New Build in NE FL

whoaaaaaaa weeeeeeeee Girl! I had to take notes for this one! Here goes:

-BIG difference in colors and now we know why! They sent two different colors??? ON the same pallet?? From the same place?? WHAT was the person that packed it thinking????

Of course the one you opened was the correct color :roll: That is just what I would have done. Checked a box for the color and move on.

Good call on stopping them until things get figured out.

I agree the stone does not match the pavers. It sure does highlight the tile though! NICE!

It seems to me it would be easier to change the pavers as none of them have been installed AND you really do not care for the ones sent.........

I hope the company that sent the wrong stone has to take the hit on fixing this huge mess up!

-SWEET on finding the other box of tile!

Fire pit-AWESOME idea for the top of the fire pit! Looking at it made me smile!

Top of the spa-think comfort on the inside for sure-bullnose. You also need to make sure the top is even with the inside walls so you can lean back with ease. The outside could be the rougher if you like (I like the look of it). I don't think it will mess with your legs.

-Columns- Can they e rectangular? 18x15 with the 18 being along the pool and the 15 going back. I think the 18 would be would be too far back. I think it would look really neat with the bowls on top of it as well.

There! I think I hit it all!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

I had hoped you would follow along! That was such a scattered post with everything that happened today and how long it took to post!!

I pretty much agree with everything you said and also was thinking of a rectangle column! Just wonder about a 21",fire bowl on top?

I need to talk to PB about the spa coping bc now they need extra material to have an over hang on outside of the spa but flush to inside. I liked the bull nose inside only but now looking at it, the bull nose on outside and the columns and wall might be nice bc the stone is flat and angular so the bull nose does soften everything up ya know?

Man I was so happy to find out they sent the wrong stone bc I was going nuts saying this doesnt match!! They delivered a wooden crate and then a pallet that had plastic wrapped all over it and in the crate was the travertine, ceramic tile, and some stone. On the plastic pallet, on top was more ceramic tile and equipment and the stone was 6 layers down. So I opened the top stone that we could access in the crate and checked it. The other boxes were not able to be opened and again, it was all ordered at the same time, from the same place, and delivered at the same time. Why would we think they would mix them?? So crazy. I mean, the wrong stone is stunning but man it is making it hard to find a paver that goes.

We have just over 1500 sq ft of pavers and now PB has to bust out concrete and order more pavers so I am hoping we get new pavers. Stonehurst Sierra is the #2 most popular style and color. It isn't like they wouldn't get a new pool job that wanted that style and color soon... We shall find out Monday!

Sorry for that crazy post earlier! Lol I had to read it a few times myself to follow along.

I got a sheet of paper and went item by item.

Tomorrow will be *interesting* for sure.

I hear you on the "tones" of color not going together. I see what you say about the cool tones will not really fit in your area. It does need the warmer tones.

Column-So long as the base of the bowl sits on the top of column then I think it will look great. Do a mock up with bricks and a bowl and see what it looks like. You and I both need to see it to really know it.

Bullnose-yeah it dose soften it up. Either way will look great in the end!

Looking at these pavers... First I cannot find the 1" remodeling pavers that were supposed to be part of our order. Second, there are 1300 sq ft of pavers when we now have over 1500 sq ft of deck. So that means they have to order over 200 sq ft and if they keep any of the concrete, it means they have to order 1" pavers too. They (Tremron) told us that the order should be placed at the same time to ensure they are from the same batch and the colors match. Well clearly that isn't happening. And putting the bull nose coping next to the pavers, they dont even look like they were made at the same time as the coping has a lot of red and tan and a different looking grey. Why bother telling us to order everything together if it doesnt look like they made the coping and pavers at the same time anyway? Also, we poured water on the pavers and coping and it looks like rusty oatmeal with dark grey and almost black. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I really prayed and hoped the pavers that were sent to us would be close to the large amount of samples that we saw at different stores and homes and not pink. They are pink and coping and pavers arent even the same colors. I will say building a pool has been way more difficult than a custom home.

Additionally, we stacked cinder blocks and travertine to mimic the bowls. If we do 15", we can't do 24" top. Just looks funny. I like the smaller over hang of coping so like 1-2" on all sides. Will have to iron details out when we start mocking up the columns with pieces that are closer to the correct size.

Dry - coping and pavers don't look like the same color
17883515_10211309306315616_8423067152555210853_n.jpg

Wet - you can really see the difference between the coping and the pavers
17952784_10211309306995633_5469573893270698155_n.jpg

With the stone on all sides, this would make the column closer to 18" wide (cinder blocks are 15 3/4 and stone is around 1" so would add 2" when wrapped around both corners). Might make coping 21-22" so a little more than 1-2" over hang and then bowls are just around 21" at widest point
17952562_10211309305875605_1231116776852972108_n.jpg

At this point we are considering not using the bull nose coping and maybe just use the 6x9 pavers and do a soldier borded for coping that matches what will be along outer edge of deck? I have seen a lot of projects on here that did that and that would at least get rid of the coping that I dispise.

We also have a feeling that the incorrect stone will end up being removed and replaced. As much as we love the "wrong" stuff bc of the blue tones, we cant find pavers that would go other than all grey and white which will give the whole area a very modern look, which our house isnt. We thought about doing the silver travertine but holy moly it is expensive and then I have read a lot of not so great things about travertine as pool decking on here too. So nix the bull nose coping, swap out stone to original stone, and make current pavers work and hope and pray additional pavers that are ordered go with ones we have. Really trying not to be a huge PITA. Lol

That sounds like a good plan. Very well thought out and does not cost too much time. I would make sure the tilers know it is NOT their fault and that you LOVE their work. I would also make sure they are getting paid for doing all of the work since it was NOT their fault.

