Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys with big green eggs or similar. I bought the 2 layer system so I can cook 2 racks of ribs. Should I rotate them when smoking or can they stay out for the cook? I’m worried about the difference in height and temp?694C7BDD-7A8A-40ED-BDE0-C14870FEA02A.jpeg

Guys with big green eggs or similar. I bought the 2 layer system so I can cook 2 racks of ribs. Should I rotate them when smoking or can they stay out for the cook? I’m worried about the difference in height and temp?View attachment 149220
I think I would rotate them but maybe not if the temp is the same on both racks. Do you gave a way to put independent temp probes to check the temps as a test?

I use a rib rack in mine. the ribs sit vertically in the rack, which holds 5 full slabs, and then I can lay one or two more across the top. No second grate needed :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I’m doing a test fire for 200 degrees and 2 levels of cooking. Indirect heat thing is in egg and the 2 level grate system.

map my grate temp is different than some temp. If my recipe says 200 degrees and the grates r hotter what should I go by? Or am I splitting hairs.
Top grate is 225 ish and bottom grate is 219 ish and dome is 200.
I’m not rotating food. We r talking 4-6 degree diff.
But what temp should I go by for cooking?

grate or dome? Causethere is a difference?
20D42613-9B4C-4BA1-8042-28EC8A91BB6E.jpegB814C17F-CB58-4EBF-AE32-A26FCCE89889.jpeg

Last edited:
Ya I know I figured. Bit my food has been coming out fine so I almost don’t want to mess things up. Well my grate temps ended up being only 2-3 degree difference so I’m solid there. Maybe I’ll aim low on the 200 degree side.

I’m up my sister in laws house. She Just bought a new toy.

I’m having a sangria. It’s ok. They add carbonation with co2. That kinda ruined it. I’m going to try the cosmo next.

go ahead someone say something. I’m secure in my manhood. I’ll drink a cosmo. I’ll order one out even. Lol

Its a cool idea. Man we r getting so lazy as humans. Lol

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
So I’m doing a test fire for 200 degrees and 2 levels of cooking. Indirect heat thing is in egg and the 2 level grate system.

map my grate temp is different than some temp. If my recipe says 200 degrees and the grates r hotter what should I go by? Or am I splitting hairs.
Top grate is 225 ish and bottom grate is 219 ish and dome is 200.
I’m not rotating food. We r talking 4-6 degree diff.
But what temp should I go by for cooking?

grate or dome? Causethere is a difference?
View attachment 149663View attachment 149664
Use the grate probes for true temp, but 225 or 250 will effect how long it takes, but not the results. On mine I get the dome thermometer to 250, open a beer, and relax! It'll turn out great no matter what temp you go at

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.