though there are still many issues (mostly with software and the web-client), I still would not hesitate for one second to opt again for IntelliCenter versus the other Pentair automation systems. It's not perfect but it is still the best commercially available pool automation system on the market.

Take care, welcome to TFP and good luck on your new build.
r.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Jimrahbe, @Dirk, and @MyAZPool, you've been really helpful.

Regarding the intelliCenter, It's sounds like Pentair just needs some new leadership on their software team. You'd think that Pentair would want to perfect their software as it affects the user experience more than anything. What's most annoying about it, is that it's not a hardware problem that requires recalling or replacing products, rather it requires just a simple software push. All well, maybe some day they'll figure that out.

I think I will go with the intelliCenter, I'm not really worried about running into major issues with it, as I hear the Pentair Sales Rep here in Utah is amazing.

Reactions: MyAZPool and Dirk
And if you are using a Mac, @Dirk is absolutely correct. Stay away from the screenlogic platforms (EasyTouch and IntelliTouch). In my opinion, Pentair will NEVER fix that issue.
I left that out of my original post because I don't like to say that out loud, because I don't want that to be true. Unfortunately, I suspect it is... :( They'll fix the IntelliCenter long before they look backward to their previous offerings...

@MyAZPool, thanks for staying on top of the IntelliCenter for us here at TFP, and for hounding Pentair about it. Both efforts are valuable and important.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Excellent thoughts from the guys above!

The issues Pentair had early on with the Intellicenter deployment probably had a lot of PBs stay away from the product and stick with Easy Touch or Intelliconnect, their tried and true workhorses. While all the issues have not been fixed on the Intellicenter, enough of the major issues that would have given PBs difficulty, or the "normal" homeowner are not there anymore.

Also, jdoghaf brings up a point a lot of PBs don't take time to look at, their local Pentair reps. My PB installed just one Intellicenter before they put mine in. It was on their own pool at their house so they could figure it out. They wanted to install Easy Touch for me because they hadn't had enough time with this "new" product for them to be comfortable installing at customers. I insisted on it, so they had the regional Pentair guru come out to the house and set everything up. He came out twice during our build. We talked for at least an hour during one of his visits here, and was happy to do it. He showed me, and my PB, everything anyone would want to know about the Intellicenter. Not sure a lot of PBs use this resource, but it is there.

Reactions: MyAZPool
J,

Keep in my that @MyAZPool is not the "average" IntelliCenter user by far... My guess is that 99% of IntelliCenter users never even realize the problems that he brings up even exist.. As an example... I estimate that I only use about 20% of what my cellphone can actually do.. I have no real need for the other 80%. I suspect there are many bugs in that 80%, but the less people use a function, the less likely that it is to be fixed or updated.

I find that looking at the whole picture, rather than a few pixels, often gives a different view..

Thanks,

Jim R.

@gingrbredman
It sounds as if you have a very clear perspective on why the PB's might want to push the *.touch systems over the IntelliCenter. I have heard that same thing many times and I certainly agree with you on why they are doing it.

Working with the local reps are a good idea. Like anything else, there are ones that are extremely knowledgeable and will devote a lot of time to your build and then there are one's - well, maybe not so much. It will definitely be to anyone's advantage to use that resource if you can determine that you can trust that particular rep to give you valid and honest information.

@Jimrahbe makes a valid point that I may be using and/or "wanted to use", many more of the features than a good many of the IntelliCenter user's. However, unless I know exactly what features are desired and which one's are not, there is no way for me to tailor the requested information based on perceived requirements.

Without that information, I feel an obligation to provide as much detail as possible about ALL of the features that don't work as advertised (that I am aware of anyway), and then let the OP determine which one's may be applicable to their particular setup, requirements, desires etc. Anything less would be a dis-service in my opinion. Murphy's law states "that the one inoperative/missing feature that I fail to inform the prospective IntelliCenter user about will be the very one that the user may be looking to incorporate."

