New Build in NE FL

No, I think I would have noticed those types of things when my tile came in. Isn't the tape side fairly sticky? Can you peel up random ones to check - especially on sets with defects you can see? I think the chipped corners (if not too many) will be hidden by the grout. If the scratches are only on the thinset side, I don't believe they will show. I'm so disappointed in LS. They impressed me so much during my process with them. They've gotten too big, or family issues have gotten in the way. Something is very different.

I agree with you - once the tile is all up, the big picture will be gorgeous! I have a few cracks in some tiles on my spa spillway, but I don't think anyone else has seen them.

Suz

Suz's pool is a work of art- if you haven't seen it you really need to check out her build thread! It's my dream pool.

My tile does have have scratches on the other side (smooth ones) but we have our tile on our spa spillway which runs continuously and as marker tile which is continuously under water, so you can't see the scratches.

Suz, Brian was very good at the beginning... It was just when it was time for my stuff to ship and then it didn't and he never bothered to tell me there was a delay and then I called 2 times and emailed and over a week before any communication back. And then David emails me after I point out that their website states how important the customers experience and relationship is and that mine has not been good and even though we are getting left over "special order" tile that it wasn't what I ordered and he told me in more words that I need to be thankful that I am getting what I got and they weren't budging. Oh and I didnt need extra tile bc they don't have an issue with damage or breakage... HA!

Nini, my hopes are the other side doesn't have them either and hopefully it is all hidden. The "93" I cannot get off without fear of scratching it further so will leave that for last.

I know I am thankful I got something very close to what I ordered and it actually is more beautiful I think than the 2x2 but it is more the way things were handled. David had an opportunity to look like he was the magic manager and sell me on the new tile and how much I was really getting as a deal instead of basically telling me to suck it up and like it. But it is what it is and in the big picture, it will look amazing.

Oh boy, I would have been furious with that type of response! I'm so sorry that happened to you. You're doing a good job moving on!

I'm sure curious what the 93 means! Some sort of count, I guess. If you want, you could use a little hairspray to try to take it off. Before I went back to look at it again, I thought it was magic marker. It looks like white-out which would be better - sitting on top of the glass rather than soaking in.

Looking forward to your next pictures!

Love seeing progress on the pool! Today the tile guys mortared everything and got the little frames up for setting the tile. I came home from a Dr appt and they called me over to show how they set up the tile and made sure the blue edges on the ceramic tiles were going to be touching the glass tile accents like I asked. Looking at the pics now, I realize I was so focused on the glass tile that I forgot to ask them to match the blue edges up next to a blue edge on an adjoining tile to avoid a repetitive pattern like upper right blue corner next to another upper right blue corner. Totally my fault. Hoping it wont be too noticeable once the water is covering half of the tiles though.

Apparently the glass is a tiny bit thinner than the ceramic, which I didn't notice and I noticed the slight height difference, so they will just have to put a little more thin set behind them. He also showed me how on my accent wall they will have to cut the glass just a little bc the height of the wall was a little shorter than a full tile at the top. We also discussed the stone on the columns next to the wall. Since the blocks that are the foundation of the columns will be flush with the wall, if we just cut the stone flat, where it over jets the tile, you will see a cut edge. So we discussed taking the corner pieces and cutting the one side off so it looks like a cornered edge but lays flat. Even with the language barrier, we got it all figured out. They are super nice guys and are doing a great job. Trying to keep them happy with fresh, ice cold water and chips to snack on. :)

The pavers were also being delivered as I got home from my dr appt. While they do have more of a pink tone to them, I am hoping that will tone down if we seal them. I think these tile guys do the coping too so I am going to ask them to be mindful of placement. Like I placed 5 or 6 of the coping pieces next to each other and arranged it so the greys and other colors flowed. I don't want a piece that is all pinkish next to a piece that is mostly grey. See photo below for a visual. I had mentioned this to the PB before we got started that I wanted the pavers and all laid out with attention to the colors and not just grabbing and laying and having patches of grey or tan or whatever and not having them evenly spread out. He said that wouldn't be a problem. Heck, I will organize them how I want them laid out if needed lol.

