PB insists on SVRS pump and Globrite lights

TXSteveO

Sep 9, 2021
Frisco, TX
Moved from here.
Don't mean to hijack a thread, but I've got a question on this...
VS pump for both pool and spa (bonus any remote control options) ... Intelliflo pentair hands down. No SVRS on anything you choose.
My PB is pushing the SVRS on me and says if I went with VS that I need to add an anti-entrapment device separately which is "not as reliable"...
Thoughts?

They're also pushing GloBrite lights b/c of "better illumination"...
Trying to push back, but not getting very far...

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
"They're also pushing GloBrite lights b/c of "better illumination"...
Trying to push back, but not getting very far..."

There is nothing wrong with GloBrite lights go for it.

How deep is your pool? I know you will have a spa just wondering if your pool is 5ft or over? If so you don't have to use svrs on your pool drain. You will have anti vortex pool and spa drain covers for keeping girls hair from being tangled in the drain. So that is really all the anti-entrapment needed. Those are hard to block, but if we are talking redundancy two is one, one is none.

You might be able to do duel spa drains if you have the room, or one 18inch drain cover. Same with your pool drain if it's less than 5ft deep. No svrs will be needed. Or

Tell the pool builder you have a vacless being shipped to you Vacless Pump Safety Vacuum Release SVRS-10ADJ - Swimming Pool Supply USA. Maybe he will sleep better at night. Bwhaha

I had an intellflo today I could not get primed without using quick clean as a bypass because the pumps svrs kept shutting the pump down during startup. Because of air in the system after emptying the filter for a sand change. They can be incredibly sensitive to air during priming, or sensitive while vacuming etc and shut down. I'm telling you, you will hate the built in svrs if you have had a pump without one. The vacless is detactable and is on many comercial properties across North Dallas. You can unscrew it and put the old pump drain plug back it in less than 30 seconds.

One of the code compliance guys for plano taught us how to clean them when the vacless stops working. It has a lid, and spring under it that sits in a houseing. Thats it. Very easy to repair, clean, or bypass when needed. The built in svrs in the intelliflo is a computer. Every Dang one of them have a mind of their own. Repair that. lol

Tell'em you'll pass and go with something much more reliable than an incredibly sensitive computer that is different from intelliflo to intelliflo.

I bet the PB doesn't have an svrs on his pool, ask him. If he says yes I'm calling BS.

"They're also pushing GloBrite lights b/c of "better illumination"...
Trying to push back, but not getting very far..."

There is nothing wrong with GloBrite lights go for it.

Globrite lights use a proprietary niche and no other lights will fit in it. Globrite lights do not have a long life so you are signing up to replace a light for a few hundred every few years.

I agree, do NOT get a pump with SVRS. It is overly sensitive and will only give you headaches. @Jimrahbe has one and regrets it.

Last edited:
They're also pushing GloBrite lights b/c of "better illumination"...
Trying to push back, but not getting very far...

Insist on Microbrite lights even if it means you get a few more.

TXSteveO said:
My PB is pushing the SVRS on me and says if I went with VS that I need to add an anti-entrapment device separately which is "not as reliable"...
Thoughts?
Tx,

Total Bull Feathers.. NEVER buy a pump with the SVRS option.. I know because my pool builder pulled the same con on me before I knew better.. I have figured out a way to limit the SVRS problems but never again will I buy any pump with the SVRS option.. They will go into the "Entrapment mode" if your next door neighbor just passes a little gas... Well almost anyway..

If I let the water level get too low and the waterfall comes on, or if I close the filter air vent valve a little too quickly, if for any reason the pump just "thinks" there is a pressure surge, the pump will shut off..

SVRS might have made a little sense when pools only had a single main drain cover.. Now, with dual covers, there is absolutely no need for the SVRS option..

TXSteveO said:
that I need to add an anti-entrapment device separately
Make him prove it...

I suspect he has a warehouse full of SVRS pumps he is trying to get rid of...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: TXSteveO
How deep is your pool? I know you will have a spa just wondering if your pool is 5ft or over? If so you don't have to use svrs on your pool drain.
We're looking at a pool where the majority of it is a 3.5'-4' with a 6' bowl on the end... so effectively I guess the answer is 6'

You might be able to do duel spa drains if you have the room, or one 18inch drain cover. Same with your pool drain if it's less than 5ft deep. No svrs will be needed.
Sorry, first time builder here... Not sure I'm following the potential for dual spa drains and the pool depth / anti vortex pool statements...
I'm still waiting on him to deliver me the plans and quote in email so I can't double check or validate anything that I didn't memorize when we went in to review this in his office the other day...

Appreciate the help here..

I’m not a big fan of globrite lights, I have a pool 4 years old 6/8 globrites have gone out. You can’t replace with anything else, like Allen said it’s a proprietary niche. The guy said he has used the lights one time.

Most likely, the spa will require the most flow when the jets are on.

You need to know how many jets you will have and what the flow rate per jet will be.

For example, if you have 8 jets that require 15 gpm per jet, you will require 120 gpm, which will require a 3" suction for the spa line.

For the spa suction with only main drains, I would suggest 4 main drains instead of two and a minimum of 2.5" suction and a 3" suction if the flow will be over 90 gpm.

For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec.

For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.

1.5"...........38...............51 gpm

2"..............63...............84 gpm

2.5............90.............119 gpm

3.0".........138.............184 gpm

4”...........234.............313 gpm

Agree dont get a svrs pump. They arent reliable amd shut off on their own at times. Also stay away from globrites. Your better off with no lights at all as you will end up with none working in a year or so anyway so you would be ahead money wise with no lights. Use generic 1.5 nicheless ligjta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
View attachment 373336

The SVRS applies to public pools with a single drain.

View attachment 373338

View attachment 373339
For your pool dual drains should be sufficient.

It does not appear that an SVRS is required.

You can check with the building department to be sure or ask the builder to cite the exact code they are relying on to require the SVRS.
James I learn something everytime you post, high five buddy.
"You can check with the building department to be sure or ask the builder to cite the exact code they are relying on to require the SVRS."

TXsteveO I try to tread more lightly here and did not want to say you don't NEED one. Same with the vacless, I suggested you tell your PB that you have one in route so the PB would feel like he has covered his stuff covered... So you wouldn't scare them off. But James has said it better above. Make them prove it if they are telling you you must have one.

I find it funny that jim hates svrs more than me . And I really hate them. investigate

OK so globrite lights are not a big winner I see, I never heard of any across the board problems with them, I don't deal with them much. I'll investigate more

Last edited by a moderator:

You can check with the building department to be sure or ask the builder to cite the exact code they are relying on to require the SVRS
It’s funny you mentioned this. One of my 2 quotes insisted on the SVRS. He had never thought of the dual drains (and dual skimmers) removing the requirement. So I went full ‘JamesW’ and sent him the local codes detailing it all. :ROFLMAO:

He reluctantly agreed to skip the SVRS but left it on me that the only code that matters is how the inspector interprets it. It would have been on me if the inspector didn’t agree

• Haha
Reactions: TXSteveO and JamesW
View attachment 373336

The SVRS applies to public pools with a single drain.

View attachment 373338

View attachment 373339

You can check with the building department to be sure or ask the builder to cite the exact code they are relying on to require the SVRS.

I finally got it out of the PB that they buy all their equipment in bulk and that's what they use.. SVRS pumps and GloBrite lights.... end of story according to them...
Looks like things are leaning more towards my other PB I'm working with..
Thanks everyone...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.