New Pool Need Guidance with chemicals

Up to you. If it was me I would like to know if the cloudiness you see is particulates or not.

@mknauss , @Newdude
wanted to give you guys update . so Saturday night i didn't run the pump and next morning water water looked ok. i brushed walls and floor i didnt see anything floating around. i am still keeping it at FC 20 and running the pump non stop. today the looked at water all different times and water looks little cloudy in sunlight but in evening its clear . does that makes sense? BTW i did another CYA test on nice sunny day and its 50.

Have you passed two OCLT in a row yet?
Have you passed two OCLT in a row yet?
So checked this morning and I have loss of .5 . I am not sure if that’s really considered a loss . It did drizzle for few min . Here what the pool looks like. Since it’s cloudy day pool looks clear. Like I said when sun hit the deep end it looks cloudy and that’s where I am confused , not sure that’s how it suppose to be when sun hits it.

Attachments

• E077DC42-7346-46D0-ABF1-586A8F5CDEF1.jpeg
    E077DC42-7346-46D0-ABF1-586A8F5CDEF1.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 19
  • F690305B-A3AD-4A05-9D63-97FD301BDF8B.jpeg
    F690305B-A3AD-4A05-9D63-97FD301BDF8B.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 19
If you are not getting any build up of debris over night with the pump off and the OCLT passes (what you showed up is a pass), you are complete. Hard to say what you are seeing. Monitor FC loss and water condition going forward.

Reactions: Newdude
If you are not getting any build up of debris over night with the pump off and the OCLT passes (what you showed up is a pass), you are complete. Hard to say what you are seeing. Monitor FC loss and water condition going forward.
Few things i am really confused about:
1. every time i add CL as per PoolMath for instance it was at 17.5 and i wanted to raise to 20 PoolMath suggested 58oz to reach 20. After adding and circulating for about an hr I retested and my FC was at 22. is that normal ? this happened before as well i am always higher than the my goal .

2 . so last night i did another OCLT i was at 22 and this morning i was at 19.5 . pump ran all night about 75%. i am not sure why the loss.

3. During day time on nice sunny day i am losing about 4 - 5 ppm on FC. Our outdoor temp has been in the 60's hasnt even gotten that hot yet . do i need to add more CYA? BTW still mainting teh SLAM level and keeping the pump running 24hrs at about 75 - 85 %.

sorry for too many question just trying to get a good understanding of my Pool needs.

With that overnight loss, you still have something in that pool system. Check light niches, skimmer throats, weir doors, ladders, etc. Sounds like you need to stay at SLAM level FC.

The higher FC tested could be that your pool volume is off. Or simply a small testing error. Or a combination.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With that overnight loss, you still have something in that pool system. Check light niches, skimmer throats, weir doors, ladders, etc. Sounds like you need to stay at SLAM level FC.

The higher FC tested could be that your pool volume is off. Or simply a small testing error. Or a combination.
do i need to take the light out ?

What kind of light do you have? Is it large with a ring around it? If small, it is most likely nicheless, which will not add to your issues.

1 large light with niche.
OK -- so there should be a single screw at the top of the fixture. Remove the screw (don't drop it!) and lower the ring around the light. The light fixture should have enough cord to pull out and up to the deck. Then clean the inside of the niche.

OK -- so there should be a single screw at the top of the fixture. Remove the screw (don't drop it!) and lower the ring around the light. The light fixture should have enough cord to pull out and up to the deck. Then clean the inside of the nich
OK -- so there should be a single screw at the top of the fixture. Remove the screw (don't drop it!) and lower the ring around the light. The light fixture should have enough cord to pull out and up to the deck. Then clean the inside of the niche.
Ok Its going to be little challenging i would have to get in this 56 shehree water to remove it since I have the waterfall wall on top.

Attachments

• 86E5259A-2715-43F4-90DF-6A08F19D6E96.jpeg
    86E5259A-2715-43F4-90DF-6A08F19D6E96.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 22
That looks like a nicheless light to me. Do you have the documentation on it?
link its hayward lpcus 11100 i am pretty sure its not nicheless. attached is the picture of niche before the light went in.

Attachments

• IMG_6281.JPG
    IMG_6281.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Ahh -- great you had a picture. I did not see a screw at the top of the ring that holds the light in. Your signature shows Hayward Color Logic lights - which are nicheless.

That could be your culprit.

Ahh -- great you had a picture. I did not see a screw at the top of the ring that holds the light in. Your signature shows Hayward Color Logic lights - which are nicheless.

thanks i'll see if i can get it opened somehow in the next day or so for now i'll stick with SLAM and test OCLT.

ok it was a mission but i was able to get to the light open it up scrub with sponge and everything was clean . all that came out was some dirt. At this point i have checked the light, skimmers and main drain i don't see any sign of live or dead algae. i think the water is clear as it could be. i think i just need to pass the OCLT test and i should be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.