Owner pool build started - fiberglass partially in-ground

Looks great. Surprised on the 2" slope I've never seen that much on a smaller pool. No biggee looks like the guys got it right on the fly. It's ok to put a few inches in it to hold its spot you can also add gravel around the bottom edge. Drain is great always better to have......cheap insurance. Let us know if you need anything keep pics coming

Reactions: TKR
Rough in questions on cleaner options that I would appreciate some input on...

1) ) Robot Cleaner Rough-In. A quick scan of TFP seems to indicate robotic cleaner is the way to go with the main downside being cord tangling. We have a GFI outlet nearby on the patio, but would it be of any use if I rough-in a low voltage connection?

2) Pressure/Suction Cleaner Rough-In: Of these two, pressure cleaner seems better option. Should I rough in a dedicated return/pressure fitting? Suction cleaners seem to use skimmer port.

........Scott

Last edited:
Robot cleaners do not use low voltage.

IMHO suction cleaners are worthless. Rough in an extra pipe that you can use for whatever.

whats your plumbing schematic look like? how many returns and what suction fittings do you plan on?
I am working it out now. The distributor installed the fittings. First pass..................
  • Run1: (2) 1.5" return fittings with "eyeball" inserts. These are set in the entry end of pool and are fitted with 2" male adapters for the PVC pipe
  • Run2: (2) 2" wall mounted suction fittings with grilles attached. These are set at drain end of pool and are fitted with 2" female adapters for the PVC pipe.
  • Run3: Skimmer set at drain end of pool with 2" female fitting for the PVC pipe
  • Run4: Standard 1.5" adapter for LED light. Set at the drain end of pool and fitted with 2" male adapter for the PVC pipe.
All 2" pipe to the equipment shed except the LED conduit which I plan to reduce down to 1.5" pipe.. I was going to tee the two suction fittings into a single 2" pipe, and tee the two return fittings into a single 2" pipe
plumbing1.png

Last edited:
the wall suctions need to be combined into a single pipe so they comply with VGB so just use 2"pipe and T them together then home run them. use a 3way valve to combine that with the 2" skimmer home run and that is your suction side. seperate the 2 returns and home run them back to the pad. you never know if you have a problem with one you can abort and limp along. if they are together you are screwed and have to rig up a return on top of the deck. I personally would install 2 more returns down the sides. In the old days huge pools had a single or dual return system and a single skimmer and they work, but not very well. its nice to be able to direct your eyeballs. Im not sure if this is a standard setup i dont like pools that come pre-plumbed. you need to know which way is your predominant wind direction and thats the wall the skimmer should be one, then you use 4 returns for that size spinning the water around the pool. In this layout above you are counting on those 2 returns to shoot down the whole pool. At the least add another in the middle so you have stronger flow covering the whole short side pushing down the pool. returns only need 1.5"max pipe no need for 2"unless you stack returns

Why are going to have two 'Suction' ports and a skimmer? Just the skimmer is sufficient.

What is your prevailing wind direction?

Why are going to have two 'Suction' ports and a skimmer? Just the skimmer is sufficient. What is your prevailing wind direction?
The two suctions I refer to are the drains set near the bottom of the pool wall.

The prevailing wind is from the top of that picture in the winter. In the summer the prevailing wind is from the bottom of that picture and completely blocked by the house.

the wall suctions need to be combined into a single pipe so they comply with VGB so just use 2"pipe and T them together then home run them. use a 3way valve to combine that with the 2" skimmer home run and that is your suction side. seperate the 2 returns and home run them back to the pad. you never know if you have a problem with one you can abort and limp along. if they are together you are screwed and have to rig up a return on top of the deck. I personally would install 2 more returns down the sides. In the old days huge pools had a single or dual return system and a single skimmer and they work, but not very well. its nice to be able to direct your eyeballs. Im not sure if this is a standard setup i dont like pools that come pre-plumbed. you need to know which way is your predominant wind direction and thats the wall the skimmer should be one, then you use 4 returns for that size spinning the water around the pool. In this layout above you are counting on those 2 returns to shoot down the whole pool. At the least add another in the middle so you have stronger flow covering the whole short side pushing down the pool. returns only need 1.5"max pipe no need for 2"unless you stack returns
Thanks! I have tools to add more fittings but am not sure of proper sealant. I actually asked the distributor to install the fittings as he sells a lot of this model pool. No piping was pre-installed.

