New build looking for advice on equipment

mattvan

Oct 13, 2020
California
Hey everyone, in the process of building a 40x16 pool, with built-in hot-tub and shelf. We are in northern california with a lot of tree cover, so will have an automatic cover over the pool and have it closed at all times when not in use. This is my second pool, we built a pool in our old house and had all equipment which I was not a fan of. So instead of jumping on whatever the builder suggests this time I'm coming here to ask for some advice.

here is what the contractor is suggesting:

2x Pentair Initelliflo VS 3HP pumps, 1 for pool/spa, other for spa & bubblers
1x Pentair Intelliflo 2.7HP waterfall pump
1.5 HP blower for spa jets (brand not specified)
Jandy JXI 400k btu heater with Versaflow Bypass
Jandy Clean and Clear plus 420 cartridge filter
Jandy iAqualink Pool/Spa control
Bootstrite sweep booster pump
Polaris 380 sweep
Jandy LED lights
AutoFill pool water
Auto Tablet Chlorinator

One thing that immediately jumps out at me is the mix of Pentair and Jandy equipment, is this advisable? Also, using Jandy for automation, is that a problem with Pentair pumps?

For sanitation, In-line chlorinator sounds OK, but wondering if I need to do UV as well since the pool cover will remain closed 99% of the time? Also, wondering if I should explore SWG, but assumed that would cause issues with the built-in automatic cover.

I've heard good things about cleaning robots, should we look at those versus the Polaris, or is a supplement to the standard sweeper.

Any other critiques on the equipment or suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP :)

It is probably all Pentair equipment as most builders stay with 1 or the other but it looks like this one uses both Jandy and Pentair... The clean and clear filter 420 is Pentair and a great filter (I have the 320) not Jandy...

The new control center for Pentair is Intellicenter and most go with it, also you can get a salt water controller with the kit and we strongly suggest going salt water chlorine generator as it is easy and works GREAT... IntelliCenter® Control System

Go robot and ditch the 30 year old tech and the extra pump..

Go SWG and no need for UV... just open up your pool once a week or so and you will get free UV and let the pool breath for a couple hours... The chlorinator is also old tech as you will need to run the pump at a higher level for it to work.. If your SWG stops working for that week you can put a floater in the pool or add liquid chlorine once a day until you get the SWG fixed...

Pentair lights do not seem to last along with the other major manufactures, they barely make it through the warranty before they are dead... These new 12v lights work the same, are completely incased in epoxy resin and the new 1.5 inch nichless lights that are 12v and 6 inches wide and hundreds of dollars cheaper, you can get 3 of these for the price of 1 Pentair light... call the manufacturer or you can have the contractor install them...

I hope this helps :)

Thanks for the response.

In regards to the lights, do you not need to use the same brand of lights as the controller? I assumed that for colors to work, you would need to have the brand that you use for automation.

Also, with the IntelliCenter, how is the app and web experiences? I saw a demo of the Hayward OmniLogic app, and it looked great as you can have programable pre-sets, is this possible on IntelliCenter as well? The link provided didn't have much details, besides offering app access.

Glad to hear confirmation on killing the sweeper and going with a robot. Where can I learn more about robot options and reviews? How do people deal with the robots, do they keep them in the pool on timers, or throw them in every few days/week for a clean?

What do you mean by programmable presets? Below is discussion about programming on IntelliCenter. Also the newer OmniPL is probably a better choice than the older OmniLogic if you're looking at Hayward automation.

Thanks for the response.

In regards to the lights, do you not need to use the same brand of lights as the controller? I assumed that for colors to work, you would need to have the brand that you use for automation.

Also, with the IntelliCenter, how is the app and web experiences? I saw a demo of the Hayward OmniLogic app, and it looked great as you can have programable pre-sets, is this possible on IntelliCenter as well? The link provided didn't have much details, besides offering app access.

Glad to hear confirmation on killing the sweeper and going with a robot. Where can I learn more about robot options and reviews? How do people deal with the robots, do they keep them in the pool on timers, or throw them in every few days/week for a clean?

to control them in the app you will need to use Pentair lights and there are no issues with that other than them dying right around a year or 2, some do get lucky and they last longer... The other lights would be controlled by turning them on and off till you get to the color or show you want then keep them on..

Here is a manual for the intellecenter QRG :)
https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...tellicenter/IntelliCenter_Quick_Ref_Guide.pdf

Pentair Microbrite 1.5” niche less lights seem like the best bet now and give you the best options to use other lights in the future. CMP had lights compatible with the Pentair system as an alternative...

You can read Pentair LED Pool Lights - Further Reading for more about the different Pentair LED lights.

Reactions: cowboycasey
They Hayward automation does look better in terms of UI and features, probably because it's newer?

I think I'm sold on the Pentair VS pumps, as I've heard great things about reliability, Hayward mentions this on compatbility:
"Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pumps Support - Ability to control Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps with Pump Converter accessory board (HLPMPCONV)"

Has anyone done this? Does it support proper variable speed, or force it to fixed speeds? Seems like people really prefer to stay with a vertical brand for all equipment, so is it foolish to go with Hayward automation and pentair pumps?

Also, any direct comparisons between Hayward and Pentair pumps in terms of reliability, noise, and performance?

What do you mean by programmable presets? Below is discussion about programming on IntelliCenter. Also the newer OmniPL is probably a better choice than the older OmniLogic if you're looking at Hayward automation.

I guess I should call them scenes. Basically want ways to have preset pump/blower/light settings and activate them with a single click. So for example, water-falls on at 80%, lights on blue, bubblers on as a single button.

Take a look at the video in the thread below and ask a question there as MyAZPool is our resident IntelliCenter guru.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.