My only goal here, is to be as honest as possible in my overall IntelliCenter assessment which is solely based on my "real" and "hands-on" personal experiences with IntelliCenter. I am a volunteer providing an opinion based on user experience and I'm not trying to push one system versus another or attempting to persuade or discourage the purchase of any system. I have no "dog in that fight". I only throw "ALL" of the information out there that I am aware of (good and bad), and then the prospective user can determine if the inoperative or missing feature is applicable or not.

It is important to keep in mind that the majority of problems that I list are features that are actually advertised by Pentair to function AND to work according to normal and typical industry standards as well as typical user expectations.

When a user does their homework and studies the sales brochures, videos, cut-sheets and Installation and User's Guides, they typically gain an insight on exactly what features are available. Most are none to happy to find that although a particular feature is advertised, it either does not function according to expectations or is just not available at all.

When you are considering a particular model of automobile to purchase and the salesman tells you that it has an onboard navigation system, only to later find that the navigation only works 80% of the time or you can only input a destination between the hours of 8:00 and 12:00. You're not going to be pleased if you did not know that information beforehand. However, if you actually have no desire to use the nav system or you'll just be happy with what you get, then hey, no problem. Just disregard that info.

It's better to know ALL of the quirks, incompatibilities and inoperative features beforehand. Even if you may not be planning to actually use that feature. Then the user can determine what features are important to them and which one's are not. That is actually the "big" picture in my opinion.

I would rather an IntelliCenter user know exactly what features don't work at all, what features "partly" work and what features work great. Then the user can plan accordingly during initial setup without any false expectations in system capabilities. If they determine that they will not actually use certain features that are advertised to work, then they're good to go. (y)

I have looked and looked and I can't find anywhere in the Pentair documentation that contain statements similar to the following:

"This feature does not always function according to typical user expectations!"
"This very important user interface feature is not entirely or always reliable."
"Although Pentair is advertising this feature to work, in reality, it really doesn't. So we here at Pentair are very hopeful that you are like many of the "average" users and don't have any desire to actually use this feature."

In MY opinion, the bottom line is this....
1. Pentair IntelliCenter is the best "commercially available" pool automation system on the market today.​
2. Just don't believe all of the Pentair sales "hype" and touted "added" functionality that you read in the pretty brochures or view in their sales videos. If you do, you may be disappointed in the end.​
3. If you are looking for a pool automation system that has a few more features over the Pentair *Touch systems, AND ALL you are actually looking for is something to just activate a couple of schedules that turn on a light, a pump, a heater and you have a "typical or standard-type" pool setup, then you will most likely be a happy IntelliCenter user. In other words, the more simplistic you keep your requirements and expectations, the less likely that there will be disappointments.​
4. However, if find that you are more tech savvy than most. That you're the type that typically likes to squeeze every ounce out of present day technology that you can. That you are the type to base your requirements on advertised features. If you are planning a swimming pool setup with multiple pumps, heaters, various types of water features, multiple lighting configs incorporating complex scheduling, etc., etc..... If you desire precise functionality across various advertised user interfaces and platforms. If you expect that when you attempt to login to your system, that it will always be available for use. If you are the type of individual that is "detail oriented" when it comes to technology... Then you may have "some" disappointments with the IntelliCenter unless you are made aware beforehand of Pentair's shortcomings.​
But, all hope is not lost if you fit into the above category. There are several users of the IntelliCenter (as well as the *Touch systems) on this site, that have found comfort in added functionality when they have incorporated all the best that Pentair can offer with additional technology to obtain pool automation systems that offer quite a bit more capability, functionality and reliability. This avenue is not for everyone to be sure, but it is there for the taking for those "few", that are interested than doing a bit more than just having a pump or heater turn on with the push of a button.

But in all cases, never lose sight of the fact that in all of this, your goal is to have a clean, sanitized and well managed pool that you, your family and guests can enjoy with the least amount of work and headaches possible. Personally, that has always been my goal and I have certainly achieved it. I just get an added bonus when I can make it slightly better than what can be "normally" expected.

