New pool build - Owner-builder

I think Aqua White is a little on the lighter side. If you like darker, maybe consider Aqua Blue, Tahoe Blue, or Tropics Blue. Not sure on the darker colors being warmer. It would make sense though.
That was our thought too that the the Aqua white is too on the lighter side, unless you add a touch of jewels with blue or black in them. The NPT reps were even suggesting having the plaster Co hand sprinkle instead of mixing in the plaster.

I have noticed that water that accumulated in the pool just sits there until it evaporates but in the spa it disappears really fast.
I know the shotcrete isn't waterproof but is there something I should do before plaster to make sure the shotcrete is more resistant to leaking?

I have noticed that water that accumulated in the pool just sits there until it evaporates but in the spa it disappears really fast.
I know the shotcrete isn't waterproof but is there something I should do before plaster to make sure the shotcrete is more resistant to leaking?
Most likely they used rebound on your spa floor which may have created some voids that penetrate to the dirt level, hence not holding water. Once the plaster goes in, it should seal off those voids if I'm not mistaken...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not 100% sure they did use rebound but it was mentioned above. The thought was that it was used in the spa.
I used a company out of OC called Dynamic Shotcrete.
I'm very familiar and have had good and bad experiences with them.

Rebound is not ideal and its use goes against best practices but it isn't nearly as big of an issue as it is with dry mix gunite. I bet 95%+ of the pools in Southern California were built in the same fashion that yours was and they are structurally sound.

Reactions: chemillion
The waterline tile should be waterproofed no matter what and I highly recommend a material like Basecrete for the entire pool.

Oh man! More to think about and so many more questions now!! And I thought I was almost done!!

In terms of waterproofing tile line - We had them silicone the joint between coping and tile - Are you talking about another type of waterproofing for tile?

Basecrete looks like they have a few products that might be applicable - There is the Basecrete and Basecrete plus. Which would you recommend?

Would basecrete change the application of plaster at all? Should the plaster guys do this work?

Thanks!

Reactions: chemillion
BaseCrete for the entire pool?? Is this an industry standard practice? My initial thought was/should be for waterline and wet tile areas. Plaster would act as a water sealant for the rest of the pool surfaces?
I used shotcrete for my new construction pool and at the point of applying pebble plaster. @MyAZPool what are your thoughts on this? @John_and_Val did you apply a waterproofing like Basecrete? Would plaster applicators/companies turn away if a waterproofing like Basecrete was applied or asked of them to apply prior to applying the pebble plaster?

Here's another tread I found on pool shell waterproofing:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.