Official 2023 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Ok I’m experimenting. My buddy got a buck last day and didn’t want any of the meat so he gave me 10 lbs so I didn’t have to go into my stash. I’m going to try and make jerky on my pellet smoker. I don’t know if I’m going to be able to get low enough. My buddy does his at 135-145 in his cinder block building. Best jerky I have ever had. So he has me brining for 5 days. Then 1-2 days of drying out then to smoked on low as possible. I think I’m stuck at 180 for low. I’m only doing 5 lbs for now. If it’s good I’ll do other 5 after holiday and then during flint lock we will grab a doe and make a ton of it for fishing season.

Brine is his recipe from his uncle who is 90 plus now. He has been doing it with him since he was a kid.

View attachment 544695View attachment 544696

Does the brine have curing salt in it? I wouldn't do a low temperature dehydration at 135-145F without curing. You would want to deyhrate at 160-180F. Any longer than 4 hours without cure at low temperatures risk food poisoning. It'll probably take 10 hours at 140F.

I have used my pellet grill once for jerky. It took too long to dehydrate which meant too much smoke. I much prefer using my dehydrator set at 165F.

What's in the brine?

Does the brine have curing salt in it? I wouldn't do a low temperature dehydration at 135-145F without curing. You would want to deyhrate at 160-180F. Any longer than 4 hours without cure at low temperatures risk food poisoning. It'll probably take 10 hours at 140F.

I have used my pellet grill once for jerky. It took too long to dehydrate which meant too much smoke. I much prefer using my dehydrator set at 165F.

What's in the brine?
No curing salt. I’m going to smoke it at 180. I was figuring it should take 6 hours?

Brine is kosher salt, beef broth, soy, tery, water, brown sugar with a bunch of different spices.

I bought curing salt today. Should I add it u think?

Last edited:
Party was a success and the food spread was a hit! My wife did most of the cooking, but I did the steaks (reverse sear) and the smoked salmon. I added orange zest to the brown sugar, salt and pepper brine and made a honey/maple syrup glaze. Turned out great!
76452DF6-1506-4AE2-A462-4D5415F542C120231216_182539.jpeg

I’m going to rack my venison jerky tonight to dry out on racks in fridge till Friday and then smoke it Friday morning. I’m going to hold 180 to be safe. And I added the curing salt the other day to be safe. I don’t think I’ll have an issue being my buddy has been doing his this way for ever and never had an issue. Hopefully it comes out good.IMG_1401.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude and jark87

What's in the brine?
Isn’t the curing salt for shelf life anyway?

It’s not cold here - temp in the mid-60s - but chili is a tradition around our house this time of year. It used to be because it was a relatively easy cook that could simmer all day and fill the house with a wonderful aroma. Kids are grown but my wife and I still enjoy it, so we made up a batch of Chili Colorado. The homemade sauce was a bit spicy, so I cooled mine off with a little more sour cream than usual.

1703283472532.jpeg

dried the jerky out too much. I don't have the feel for it yet. I should have taken it off when I thought but I kept it on. 1 hr too long. I know what to do next time so I guess I got to try again. my buddy said it's going to take me some time to get feel for it. oh well. no big deal just my time. lots of deer to be had out there. flint lock season is after xmas or I go steal some from one of my buddy's fridge. I'm out of roasts.

Im very upset I ruined that batch of jerky. I hate wasting wild game. We are so careful when we harvest fish for the freezer, mostly catching and releasing anymore even since I go deep sea fishing more often now.

I’m going to buy a London broil today and do a quick marinade over night and try again while I cook tomorrow.

I really wanted to have some for when we were hanging out over next few days.

Reactions: jark87 and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Party was a success and the food spread was a hit! My wife did most of the cooking, but I did the steaks (reverse sear) and the smoked salmon. I added orange zest to the brown sugar, salt and pepper brine and made a honey/maple syrup glaze. Turned out great!
View attachment 544967
Dang looks like my house :cheers:

Reactions: jark87
The power is a large griddle trust me when I say this is not large enough. I still have 4 more lbs of bacon to cook with 4 lbs of sausage and eggs cooked anyway. Merry Christmas to all and your families :cheers:
IMG_5410.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude
We had a gorgeous day today - mid-60s and blue skies forever! Decided to cook up some steaks - 8 oz prime filets. Dry brined for about 5 hours. (I usually dry brine overnight, but didn’t decide on steaks until late morning.) Seasoned with Big Bad Beef Rub, which is a homemade concoction using a recipe from Meathead on AmazingRibs.com. Slow smoked at 220° until IT hit ~130° - about an hour. Rested them for 10 minutes and seared over 800°+ IR burner, 1 minute per side. Served with kale salad. Enjoyed a High West Rendezvous Blended Rye while cooking. Wonderful dinner!

1703982531358.jpeg

1703982558498.jpeg

We had a gorgeous day today - mid-60s and blue skies forever! Decided to cook up some steaks - 8 oz prime filets. Dry brined for about 5 hours. (I usually dry brine overnight, but didn’t decide on steaks until late morning.) Seasoned with Big Bad Beef Rub, which is a homemade concoction using a recipe from Meathead on AmazingRibs.com. Slow smoked at 220° until IT hit ~130° - about an hour. Rested them for 10 minutes and seared over 800°+ IR burner, 1 minute per side. Served with kale salad. Enjoyed a High West Rendezvous Blended Rye while cooking. Wonderful dinner!

View attachment 547712

View attachment 547715
Steak on point!

Kale? Really? Why? lol

I actually make a Christmas soup each year with kale

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.