Pavers-I would not let them start working on them until the new ones get there. If they are at least in the same color range you can mix up all of them so they are all blended in over the whole patio. That way it will not stand out where the old or news ones are.

I will be on the lookout for you tomorrow. I can't wait to see what the PB has to say.

:hug:

I totally agree. PB, Tremron, and the store where we saw the samples and got everything from except the pavers (the place that messed up the stone) know about my issue with the color variances and all. I also spoke to PB before signing the contract that I expected whoever lays the pavers to spread the colors out and make sure it is random and not just lazily applied.

The tile guys know we love their work but said they understood about the wrong product being sent, etc. I feel bad for them bc they are excellent at theie job but they get $5 per foot for the glass tile and we are paying $17.50 a foot for labor. And we are paying $6 a foot for the ceramic tile itself and the labor. The tile is like $1-2 and then $4-5 labor and they get $3 a foot for ceramic. I am not sure what they are paid for the stone though. I have seen some pics of stone laid around spas and it looked very angular and not circular. These guys make 3 cuts per piece of stone to follow the curve exactly and you cant even see the seams. But at this point with the limited decking colors, I don't know if the stone could stay.

Is travertine, tumbled and sealed, really that bad as pool decking in FL? I doubt we would want to spend what it would cost but again, never hurts to ask....

Any ideas other than Belgard and Tremron for pavers? And what about coping? I am kind of set on nixing these bull nose paver coping pieces. Originally I wanted poured concrete for wall, columns, spa, and pool but it is pricy.

I did a Google search for it and of course it hits on TFP big time LOL Here is one link. One of the posters has trav. going on 4 yrs now and no problems so far! Oh and he has NOT sealed it!

How is your Travertine doing with your Salt Water Pool?

It is worth asking about for sure.

I don't have a clue about where to get materials from. Have you done any cold calling to different landscaping places to ask where they get their stuff from? It might be worth a couple of mins. to try.

PB just left. He wants to make sure we are happy and said he will figure out returning the pavers but there is a 20% restocking fee. He is going to price out travertine for us and also said we can find sources elsewhere and see what that cost is. He estimates that to do travertine, it will be $2000-3000. Plus the restocking fee should be around $600-800.

He showed us a picture of glacier pavers installed that a guy was upset with bc the bull nose coping was yellow tinted against the grey pavers. So def issues with the bull nose coping.

In regards to the stone - the store KNEW they sent 2 different colors and brands and said it was the same color! I knew they did that on purpose. Sorry but they are not the same.

So we are going to keep the Blue Sierra stone, return the other Oceana corners, tile guys will be back out to finish adding the stone to the spa, and new corner pieces will be sent in Blue Sierra for the columns.

Also showed PB how one piece of travertine will not cover the spa coping so more has to be ordered. We also decided to do all bull nose for the spa, wall, and columns so that will be ordered too.

Suz, thanks for sharing that! I read that 90% of travertine is brought in via FL so it drives right by us on its way to other places. I was looking at travertine at Stone-Mart but will check out TravertineMart esp since we have other users here on the board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just ordered a sample of silver travertine from Travertine Mart. They said it should ship out today. The silver French pattern is on sale for $4.38 a sq ft and is in stock so could ship out soon. Their travertine is all from Turkey which I read is the best place to get it from. Going to check out Stone Mart and see where they get theirs as they have a few variations of silver that I like too.

I love it when a solution has several different options - puts you in much better shape. Maybe all this frustration is leading to something you'll love even more! I did a lot of research and also read travertine from Turkey is very high grade. I was certain I couldn't afford travertine, so stopped looking. Then my paver guy flew the coop, and I was desperate. By luck I found a much better landscaper and he loved installing travertine. And his price was much less than the pavers (paver guy was trying to rip me off). I'm fairly certain my travertine must be from Mexico considering the cost and compared to the outdoor showrooms in Houston of their travertine I saw (QDI Stone services). But I love what we have and no concerns after almost 2 years.

The silver travertine would be stunning with the ledger stone you're using. I say get ready now to hijack one of those travertine trucks! :bounce:

That's good to know you have no issues! I never even looked at travertine this entire journey bc I just knew it was too expensive esp after my must have glass tile. I also never saw the silver stuff, just the gold and tan stuff.

I am pricing out travertine from Stone Mart and Travertine Mart. Both are from Turkey. Stone Mart is in Tampa and they have this Alaskan silver colored travertine that I really like but it is $5.65 a sq ft. Travertine Mart is just south of Ft Lauderdale and they have only one silver color in the French pattern I like and it is $4.38 a sq ft.

But I agree with you... All this is likely bc from the beginning I haven't been impressed with the variances with Tremron and that has been my biggest worry since this started. I think we can make the deck as modern or traditional as we want with the accents and furniture we pick. Plus, it is an outdoor oasis. Who says it can't be different than the interior of the house and be your o resort at home??? Lol

This is the Alaskan silver colored travertine. Of course I like it more bc it's more expensive than the other brand. Lol
View attachment 59348

Travertinemart samples should be here today I hope. Just got off the phone with Stone Mart and they are sending out multiple samples and should have them Thursday. Both places are within driving distance so that will save $600 in freight. Even with a trailer, our ecoboost truck will get good gas mileage. Praying we find something we love and isn't super expensive!

Hi I am local to stone mart and can pm you my contact to obtain a better price point hopefully. It will depend on the quantity. Please note the best grade of travertine is premium select grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.