So to be sure I understand....
  • If I stick with just two returns they should be on separate 1.5" runs to the equipment pad?
  • If I add one more return it should be placed between the existing two, to increase water flow toward skimmer? Would I then have three 1.5" runs to the pad or could I tee two of them together into a 2" line?
  • If I add two more, they should go on the long sides? What would optimal piping/sizes be for four?
Predominant wind is from the top of that picture in the winter. In the summer it is from the bottom of that picture and completely blocked by the house.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to all for suggestions! Here are plumbing options, adding either 1 or 2 new returns, and another LED housing. Two returns are already installed on the entry end of the pool, as is one LED fitting on the skimmer end. Input is most appreciated!

Would two LEDs (switched via separate circuits) be too much light for such a small pool? (e.g. subtle mood lighting using the side LED and a brighter LED on the drain end for swimming)
25552-000-000-return-outlet-slotted.jpg

- Add an LED on the side of the pool, pointing away from the patio seating.
plumbing2.png

Option2:
- Add a 3rd return on entry end of pool between the existing returns, providing more flow in direction of the skimmer. This would mean putting it in the riser of the top step to keep it at same level as the other two.
steps1.jpg

- Add an LED on the side of the pool, pointing away from the patio seating.
- Would some sort of spa jets in this seating area be a bad idea?

plumbing2a.pngb

Last edited:
I'd lose the light at the end altogether. If you have two lights going in that size of pool....well... you might be signaling to alien lifeforms to swoop in from Mars or sumpthin?! That would be a LOT of light.

Maddie :flower:

As a new fiberglass owner that had my pool installed last October. Here is my experience. Fiberglass pools come in categories labeled small, medium, and large. My PB said the standard is one led light for small, two for medium, and three for large. We got a medium sized pool, so I thought two led lights for us. But the PB said the color of the shell impacts the lighting. With our shell being light blue the PB recommended just one light. I respected his opinion and agreed. I’m very happy with how our one pool lighted up the water at night before closing it up for winter. I respect our PB for being honest and not trying to up sell us.

Last edited:
PB said the color of the shell impacts the lighting.

Never thought about that. It makes sense.

I will stick with only one LED but adding a 1.5" fitting so it faces away from the patio as Maddie suggested. That'll leave me with an extra LED/ return fitting (already installed by pool distributor). Not a big deal - I should have thought it through a bit more before ordering the pool.

Anywhere down the side is fine. I would put then more mid way than towards the skimmer. A third in between will help too. In the pic it looks like seating where returns are now. If so you could do spa jets there and move the 2 close by on the sides. Pipe is cheap and easy work. For fittings use 3m 5200 sparingly on front. If you can source gasketed fittings for fiberglass you dont need it just quality silicone on the backside nut to seal tight. It's a good idea to home run it all back to pad it gives you total flexibility of every part of system and this is pretty basic straightforward install. I agree 1 light on a white pool your size is fine. Make the dead fitting a return that could power a cleaner if needed but is use a robot. Juat pipe it back. 1.5 is good for returns 2" for suction. All your pad equipment should be 2" fittings use all 2" fittings for both sides and drop down at the manifold for the home runs. Using jandy/pentair valves it's easy 2" goes on outside 1.5 slips inside works out perfect and best valves for a lifetime of worry free use. Can automate the valves and orings are only thing to replace down the road no plumbing work

I finally got some plumbing done. It's been pouring on and off and the trenches are mud. Things dried out enough that I was able to get a layer of gravel down in the trench and run the drain, skimmer, and one return, along with the electrical conduit. Additional return fittings arrived today, so 5 more 1.5" return lines are next - just as soon as it is dry enough. I had not planned on so many returns when we excavated, so the 12" wide trench will be a little crowded.

I would have preferred fewer fittings but.... the back wall of the pool is angled quite a bit so it took an few extra fittings to get the runs plumb and level. Also, I have to spread out the pipes which need to run through the retaining wall before being grouped in the trench. Each needs a sleeve where it will pass through the concrete block wall.

Mud everywhere.

poolpumbing2.jpeg poolpumbing5.jpeg poolpumbing3.jpeg poolpumbing4.jpeg poolpumbing1.jpeg

Some inspiration showed up. :)
2-2020.jpeg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.