A small issue has come up and we just needed to decide how to take care of it. Either way, no cost to us as not our fault. But the grade that was set for the beam of the pool was set for a pool that would be further away from the house so more room to drop the grade for the drainage. As it is now, the tile guys would have the float the beam up another 1.5-2 inches above where they are setting everything to get the grade to match up with existing concrete patio and veneer pavers. The other option was to bust out the concrete and lay regular size pavers and adjust the grade that way. While I would prefer not to have to deal with a busted up, dirt back patio (we use it extensively for feeding the dogs, reading, sitting, and that is how we get out to walk to the barn) I also want things done right and it will be better to adjust the deck vs building up the beam. Plus, even with 1" veneer pavers, we were going to be very close to the door trim pieces as they extend past the threshold. By removing all of the concrete on the back patio, we will have a natural step and height like the concrete currently has. I also mentioned I would prefer to bust out all of the concrete, not just the added slab from when we moved in bc it is only 8 feet and I am not sure that is enough room to grade the area as needed and not have a noticeable grade downwards. Basically I don't want it to feel or look like a noticeable ramp by only removing half of the concrete. So they are going to check it and mark what the grade needs to be and see if it is noticeable and if so, remove all of the concrete.

Whew! So some pics! I know that's what everyone is looking for. Lol

17884553_10211283302905547_6633215790380550045_n.jpg

17884507_10211283303105552_2668748204751262108_n.jpg

17904077_10211280363032052_2689257150406532432_n.jpg

This is what I meant with laying the coping out so it looks like they belong together
17883946_10211280363392061_4719084772220103460_n.jpg

You are SO on the right track with everything you are doing and thinking! I like how the crew is really working with you to fix any problems and concerns.

I totally get what you are saying about the coping and love what you have already set out. It would not hurt for you to go ahead and do that as much as possible to help them out. The time to "help" is at the end of the day when they are hot and tired. At that point they will just want to be done for the day and I don't blame them but...........they may not use as much care.

Kim:kim:

Today they are laying the glass tile. Came down and saw what the wall looked like with the ceramic pattern on the water line under the wall. I kept looking at it and just knew it would look better with all glass at water line. We had thought to do that before bc the 2x2 tiles were larger than the ceramic ones but these 1.5x1.5 ones were almost the same size so opted not to. Unfortunately it seems we should have kept that idea. So I spoke to the guys if it was possible to change it and I was so sorry and they reassured me it was not a problem. The tiles they laid today had not set up yet so came off easily and only 3 of then needed a little extra work to remove from yesterday.

They had suggested 2 lines of tiles at the steps and all. Originally we were going to do that but now that we are doing the glass waterline at the wall, I don't think we have enough to do all areas with 2 rows. So I said just do the sun shelf with 2 rows and 1 everywhere else. If there is enough to do 2 everywhere, go ahead but I doubt it. He says "oh easy just order more". I laughed! I wish it was so easy. But maybe they have more in the "warehouse" and could ship instantly??

Before
17884308_10211289094370330_4633777811087054748_n.jpg

After
17951535_10211289094610336_2546832413826399302_n.jpg

I saw the first picture and was all no, no, no!!! THEN I saw the second picture and was YES, YES, YES!!!! I am SO glad you were home to make the fix without any damage!

That stone on the spa looks awesome!! SWEET!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks!

So... I think I expressed many pages back my dislike of the poor ability of Tremron to control the color of their pavers. I never saw one "Sierra" that looked like the other. Many I saw looked very pink but others looked like the catalog and online pictures. After extensive conversations with the rep at the store, I had no choice but to roll the dice and hope the pavers that were delivered looked like the catalog and weren't pink. A few posts back I stated how they were pink and hoped it would calm down with a sealer. So today we grabbed some pavers, coping, and stone and laid them together and I also wet the pavers to get close to a sealed look. Ugh... The coping looks rusty and almost black where the grey is and it brings out even more red tones esp next to our grey stone. In the store when we had to lay out the samples, everything looked great together. Sigh... I am just not happy with the pavers but I am fairly certain once they are ordered, they are ours. They just are not the color in the store and catalog but what can you do when they make a blanket CYA about variances. Sorry but I think a variance means looks like it should but very slightly different, not 4th cousins twice removed with 5% similarity. So not sure what to do here... This is the most popular color so it isnt like they wouldn't sell them... Anyway... More thought and discussion is needed.

Now fun stuff - chatting with our tile guys has been fun! They are Brazilian and speak Portuguese which is kinda sorta like Spanish but not really. We have been doing good with the language barrier as the younger guy speaks ok English and the older guy speaks some English. But today we were discussing Brazil and languages and what not and the younger guy typed a sentence in Portuguese on his phone that translated it into English (We would like to be the company that installs your coping) as they are really wanting to install it lol and he had me read it back in Portuguese! Lol He said I do a very good job reading and pronouncing it! Lol Very nice guys though and their work is excellent. Every line and tile I have looked at is straight and even next to the others and they also did a great job lining up the colors of the tiles like I asked. I think they might cost more for the PB to do the coping which may be why they weren't told to do it but they get my need for tight and thin grout lines on the coping for pool and spa etc and also have already shown they will take the time to pay attention to the color variances in the tile like I asked. Will have to ask PB if they are really that much more expensive.