And one last thing before I keep this post from turning out to be book. It should be noted that much of my success in achieving my goals are directly due to the awesome advice and assistance from so many here on TFP. You will find this site to be a great resource. So keep asking questions. Keep receiving differing opinions and most importantly, have fun in the process.
r.​

Last edited:
@MyAZPool:

Of the bugs you listed, the one that jumped out at me was the Pentair servers going down. Once you have your IntelliCenter programmed, does it work as programmed, including schedules? Or is any of that dependent on the servers?

Does the "servers down" issue only affect your ability to program? Or the ability to access your system while you are away? Or the ability to access your system even from a browser operating on the same LAN at the IntelliCenter?

I'd like to hear more about what you can and cannot do when your IntelliCenter is not able to access Pentair servers.

Sidebar: I see all points made in those last two post by Jim and r as valid, even if seemingly contradictory. MyAZPool, one way to address the notion that 80% of your readers only need 20% of what you are reporting (or vice versa) is organization. Perhaps separate your reviews: put the two or three things that are going to affect/annoy most people first, followed by a statement like "And for you interested in the more obscure bugs:" or something of the sort... Kinda like the way the write newspaper articles...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@MyAZPool:

Of the bugs you listed, the one that jumped out at me was the Pentair servers going down. Once you have your IntelliCenter programmed, does it work as programmed, including schedules? Or is any of that dependent on the servers?

Does the "servers down" issue only affect your ability to program? Or the ability to access your system while you are away? Or the ability to access your system even from a browser operating on the same LAN at the IntelliCenter?

I'd like to hear more about what you can and cannot do when your IntelliCenter is not able to access Pentair servers.

@Dirk
When the Pentair IntelliCenter Servers are down, the OCP (Outdoor Control Panel), will continue to operate as programmed. However, a user cannot access the IntelliCenter web client from their computer, hence no access to the OCP from their computer. Period. It would be the same as if you could not access your ScreenLogic app. In other words, no computer access to the OCP!

However, if a user has downloaded and configured the iOS or Android app on their smart phone, iPad, tablet etc., then they CAN connect to the OCP "locally" only from one of those devices. You will NOT be able to access your system when NOT connected to your LAN unless you have established a VPN tunnel.

The last (and most effective) way to insure that an IntelliCenter user can ALWAYS connect to their OCP from their computer is to install and configure nodejs-poolController / nodejs-poolController-dashPanel. Then, the painfully slow, troublesome, 1990's style and frustrating Pentair servers become completely irrelevant!

@MyAZPool:

Sidebar: I see all points made in those last two post by Jim and r as valid, even if seemingly contradictory. MyAZPool, one way to address the notion that 80% of your readers only need 20% of what you are reporting (or vice versa) is organization. Perhaps separate your reviews: put the two or three things that are going to affect/annoy most people first, followed by a statement like "And for you interested in the more obscure bugs:" or something of the sort... Kinda like the way the write newspaper articles...
Will consider for a possible future list. Thanks :thumleft:

Last edited:
Reactions: maggiesfan and Dirk
Ugh, cloud servers. At the same time the heart and bane of our digital existence. Thanks for the explanation. Good to know there is a way around the servers, at least for those of a stout techie constitution.

It's interesting that an app can access the IC when a desktop web browser cannot. Have you figured out: does the IC have a built-in web server, or do Pentair servers "translate" calls from a browser into some other proprietary protocol that only the IC and its apps speak?

I have a pack of different types of HA devices that all have internal web servers. Even inexpensive devices. I can talk to them (issue commands as well as receive status) using simple URLs. I suppose Pentair's proprietary nature wouldn't allow such a simple, robust solution.

@jdoghaf

However, in Pentair's defense, much of initial "launch" problems have been identified and fixed through updates. I know because I have been operating an IntelliCenter since the very first day that they released it. This is also something that you really can't do very easily with the other two platforms (updates).

You mean there were more items than this?!?? Yikes. I though my Omni was bad. How long ago was this system introduced?
I can see how folks would be upset since many of these issues appear to impact basic functionality.

Do you know if their development team is in house or contracted out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.