Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Brentr

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Born and raised in Texas, so it's home! We love it here. Enjoyed our almost 3 years in J'ville as well. Just moved from Chicago where we lived for 3 years. The summers along the North Shore of Chicago (Lake Bluff) are amazing!
Chicago is nice but way too cold for me :cheers:

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Guys with big green eggs or similar. I bought the 2 layer system so I can cook 2 racks of ribs. Should I rotate them when smoking or can they stay out for the cook? I’m worried about the difference in height and temp?694C7BDD-7A8A-40ED-BDE0-C14870FEA02A.jpeg

Brentr

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Guys with big green eggs or similar. I bought the 2 layer system so I can cook 2 racks of ribs. Should I rotate them when smoking or can they stay out for the cook? I’m worried about the difference in height and temp?View attachment 149220
I think I would rotate them but maybe not if the temp is the same on both racks. Do you gave a way to put independent temp probes to check the temps as a test?

mjlinss

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2017
Columbia, MO
ya I have 2 grate probes. I’ll put one on each grate.
You can put 2 on the top grate but I've never had a problem with them on different grates. If you're using a diffuser (conveggtor or whatever they call it now) it should be fine. I've done 2 pork butts on separate racks and they were done within 15 minutes of each other

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
So I’m doing a test fire for 200 degrees and 2 levels of cooking. Indirect heat thing is in egg and the 2 level grate system.

map my grate temp is different than some temp. If my recipe says 200 degrees and the grates r hotter what should I go by? Or am I splitting hairs.
Top grate is 225 ish and bottom grate is 219 ish and dome is 200.
I’m not rotating food. We r talking 4-6 degree diff.
But what temp should I go by for cooking?

grate or dome? Causethere is a difference?
20D42613-9B4C-4BA1-8042-28EC8A91BB6E.jpegB814C17F-CB58-4EBF-AE32-A26FCCE89889.jpeg

Last edited:

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Ya I know I figured. Bit my food has been coming out fine so I almost don’t want to mess things up. Well my grate temps ended up being only 2-3 degree difference so I’m solid there. Maybe I’ll aim low on the 200 degree side.

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
I’m cooking tomorrow. I experimented today. Lol

We just got steady raintoday Enough to ruin the river for fishing. Luckily we fished last night. Perfect night!

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
I’m up my sister in laws house. She Just bought a new toy.

I’m having a sangria. It’s ok. They add carbonation with co2. That kinda ruined it. I’m going to try the cosmo next.

go ahead someone say something. I’m secure in my manhood. I’ll drink a cosmo. I’ll order one out even. Lol

Its a cool idea. Man we r getting so lazy as humans. Lol

• Love
Reactions: kimkats

mjlinss

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2017
Columbia, MO
So I’m doing a test fire for 200 degrees and 2 levels of cooking. Indirect heat thing is in egg and the 2 level grate system.

map my grate temp is different than some temp. If my recipe says 200 degrees and the grates r hotter what should I go by? Or am I splitting hairs.
Top grate is 225 ish and bottom grate is 219 ish and dome is 200.
I’m not rotating food. We r talking 4-6 degree diff.
But what temp should I go by for cooking?

grate or dome? Causethere is a difference?
View attachment 149663View attachment 149664
Use the grate probes for true temp, but 225 or 250 will effect how long it takes, but not the results. On mine I get the dome thermometer to 250, open a beer, and relax! It'll turn out great no matter what temp you go at