New Pool Need Guidance with chemicals

OK -- so decision time. This can be a place for the use of QUALITY clarifier. You will have to clean your cartridge filters once or twice soon after you use it. Get SeaKlear Chitosan Clarifier. Use it as prescribed to clear your pool. DO NOT use it on a regular basis or it will plug up the filters.
WARNING - if you use this product with algae in the water, you will create a mess. So be absolutely sure you have completed all aspects of a SLAM except a continuous problem with cloudy water.

OK -- so decision time. This can be a place for the use of QUALITY clarifier. You will have to clean your cartridge filters once or twice soon after you use it. Get SeaKlear Chitosan Clarifier. Use it as prescribed to clear your pool. DO NOT use it on a regular basis or it will plug up the filters.
WARNING - if you use this product with algae in the water, you will create a mess. So be absolutely sure you have completed all aspects of a SLAM except a continuous problem with cloudy water.
i am in no rush i will wait few more days and decide thanks . no one is using the pool for atleast few more weeks.

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
i am in no rush i will wait few more days and decide
Perfect !!! The worse thing you can ever do is exactly what the pool store preaches. Panic and dump a bunch of stuff in hoping for a miracle. It did not happen overnight and it cannot be fixed that way either.

And another perfect example of the pool store playbook is the clarifier. If not used with extreme caution and rarity, it will maybe clear your water while toasting your filter. Which, I’m sure they’d be happy to sell you new cartridges for. :)

Reactions: SunnyP2000
so i was thinking, can having lot of air in the filter effect they way filter works? before my air bubble issue was fixed my filter will be filled with air. if i were to release air from valve it will take good amount of time before water will come out and ofcourse it will go right back to filling up with air. after it was fixed no air in filter and it almost seems like after it was fixed the water is getting better.

@Newdude , @mknauss I am happy to report pool looking much better and thats without any Clarifier . I think my issues was extreme amount of air getting info filter. Once that issue was fixed by PB (air coming in from 3 way valve) water has been lot better. i am letting FC to drop for last to days and going back to normal level. I do have few questions.

1. Now that i am on track should I raise my CYA ? Its at 50.
2. I want to run pump at low speed 24/7 but i feel like it barely skims . I do have two main drain and two skimmers and 3 way valve . i was thinking of cutting off the main drain adn moving to skimming only or i can leave the valve open just little for main drain. either way i feel like i need to run at higher speed to really skim.
3. i would like to add borates at some point. When will be right time to add ?

Thanks for all the Guidance,
Sunny

Reactions: Newdude
Good job!
In your climate you can try 50 ppm CYA. See if your FC loss stays reasonable.
Close off your main drain. If that helps the skimming, then just barely open the main drain valve only to the point it does not effect your skimming.
Borates are up to you. Why exactly do you want to add them?

Good job!
Close off your main drain. If that helps the skimming, then just barely open the main drain valve only to the point it does not effect your skimming.
not sure why i want to add them . I read a lot about them thought might make sense but the more i think about it i think i should focus on getting used to everything first. I'll hold up.

Reactions: mknauss
Good job!
Hello Marty so i am getting the hang of everything but after testing CYA few times I have confirmed its at 40 should i raise it ? PoolMath suggest 60-90 i am losing about roughly 2ppm of FC everyday. Pool math also suggest my FC range should be between 2 and 7 right now mine is hovering around 8.5 as i figure out how much to run my swg, do you think its ok to be around the higher side and keep it around 7-8 ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can add 10 ppm of CYA at your leisure. Maintaining a little cushion in FC is fine. Does not harm anything.

By July 1 I would think getting your CYA to 60 or so would also be a good idea.

Reactions: SunnyP2000
So i am just getting used to all this i was trying to raise PH to 7.5 got distracted ended up putting muriatic acid with lowered to 6.8 . so what should i do next ? get some soda ash or borax and raise it ASAP?

You haven't tested TA in a week. And added acid twice. What is your TA? If at 50 or below, add baking soda to get to 70 ppm.

You haven't tested TA in a week. And added acid twice. What is your TA? If at 50 or below, add baking soda to get to 70 ppm.
i can test TA now but pump has been off for about 2 hrs. last i checked it was at 70 i think that was exactly 7 days ago. i was going to do full test tomorrow. should i test for TA now?

It can wait until tomorrow.
Every time you add acid, the TA is lowered. TA is added by adding fill water with TA.

It can wait until tomorrow.
Every time you add acid, the TA is lowered. TA is added by adding fill water with TA.
thank you so i shouldn't add anything tonight? Do i need aerate maybe? of course i will do full test first thing tomorrow morning and report back

GM Marty here are my results:

FC = 7.5
CC = 0
PH = 7.2
TA = 40
CH = 50
TEMP = 71

I didn't check CYA as i was in middle of raising my CYA to 50 FROM 40 . i have a sock method going right now. I do have small gathering with 4 kids that will be using the pool later. I am thinking that and I'll turn on waterfall that should raise up my PH but i should put in Baking Soda for TA. what you think? do i still raise up PH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.