So this is a few pieces of paver with some coping and a section of stone. The coping is still wet. I am looking at pics from the store where we saw a 6' x 4' wall of the stone and that stone had browns mixed in that allowed it to go with the sierra pavers. All the stone we have is cool grey and white....

17884543_10211291477429905_8325191658646586562_n.jpg

LOVE it when someone cares about their work! That makes all of the difference!

Pink/gray-is there any way you can go down to the stone yard and pick out THE ones you want?

Yeah there is no brown in that other one. It is pretty but some brown would help pull everything together.

BUT once anyone sees the "JEWELS" in your pool they will not be able to see anything else! It will all be good!

:hug:

Tremron wont let you to their stone yard, even when I brought up their huge problem with getting the colors to look close to how they should.

I'm not seeing the browns. Not like the huge sample we saw at the store. This is what I mean with the browns...
15724964_10210368116986471_7448100969390458456_o.jpg

The guys are putting the rest of the stone on now. They have the ceramic tile up in the spa. Not the glass yet. However, for good news, I found another box of glass tile in the house that was on the floor! This means we should have enough to do 2 rows of tiles on all the steps and seats! We shall see!

PB was aware of my issue with the paver variance before we ordered and he is aware that they are pink. Given that we have to reorder over 400 sq ft of pavers bc of them having to bust out the concrete as they had ordered the 1" remodeling pavers, I am wondering what is going to happen. I also expressed concern over the fact that Tremron likely will send us more pavers that do not match the pavers that we have. So need to have a full discussion over this....

Hi, This is my first post and came across this site based on a search on Lightstream tile. I am considering the same Steel Blue gold iridescent tile and received samples. Worried because of your post about the imperfections and customer experience from Sue. Now that it's up are you pleased? What is the name of your stone? Looks beautiful.
Eliz from CA

I knew I wasn't crazy! The stone on the spa is lovely but it was not looking like what I ordered. I knew natural stone had variances but this was not right!

I grabbed a box of what was being installed and it said "Sierra Blue". We ordered "Oceana". Now we opened a box of stone when it arrived and it said "Oceana" but we couldnt get to the other boxes to read them or open them due to how the crate and pallets were packed. But we just figured they were all the same as they were ordered from the same store and delivered at the same time.

When I looked at the stone last night on the spa, it was in the shade and evening time so figured maybe I just need to see it in the sunlight. But when I went out there today, it still did not look right and there was another box of the flat stone by the porch and I went to look at it and that's when I saw it was the wrong color.

So I had the guys stop installing the stone as they had almost done half of the spa. Until we talk to the PB to figure out what is going to be swapped out (stone or pavers) we don't want any more work done on the stone.

So the "Sierra Blue" that is installed now is beautiful esp with the tile as the tile pulls the blue out of the stone. But it makes the pavers look like flesh color bc the stone is so "cool" and the pavers are "warm". I have left 2 voice mails and 1 text to PB but I know it is a holiday weekend. But also, you are a business owner and have a crew working today so you have to be able to answer calls when your crews are working.

This shows the difference... The top is what is on the spa now. The bottom is the picture from the store that we took of what we ordered.
17861734_10211298832573779_5216837035188628192_n.jpg

This has the pavers under the stone. The top stone is the color we ordered and the bottom is the wrong stone that is 3/4 of the shipment and what is on the spa. Here you can see the difference in how it does or does not go with the pavers. I personally do not like mixing colors of different temperatures.
17991250_10211298832973789_7131463431412004134_n.jpg

This is the spa now with the Blue Sierra stone on it. It is beautiful as you can see but not with the pavers. The guys have done an excellent job leveling out the spa wall and cutting the stone and laying it to fit the curve. Very, very lovely.
17952008_10211298834533828_9138963279469278628_n.jpg

**** Update ****

While trying to type this post, I heard back from the PB. He was out on a boat and couldn't hear his phone (I figured he was not able to hear the phone bc he has been great with communication so far). He said we will get this all sorted out and make sure we are happy but he wants to come out and see everything and we will figure out the best thing to do. I get it from a business aspect that yes he wants to make us happy but also not lose money but I have confidence we will be happy regardless. I told him not to worry with coming out today as it is a holiday weekend and nothing can be done and we will see him Monday and figure it out.

