Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Kato, looking good I was given a sous vide and only used it a couple of times. You will have to give me some recipies :cheers:

Sous vide is the way to go. The best steaks you will ever make will come from the sous vide. I take a sirloin, sous vide it at 128 degrees for 3 hours. Then pan sear on a cast iron pan. They come out perfect every time.

We've been doing that reverse sear stuff and LOVING the steaks we've been making. Low oven to cast iron pan or grill.

I've sort of splurged lately and have been ordering prime rib eyes and Wagyu from Snake River Farms and while pricey, one steak feeds the both of us all too well.

Maddie

Sous vide is the way to go. The best steaks you will ever make will come from the sous vide. I take a sirloin, sous vide it at 128 degrees for 3 hours. Then pan sear on a cast iron pan. They come out perfect every time.
We've been doing that reverse sear stuff and LOVING the steaks we've been making. Low oven to cast iron pan or grill.

I've sort of splurged lately and have been ordering prime rib eyes and Wagyu from Snake River Farms and while pricey, one steak feeds the both of us all too well.

Maddie

The only thing I've found better than sous vide, is pellet smoking for about 45 minutes and then pan sear on cast iron pan. Amazing smoky flavor that you just can't get from sous vide and you get the same consistency of temperature that you get with sous vide. Plus, you can "man the fire" outside with a cold one.

I also LOVE throwing some butter in a pan with some garlic and using that to lightly drizzle over the steak. I've always been a proponent of a steak speaking for itself (A1?!?!?), but butter/garlic and mushrooms might be my exceptions.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Maddie
I was shown the reverse sear tech from another member on here and I haven't cooked a steak another way since. Beyond easy and perfect every time.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
guys. i got a question. we got ribs for a local place yesterday. Italian restaurant but he is branching out into BBQ. everyone in town is raving about it, but my fishing buddies were like no way it's going to be good. well it was awesome. i thought so at least. so did my family. The ribs had great smoke. pink and pink could be. but what i really loved about them was they fell apart. i mean the bone just pulled out like a pork shoulder. oct would say overdone, but they were beyond tender. the meat was pulled back like 1 1/2 inches. so how did he get them so tender and pulled back without drying them out? he did them in a huge multi bay smoker trailer with lump and oak wood. did he wrap them for so long after and then throw them back on to get the sauce to sticky them up? there is no way he cheated and pressure cooked them cause he wouldn't have that pink pink smoke color.

they were good. like really good!

The only thing I've found better than sous vide, is pellet smoking for about 45 minutes and then pan sear on cast iron pan. Amazing smoky flavor that you just can't get from sous vide and you get the same consistency of temperature that you get with sous vide. Plus, you can "man the fire" outside with a cold one.

I also LOVE throwing some butter in a pan with some garlic and using that to lightly drizzle over the steak. I've always been a proponent of a steak speaking for itself (A1?!?!?), but butter/garlic and mushrooms might be my exceptions.

Sous vide 1-1/2 thick boneless ribeye then pan sear piping hot cast iron and butter. Or I half fill a charcoal chimney and sear it over that! Oh yes, NO steak sauce. My family always drowned the steaks with Worcestershire UGH.

I've been really thinking of adding a pellet smoker to the collection. You are pushing me closer...... thanks

Reactions: Sotex
Sous vide 1-1/2 thick boneless ribeye then pan sear piping hot cast iron and butter. Or I half fill a charcoal chimney and sear it over that! Oh yes, NO steak sauce. My family always drowned the steaks with Worcestershire UGH.

I've been really thinking of adding a pellet smoker to the collection. You are pushing me closer...... thanks
I had two Traeger (Costco has great pricing) and then upgraded to a Memphis Woodfire when we moved to Chicago (the insulated stainless was ideal for the cold and wind). The open fire insert is great for searing. I can get temps of higher than 700 that I couldn't get with my Traeger. The Memphis are $2,500+ though (although I think they have a new Beale Street model that's cheaper and not made in USA).

Green Mountain Grills, Rec Tec, and others are some good ones too.

I had two Traeger (Costco has great pricing) and then upgraded to a Memphis Woodfire when we moved to Chicago (the insulated stainless was ideal for the cold and wind). The open fire insert is great for searing. I can get temps of higher than 700 that I couldn't get with my Traeger. The Memphis are $2,500+ though (although I think they have a new Beale Street model that's cheaper and not made in USA).

Green Mountain Grills, Rec Tec, and others are some good ones too.
We're near Meadowcreek BBQ, a Green Mountain dealer (and Yoder, but out of my pay grade) It's one of my favorite BBQ stores. hmmm.. I need to refill some of my Meadowcreek rubs - maybe a trip over there is due soon. Thanks for the tips. Keep manning the fire!

Reactions: Sotex
Very familiar with that area, however we are on the Northside. How are you liking Texas ? :cheers:
Born and raised in Texas, so it's home! We love it here. Enjoyed our almost 3 years in J'ville as well. Just moved from Chicago where we lived for 3 years. The summers along the North Shore of Chicago (Lake Bluff) are amazing!

Born and raised in Texas, so it's home! We love it here. Enjoyed our almost 3 years in J'ville as well. Just moved from Chicago where we lived for 3 years. The summers along the North Shore of Chicago (Lake Bluff) are amazing!
Chicago is nice but way too cold for me :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.