Official 2018 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Lol. So that’s why my grandfather always lit me sip his wine. Lol

i come from an all Italian home. My dad is northern and my mom is southern Italian. So my wife now knows 2 diff sauces but my dads mom’s sauce is exactly like u said. They would use pork shoulder at times too if money was tighter and then not usexthe short ribs. My mom would do the same. My wife does also. I always try to push for the beef. :) but always chicken steak cause it was cheap, sausage cause they made it, and meatballs.

its funny how diff the 2 sauces are which makes it nice for us cause if we r not in the mood for 1 my mom or wife will make the other. My northern side it was the above with basil for seasoning while my southern side it was mint. Sicilians use a ton of mint I guess cause it grows everywhere my grandmother would say so the taste of her sauce and meatballs was totally different. It’s nice to have 2 totally diff recipes. Only reason we know my northern side is when my dad married my mom he wanted his mom’s sauce vs her mom’s sauce so my mom learned her mother in-laws too so now we have both in the family. My wife was taught both from my mom. So I like my father get the best of both worlds. :)

Can you download this file (it's a PDF) -
Short Ribs

The recipe is from a book I got and it's supposed to work with a multi-cooker appliance like an Instant Pot or Ninja Chef. I don't have one so I just use a heavy, cast iron Dutch oven that I have with a lid. Once you get it all prepped on the stove top, I put it in a 350F oven for 30 min and then drop the temp to 250F and leave it in there for 2 hours longer (or however long it takes for the meat to get fork tender). I also don't use leeks but prefer to use a shallot in it's place (shallots are way more flavorful than leeks) and I use a drained can of diced tomatoes in place of tomato paste. By not using paste, the cooking liquid is thinner and I drain it off and turn it into gravy when the meat is done and resting. I also use beef stock instead of water.

The recipe says to fill the pot up with liquid to at least half way up the ribs but that's too much liquid in my opinion and will simply create a boiled mess of meat. Better to use the beer to deglaze the veggies in the pot then add just enough stock to cover the veggies. The ribs sit on top of the veggies and will cook from the heat and steam inside the Dutch oven, no need for excessive amounts of boiling liquid. Simply check the pot every 30mins or so and top off the liquid as needed with pre-warmed stock.

If you have an Instant Pot or other multi cooker and want to give their process a try, by all means do so. I simply varied it for what I had on hand. The veggies, by then end, are all mush so they're not really useful unless you like to sneak some of them to taste. If you have a good strainer and fat separating measuring cup (I use mine all the time), then you can use cheese cloth in a strainer to really mash all of the juices out of the veggies and let that plus the remaining cooking liquid settle in the separating cup. You can then use the liquid (without the fat) to make a gravy by simply heating the drippings up in a pot (add some extra stock if you need more gravy) and, once boiling, reduce it a little (maybe let the volume boil down by 1/3rd) and then whisk in 1 tablespoon of corn starch dissolve in 2 tablespoons of red wine or port. The liquid will thicken right up and make an amazing gravy.

This is definitely a sticks-to-your-ribs winter meal.....

PS - Potatoes are just your run-of-the-mill, oven roasted potatoes...season and cook them however you like. Mashed potatoes are a great substitute if you have the time as you can pop the rib down on a pile of mashed potato and cover it in thick gravy....super-YUM!!

matt,

i can't pull this doc to look at it? says invalid. if you get a chance can u repost it?

matt,

i can't pull this doc to look at it? says invalid. if you get a chance can u repost it?

Can you take a look at Matt’s post again. As I was running some updates I messed up and deleted many attachments in this thread. I’m in the process now of restoring them. Matt’s attachment should now be working.

The link works for me Lee in your posts. Thanks for fixing it.

@jimim - post some pics when you’re done, would love to see the results :chef:

The link works for me Lee in your posts. Thanks for fixing it.

@jimim - post some pics when you’re done, would love to see the results :chef:

over on other thread! Was good with the Guinness. Totally different taste vs using red wine. Way way richer meal, but really really good. thanks for posting it up and then the recipe. It made for a great meal on a cold day! And it got me homemade pasta from my wife! Win win!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.