Owner/builder SoCal

The last few days we finished up the electrical panel, started building the forms for the poured in place concrete countertop, and cleaned up the front yard.
44390318be6953fea860ecd234424a62.jpg
0bc19d61c15240a4e285c7db2bdb3b4f.jpg
90eec30dedf9ad30fc58345e88366f91.jpg
4f438bd31983afa6d775210a32ff5d79.jpg
I even used the quartz rocks we found during our dig and put them in the front yard to jazz it up a bit [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

968d5244767246d8ba00b3532f4b8941.jpg
80d5e9ac3edbdb965f9a0ed9cfe1befb.jpg
45e120ac4675c91d9562fceb580c88b6.jpg

Mike built the forms for the poured in place countertop. Not the prettiest looking forms but he didn't have to buy anything to make them and the end product will be the same. [emoji4]
While he did that I dug a few trenches and laid some pvc for our future plants. And I built this bench that I'll be sanding and staining tomorrow to go by our front door.

68041d0e6ff25d822c91d2781e00d6d3.jpg

Bottom of the poured counter top will be what??? Tiled? Plastered? Submerged? Dry?

My water chemistry spidey-senses are tingling...

Bottom of the poured counter top will be what??? Tiled? Plastered? Submerged? Dry?

My water chemistry spidey-senses are tingling...

The wood will all get pulled and it'll just be concrete on the bottom of the counter. We'll probably tile part of the underside of the countertop on the wet side - but I don't think it will matter on the dry side. The dry side where the gunite is exposed will get plaster. My dad is a retired stucco guy so I'm going to try and sweet talk him into taking up the trowel again (chances are though he'll just boss me and Mike around and watch us do it). We'll paint it Chelsea gray - the same color as our house.

You guys set the DIY bar so high. Very impressive and keeps me motivated even though my body keeps telling me otherwise. Half a day of shoveling dirt and I am done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll just go with 'they are younger than me' but it's also they have more skills!

Ok...I have no real experience here and Brian will likely get a smirk out of this but here's my opinion -

Tile the bottom.

More expensive? Yes.
Harder to do? Yes.
Waste of perfectly good tile? Sure.

Completely inert to pool water chemistry (assuming you use a good quality epoxy grout) and easy to clean with very little fear of algae finding a nook or cranny to attach to?

Heck yeah!!!!

I started drinking early today, so take my advice with a grain of salt....because salt goes great with margaritas!!!!!

Lol love me some margaritas

You guys DID factor a new margarita machine into the pool build, right??

I mean, that bar will not be complete without one.....and, if you were really serious about it, you'd have Mike run a dedicate line from the breaker panel to the bar for a direct connection...heck, that bad-boy might need its own dedicated 220V circuit...just sayin'.....

Ok...I have no real experience here and Brian will likely get a smirk out of this but here's my opinion -

Tile the bottom.

More expensive? Yes.
Harder to do? Yes.
Waste of perfectly good tile? Sure.

Completely inert to pool water chemistry (assuming you use a good quality epoxy grout) and easy to clean with very little fear of algae finding a nook or cranny to attach to?

Heck yeah!!!!

I started drinking early today, so take my advice with a grain of salt....because salt goes great with margaritas!!!!!

Flame spray it when you're doing the rest of the pool....no extra charge!

In all honesty, it will probably be just fine as bare concrete. The water will rarely see it except for right after a cannonball contest.

When Mike was a bachelor he had diy'd a margarita machine out of an old orange igloo water cooler, a garbage disposal, a water valve and an old metal stool. Maybe Mike has a pic he can post. I did make him give away that ghetto thing. Lol

Flame spray it when you're doing the rest of the pool....no extra charge!

In all honesty, it will probably be just fine as bare concrete. The water will rarely see it except for right after a cannonball contest.

Stalactites dude!!! They'll be growing some serious stalactites .... but I do like the AquaBright .... and, as you like to say,

....there's always paint..... :pukel:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.