Need help ID filter

Jax35son

Jun 2, 2020
SW Michigan
I bought a house with a pool. It’s the first time I’ve owned a pool. I’m figuring it out as I go with the help of posts on this forum. There is lots of great info here so thank you to everyone. My filter is a DE with circular discs and is horizontal. The label is completely off. Does anyone one know the brand and the last time something like it was sold? I’m wondering if it’s on the old side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 2
What a beautiful vessel. Would be nice to see it used for something .... they do not build anything like that anymore.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I’m hoping to use it as a filter for at least this summer. I was looking for model info to possibly find out what the normal pressure should read. I’m seeing DE powder at the bottom of the pool and the pressure on the filter reads 25 psi. I backwashed the filter and added new powder and the pressure drops to 16 psi. But within 12 hours it’s back up to 25. I will check for damage to the discs next. The previous owner left me four replacement discs.

When a member comes to the forum saying their filter is plugging quickly, the first thing we suspect is algae.

What does your water look like? What are your pool water chemistry test data results?

It seams like a keeper if all the grids are not broken. Agree on possible algae. One thing i would suggest is the pump, its a single speed and not that efficient as new Variable speed ones. If i where to change, i would go for the pump first.

i opened up the filter and three of the five grids have small tears. Upon closer inspection the four grids in the pool closet also have tears. Filters that look like mine run about $20 a piece. Realistically it looks like all ten need to be replaced. The filter looks fairly simple with few moving parts. Should I try to buy new grids and hope for the best. Or put the $200 towards a new filter? (Along with a new pump)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are a couple pics of the tears. Could tears like this cause high pressure and put powder in the pool? Also, is there a test for algae?

Attachments

• E1C3EC4B-C242-4193-9C41-75C7C2F3B91F.jpeg
    E1C3EC4B-C242-4193-9C41-75C7C2F3B91F.jpeg
    696 KB · Views: 0
  • 045A1F6C-E2AC-4E21-A263-C04D2F8A145D.jpeg
    045A1F6C-E2AC-4E21-A263-C04D2F8A145D.jpeg
    681.2 KB · Views: 0
I personally think it's worth it to get a few new grids, but that's up to you.

One thing you can do to patch the ones you have temporarily is to get some thick fabric and hot glue small pieces over the tears and that'll stop the DE from going through to the pool.

As for the Algae test, we have the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test that will tell you if you have something consuming your FC.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
I personally think it's worth it to get a few new grids, but that's up to you.

One thing you can do to patch the ones you have temporarily is to get some thick fabric and hot glue small pieces over the tears and that'll stop the DE from going through to the pool.

As for the Algae test, we have the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test that will tell you if you have something consuming your FC.
Thanks for the advice. I am going to purchase some new grids and go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.