Also, after talking with our tile guys and seeing their work, we have come up with an idea for our fire pit. We had the PB order the stone and travertine for our fire pit and we were going to build it ourselves as we built out stone retaining wall that used to be on the patio. But now that we found more glass tile in the house and we should have some extra left over, we thought about having some used in the fire pit. Hubby (Brooksrandy81) actually came up with the design. He thought about paying our tile guys to apply the stone and travertine for the fire pit and have them cut the fire pit coping so that they could inlay a strip of the glass tile in the middle all around the top of the fire pit. Seeing these guys work, it would not be hard for them to do.

Furthermore, being as visual as I am, I had hubby place the travertine on top of the wall and spa as right now all we have is one side bull nose travertine and one side flat polished. We had originally thought to have the bullnose side on the inside of the spa and the flat side on the outside, but we had told the store we wanted the flat, unfinished side, not polished. We also wanted the raw edge for all of the wall and columns. More travertine needs to be ordered but looks like we get the chance to see the polished flat and the bull nose "in place" to make a decision.

Lastly, I had him place a cinder block in place of the columns. Originally we thought of doing 18" square columns. But I am wondering about how far the column will stick out behind the wall and if we should do a smaller column or do a rectangle column. We purchased items to make our own fire bowls that will be 21" at the top and had thought of doing a 24" square top. But if we make the columns smaller, we made need to adjust the top too....

More pictures!

This is an example of the coping for the fire pit. I had mentioned doing it on top of the spa too! Hah but the tile will be inlayed and flush with the travertine.
17862653_10211299369547203_2141275204307488342_n.jpg

Our fire pit will be a square with the base with stone measuring 40" square and 18" tall. So the glass tile will make a little square on the top, flat surface
17951802_10211299369787209_8571582245216753957_n.jpg

Bull nose for wall cap?
17904191_10211299369987214_8442401210075736838_n.jpg

Or flat? This is polished but they make a flat that is rough and natural
17903867_10211299370147218_8525478051161541352_n.jpg

This is how the coping will be on the spa with fkat, polished on the outside. We again had thought about having the natural, rough side on the outside but what was sent is this stuff but probably for the best if you have to sit down with your legs on the outside of the spa, it won't hurt.
17903477_10211299370347223_3763401765906379843_n.jpg

I had him move it to see how the bull nose would look. The spa was supposed to be poured so that a 12x24" piece of travertine would fit as the coping without a seam in the center but bc the spa walls were so wavy, the guys had to bulk up the walls so much that now they need more than one piece of travertine to go the width of the top of the spa. So figured if we have to have more ordered, we could decide to have bull nose on the outside and inside or just one side... Thoughts?
17903528_10211299370627230_2836406275642815029_n.jpg

So this piece of block is 15" wide. This is how a column 15" wide would look..
17903412_10211299371187244_9037105075473488085_n.jpg

And this is how far behind the wall a 15" deep would extend (the back of the wall will have stone on it so will add about 1-2" of depth so the wall)
17904131_10211299371547253_7325153853782301657_n.jpg

And the block with this paver is just over 18" if we did an 18" column like we originally thought
17904333_10211299371707257_3832091826497134738_n.jpg

And how 18" would look if we did 18" depth
17903918_10211299372067266_783163593357250641_n.jpg

So hope that wasnt too confusing! I have been trying to type this post for over 3 hours lol but kept getting pulled away!

Hi, This is my first post and came across this site based on a search on Lightstream tile. I am considering the same Steel Blue gold iridescent tile and received samples. Worried because of your post about the imperfections and customer experience from Sue. Now that it's up are you pleased? What is the name of your stone? Looks beautiful.
Eliz from CA

Eliz,

We dealt with Brian so I cannot speak for Sue. As we were told, Steel Blue (which is what we have) will not be available for weeks and weeks due to there being an issue with getting the raw material in to make it. We only received tiles bc they had "left over special order 1.5x1.5 steel blue tiles in the warehouse". I had read several stories of lots of issues with the customer service and delays but if you have a sample, you can see just how exquisite these tiles are. There is just nothing that I found that compared. If you don't mind the wait and issues and all, it is worth it. They have not pulled the plastic layer off yet to see how the other side looks but in the BIG picture, it will be hard to see any scratches and chipped corners. Just know you may have your entire project delayed waiting on the tiles and may be told you have to change your order to get something but in the end, if you get them, they are worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.