Need help retrofitting topside panel

shodges

Bronze Supporter
Mar 29, 2016
rougemont nc
Hey folks. I've just finished replacing my spa pack and pump and my new topside panel is slightly too small for the existing hole. Does anyone have any experience with retro fitting one of these? Is there a specific material that I can buy at Home Depot that can be cut and put in place to hold my panel? THANKS

Many hardware stores will have acrylic plastic sheets in small sizes. That should work well to form a frame to fit behind the panel when installing. I would get as thin of a sheet as possible if the surface you're mounting it to has any curvature at all. Taper or round the outside edges of the backing before installing to make sure there's no sharp edges. A Dremel type tool is the best for cutting rounds and shaping acrylic plastics but they can be tricky as the plastic tends to melt with the high speed rotary bits as you're cutting. Straight cuts can be made with a fine tooth hand saw or scored and snapped if plastic is more rigid.

If you want a specific color, I have ordered from this site before and you can even get the size you want from them, routered and rounded. It's not cheap, but it can be easier than trying to process it neatly yourself. http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_color/341

I have not used acrylic plastic on a spa application (I retrofitted some translucent panels into an old jukebox) but it would be more than durable enough for a spa.

EDIT:

I used this caulk/adhesive when putting my panels in place. https://www.amazon.com/Sashco-13013-Sealants-Adhesive-5-Ounce/dp/B01GA77UG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483111320&sr=8-3&keywords=lexel+caulk It's VERY good as an adhesive for acrylics, fiberglass, etc. However, it really isn't a typical "caulk" compound. It's more of an adhesive/sealant. It sticks to almost everything and is a durable flexible bond. It's a little stringy to work with but great for forming a permanent bond between plastics.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.