New Pool Owner - may add NG heater

Jan 2, 2018
Fairhope, AL
First post - Located in southern AL near the Gulf. We are finishing up the install now on a 506 sqft freeform gunite pool, 4ft to 6ft depth (approx. 20k gallons), 2 sheer descents, SWG using Pentair VFD pump, Sand Filter, and EasyTouch controller.

The remaining landscaping has been going well to the point we have some money left in the budget and we are thinking about adding a natural gas heater to help out in the spring and fall before we close out the final payment with the contractor (Southern Poolscapes - great so far).

Doing the math, I should need about 100k BTU to maintain a 20F rise above ambient air temps, and about 150k BTU if I wanted to bring the water temp up approx. 20F per day of operation.

Reading here, I understand there are issues with the circuitry on the Hayward units. However there is one locally that is a 250k BTU unit that is basically a open box unit that has zero use and never water in the heat exchanger. I can get it for less than half price, so I'm tempted, even though I know the shortcomings with them and it would have zero warranty. From what I've read, the warranty on a Hayward isn't much to worry about anyway since getting them to own up to issues can be a problem. I'm an engineer and mechanically inclined so working on one myself won't be a problem, but I don't want a headache either. Was thinking about the Hayward but undecided at this point.

My other option is to go with a new Pentair or Raypak and spend about $1000 more, but they would be new and come with the warranty.

Looking for some opinions on this one as $1k savings up front on the larger unit makes it tempting, but not sure if it would be worth the risk and hassle...

Another option on this would be to use solar to supplement the heater and go with a smaller unit.

No matter which option we choose, we will use some type of pool blanket to keep evaporation to a minimum along with heating costs.

As long as you are aware that you might need to replace it down the road in say 18-24 months, then go for it. Heck you might be one of the lucky ones and get more than 2 years. It's a roll of the dice. I just replaced one this morning that was a little over 2 years old so they did get some use out of it. I replaced it with a Raypak/Rheem unit.

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 250K/266K BTU unit. The cost difference shouldn't be that much between the smaller BTU units and these. It is well worth the investment. Also, the bigger the unit, the less stress it would be to heat the water as it won't run as long.

Thanks. Replacement in 2 years doesn't sound appealing at all. The price is under $1k for the unit, but no guarantees or warranty so definitely a risk because of the Hayward issues I've read about.

Since we really wouldn't use the pool when less than about 75F outside, thinking more and more about solar with a small NG heater to supplement/boost as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.