New pool owner, New to TFP, & Not a chemical engineer. Yellow algae w/ Permasalt system

Claremelinda

Jul 21, 2023
Hinckley, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi! I am a about a month into a new above ground pool. We were sold a Permasalt system which is easy enough, however, initially our filter was hooked up incorrectly and I believe that may have led to the introduction to what I am identifying online as yellow algae into the pool. I am brushing 1-2x weekly and vacuuming at least 2-4 times as this is persistent. I am not sure what I can do using the permasalt system? Oh, I don't want to forget to mention the presence of a bug that swims around in the pool, (also identified online as a backswimmer) that apparently feeds on algae. :oops: I've only seen one so far but geeze, I don't want to share my pool with the likes of that! and where there is one, I am sure more to follow..... WHAT DO I DO?
Also, Permasalt seems rather proprietary with their chemicals and wondered if their are alternatives to that expense? I think I would classify this as an ionizing system ? If anyone knows I sure would appreciate any guidance. Thank you - ClareMelinda:eek:

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

The best recommendation I can give is to read through our pool school here and decide whether or not you'd like to adopt Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC). The system is based on using only chemicals and methods that can be home-tested and which are based on time-tested and effective science and principles, and which do not cause problems in the long term - hence 'trouble-free'

Here's a past thread which has most of the advice and links you'll need. Perma salt system question

Pool school is quite thorough and any not yet linked can be found there.

The size of your pool is a significant factor. You can add that to a "signature" which is very helpful for members here providing answers. Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Reactions: Newdude
Thank you. My husband and I are thinking of switching over to a chlorine system (TFP) and investigating if this is even possible? - as there is salt and copper in pool for the permasalt system. We wondered if we should just finish out the season (about 6 more weeks here) and start next season. The TFP does not have a lot about permasalt that is positive. I find the lack of support even from our where we bought it , to calling permasalt direct is awful. I can not find helpful information other than the recommendation to switch over to salt water or chlorine. Very frustrating.

I can not find helpful information other than the recommendation to switch over to salt water or chlorine.
That is the most helpful info you can find. (y)

Mineral systems are all magic and no rabbit. Except the magic causes staining and makes you drain the pool. There is nothing they can do to support you.

Your pool is either high in metals, or it isn't. There's no adjusting of the levels, like with chlorine which changes on the daily as it's burned off.

There is no 'switching' to chlorine. You just unplug the permasalt and start using bleach. (Liquid chlorine though. Bleach is weak and has harmful additives).

There is a 'switching' to a salt system as it has a power supply and cell that need installing.

The perma salt system is a copper ionizer that masquerades as a salt system.
It boasts that you can maintain low levels of fc (with no regard for cya)
FC/CYA Levels so long as you use the clarifiers, algaecides, mps, & dichlor etc that they sell you. This is to try & give you clear water. Clear water doesn’t = sanitary.
Clear & sanitary water can be accomplished by simply using adequate amounts of chlorine. No need for all that other stuff.
If you’re only a month in then hopefully your copper level is still very low & won’t cause any problems with staining.
The salt is fine- all chlorine pools have salt in them.
My advice is to remove the system completely & to only add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine to your pool each day slowly infront of a running return to keep things from getting worse until you get your test kit in (taylor k2006c or tf100/pro)
& can do a full set of tests & prepare for the SLAM Process.
PoolMath will help you calculate amounts.
When your kit comes, do all the tests & post them here.

That is the most helpful info you can find. (y)

Mineral systems are all magic and no rabbit. Except the magic causes staining and makes you drain the pool. There is nothing they can do to support you.

Your pool is either high in metals, or it isn't. There's no adjusting of the levels, like with chlorine which changes on the daily as it's burned off.

There is no 'switching' to chlorine. You just unplug the permasalt and start using bleach. (Liquid chlorine though. Bleach is weak and has harmful additives).

There is a 'switching' to a salt system as it has a power supply and cell that need installing.
Thank you. We made the switch but are in a constant algae battle. So discouraged but atleast i can find more support....

You're probably deciding what will be easiest and least costly. That is - just solve this for me.

How can the pool man and the pool store and the booklet I got with the pool all be wrong, plus my auntie and best friend (or whoever).

How could the internet pajama people at troublefreepool be right? Why must I read all this stuff rather than just doing what paid "experts" say?

I hope you make the right choice because it's the cheapest and easiest way long term, by far. Using minimal chemicals and only when justified by science and facts is not in the interest of many swimming pool chemicals and gadgets sellers. They want maximum green, both in the pool and the $ from you.

Hi, my name is Kelly and I am not a chemical engineer. The only thing I can concoct with any success is a cocktail.

This method is easy to learn - just start with the basics and a good test kit.

Test Kits Compared

You have the advice above about doing a SLAM, and rest assured when your water is clear and algae is gone, the backswimmers will be gone too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.