Owner/builder SoCal

e0c2efaa5449a7ce89fb54ccbca9022d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking great!!

I was having a pity party tonight in the middle of digging up a trench I'd already dug twice so I can satisfy a picky inspector. I was sitting in my under construction spa (that someone else is building) and came across this thread. It was a great inspiration to get off my butt and get back to work! I consider myself a pretty hard core DIY-er but you guys win the prize!!! Can't wait to see the final.

I was having a pity party tonight in the middle of digging up a trench I'd already dug twice so I can satisfy a picky inspector. I was sitting in my under construction spa (that someone else is building) and came across this thread. It was a great inspiration to get off my butt and get back to work! I consider myself a pretty hard core DIY-er but you guys win the prize!!! Can't wait to see the final.

lol I have a pity party every time I have to haul broken concrete out of our yard in wheel barrows. I've had to do it more times than I can count and each time I pretend I'm in a Chinese concentration camp. Digging trenches sucks and inspectors can be annoying. When we did our second story addition the city inspectors used our house to train their new inspectors. The new guys would be trying so hard to impress their bosses they'd point out something they thought would "one day" be an issue...we'd have to spend hours going over every detail with them. In the end we won them all over and always look forward to seeing them now. [emoji4]

I felt the same way as you after reading and following this build. So I got out and dug some trenches and by the time I was done I wanted to delete this build forever and never do manual labor again Hahahah.
But they truly are inspirational and are a reminder that if you educate yourself on a task you can complete it yourself and save a ton of money

I helped my Dad with an O/B pool when I was about 14 and learned a ton. I remember when we were wrapping up and the electrical inspector came out. I was very proud of what we accomplished and though I knew a lot. I was shocked when the inspector failed us on a technicality so I started to quote electrical code and questioned his assessment...... that didn't go over so well. My Mom was with me at the time and I got in a bit of trouble when Dad got home. "Don't mess with the inspectors"................

It's been great to watch your build and inspiring to me and, i think everyone, to see how much you can really do on your own.

lol I have a pity party every time I have to haul broken concrete out of our yard in wheel barrows. I've had to do it more times than I can count and each time I pretend I'm in a Chinese concentration camp. Digging trenches sucks and inspectors can be annoying. When we did our second story addition the city inspectors used our house to train their new inspectors. The new guys would be trying so hard to impress their bosses they'd point out something they thought would "one day" be an issue...we'd have to spend hours going over every detail with them. In the end we won them all over and always look forward to seeing them now. [emoji4]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I helped my Dad with an O/B pool when I was about 14 and learned a ton. I remember when we were wrapping up and the electrical inspector came out. I was very proud of what we accomplished and though I knew a lot. I was shocked when the inspector failed us on a technicality so I started to quote electrical code and questioned his assessment...... that didn't go over so well. My Mom was with me at the time and I got in a bit of trouble when Dad got home. "Don't mess with the inspectors"................

It's been great to watch your build and inspiring to me and, i think everyone, to see how much you can really do on your own.

The great thing about doing it yourself is if they aren't going to pass you for something small you can always ask to fix it then or pass on everything else and have them come back the next morning. When you don't know what you're doing you have to wait for your builder to come in and fix it themselves or call their sub before you can move forward. Getting the run around can be just as frustrating as being failed for a technicality.

If one of my kids began to mouth off at an inspector they'd live to regret it too. Gotta love being a teenager and thinking we knew everything [emoji23]

If one of my kids began to mouth off at an inspector they'd live to regret it too. Gotta love being a teenager and thinking we knew everything [emoji23]

I once messed with an inspector and got fired. I was probably also 14 and cutting my neighbor's yard. The father and younger son were watching me. The father asks me overlap my rows more because I'm missing some on each row. I proceeded to get down on my hands and knees, head tilted sideways at ground level and declared, "no un-cut grass here, would you care to look too?" My mower and I were asked to leave and not return. Facts were irrelevant but the audience was important.

I felt the same way as you after reading and following this build. So I got out and dug some trenches and by the time I was done I wanted to delete this build forever and never do manual labor again Hahahah.
But they truly are inspirational and are a reminder that if you educate yourself on a task you can complete it yourself and save a ton of money

You all are too much!

Well I figured I should drop in here with an update on our electrical progress. We got the conduit in place and I ordered the wire from an online store. It was cheaper and cut to the foot to avoid leftovers. On a previous project a few years back we placed conduit under our front yard hardscape. We always knew a pool could be in the future. We dug it up and connected the ends. I need to do a little rearranging in my main electrical panel to make room for the breaker then pull the wire. Here is a pic of Joannie painting the conduit and a stucco patch from our solar run. (My OCD told me to move it so it looks clean).

b4afb0ebdbe1b1a795517ca41d92bdef.jpg

7d9f5af9886fb6fdf8c0ef1cbead1190.jpg

Here are a few pics from a couple years back pre running gas and electrical

53ec29a2565f21215e380af5fcc7edc5.jpg

e679e75ed37f9eef28b7f92f13c2eff9.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.