agronomist817

Mar 6, 2021
Colleyville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
How much liquid chlorine do you add per day? I’m in DFW area with about a 20k gallon pebble tech pool. The pool is mostly in direct sun but it gets a good amount of shade starting around 3 pm this time of year. I have been using tabs and watching my CYA closely, it is now at 40-50 so I’m switching to LC. All my tests are in the recommend ranges in the Pool Match app - I could actually boost my calcium a little bit.

Now that I’m doing the TFP method I’ve measured my OCLT (all is good) and measured over the last few days my daily chlorine usage. My testing has shown that I’m losing about 2 ppm of chlorine per day. From reading here it looks like this is about average so here are my questions:

1. Are y’all really adding almost a gallon of LC every couple days? This seems really exorbitant. Lots of people I’ve talked with test once a week and “shock” once a week as well. They might add some extra after a swim party.

2. I plan on testing FC every couple of days to ensure my levels don’t drop below the minimum. Does that sound about right?

3. The TFP method doesn’t take into account phosphates or TDS. I get lots of leaf debris and now pollen tubes from the lovely live oaks that are around. Should I pay more attention to this than the “normal” pool owner? I’m literally having to sometimes clean both skimmers out 2x a day due to all the debris.

4. I’m running my pump about 10 hours a day at low RPM’s. Any thoughts about adjusting that up or down?

I appreciate this forum and have learned a lot. Thanks in advance for your time and your replies.

Reactions: cznkane
How much liquid chlorine do you add per day? I’m in DFW area with about a 20k gallon pebble tech pool. The pool is mostly in direct sun but it gets a good amount of shade starting around 3 pm this time of year. I have been using tabs and watching my CYA closely, it is now at 40-50 so I’m switching to LC. All my tests are in the recommend ranges in the Pool Match app - I could actually boost my calcium a little bit.

Now that I’m doing the TFP method I’ve measured my OCLT (all is good) and measured over the last few days my daily chlorine usage. My testing has shown that I’m losing about 2 ppm of chlorine per day. From reading here it looks like this is about average so here are my questions:

1. Are y’all really adding almost a gallon of LC every couple days? This seems really exorbitant. Lots of people I’ve talked with test once a week and “shock” once a week as well. They might add some extra after a swim party.

2. I plan on testing FC every couple of days to ensure my levels don’t drop below the minimum. Does that sound about right?

3. The TFP method doesn’t take into account phosphates or TDS. I get lots of leaf debris and now pollen tubes from the lovely live oaks that are around. Should I pay more attention to this than the “normal” pool owner? I’m literally having to sometimes clean both skimmers out 2x a day due to all the debris.

4. I’m running my pump about 10 hours a day at low RPM’s. Any thoughts about adjusting that up or down?

I appreciate this forum and have learned a lot. Thanks in advance for your time and your replies.

Welcome to the forum!

1. Yes. Liquid chlorine additions need to be daily and the normal loss is 2-4ppm per day. Consider how many tabs it would take to get the same amount of chlorine and the cost of tabs... If you keep your FC at the target level at all times, you don't need to shock as maintenance. Weekly shocking is a pool store method to cover up the larger issue of going most of the week with little to zero chlorine.

2. Daily testing is a good idea at first. Once you get to know your pool, you can probably skip every other day. Sometimes, I'll test 3x per week but i can predict with a great degree of accuracy and consistency how much my pool has consumed.

3. No. As long as you keep your FC in target range, phosphates won't matter.

4. Determine Pump Run Time

Reactions: agronomist817
Before I got a SWG, I did dose LC daily. This was at my last house in California. I would add at the end of the day, like around 3:00 pm. Now, keep in mind I tested almost every day just because I like testing. Well, with the speed stir that is. Swirling by hand not so much. After learning my pool, I pretty much knew how much I would dose every day. When I tested at 2:30, it confirmed the amount needed to get me through the next 24 hours.

When we built our pool here in Las Vegas, SWG all the way, baby.

My testing has shown that I’m losing about 2 ppm of chlorine per day.
That will get much higher in the summer. Be prepared to add a lot of chlorine to meet the demand.

Are y’all really adding almost a gallon of LC every couple days? This seems really exorbitant.
As the weather warms up, you'll need to dose every day. You're a great candidate for a SWG (highly recommended). If you don't want to go that route, look at a Stenner pump to dose LC.

Lots of people I’ve talked with test once a week and “shock” once a week as well.
And their pool chemistry is terrible. Maintain FC at or above the target for your CYA and you'll never need to bring the FC to shock level.

I’m running my pump about 10 hours a day at low RPM’s. Any thoughts about adjusting that up or down?
How slow can you operate your pump while achieving the desired effects? I operate my pump at 1,000 rpm 24/7, which uses around 75 watts. That equates to ~$6/month in electricity. I like the non-stop skimming, chlorinating, filtering, and circulation. Run your pump for a purpose.

I’m literally having to sometimes clean both skimmers out 2x a day due to all the debris.
You would probably benefit from hairnets in the skimmers.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP :)

I would also recommend going to a salt water generator.. I did the first day I got my pool.. I am up above you in Oklahoma and run my CYA at 80 and run my FC at 7.. You will be adding chlorine everyday and in the summer it will be close to a gallon a day.. Both way of getting chlorine in your pool will cost almost exactly the same you just pay for the SWG up front all at once and the liquid chlorine you pay as you go... Both prices have gone up in the last couple years...

Hey Argon and Welcome !!!

The TFP method doesn’t take into account phosphates or TDS. I get lots of leaf debris and now pollen tubes from the lovely live oaks that are around. Should I pay more attention to this than the “normal” pool owner?
Nope. TDS is the most meaningless test there is. Let's say your refrigerator has 46 things in it. Do you need to go grocery shopping ? Do you have enough food for rhe family for the week ?

Now. Knowing that you have 3 kinds of sandwhich meats..... milk.... eggs....steaks....chicken.....salad.....etc, etc, etc.... makes a HUGE difference in the question, doesn't it ? The 46 part doesn't matter at all. I have 30 condiments on the door of the fridge alone. :ROFLMAO:

Phosphates are another easy out for everyone else to find blame for mismanaging their pool. Phosphates are 'algae food'. But they don't produce algae, or make it show up. Underchlorinating your pool does. Think of all those aisles of dog food at Petco. Does it create any dogs out of thin air ? Keep the doors to the store locked and the dogs can't get in.
Lots of people I’ve talked with test once a week and “shock” once a week as well.
The definition of shock is a sudden, often violent, change. The only reason to shock a pool or a person is if it is DOA.

Last edited:
Hey all!

My (admittedly) old school method of chlorinating a pool is to add an appropriate amount of liquid chlorine after dark to bring the chlorine level up so it oxidizes anything that might've been accumulated during the day through typical use, and air deposits.

UV radiation IMMEDIATELY begins breaking down chlorine, so adding it after sundown only makes sense.

Cyanuric acid strengthens the bond between the H2O and chlorine molecules, which aides in keeping the chlorine around longer, but if you're using a Tri-Chlor type of solid chlorine, you're inadvertantly adding CYA every time you add chlorine, and you'll eventually build up "conditioner" to an oversaturation point, that will lock the chlorine molecules to the water molecules, and it will stop oxidizing.

The only way to fix this issue is to decrease the ratio of the H2O:CYA molecules in solution...which ultimately means draining and refilling with new water (unless they've devised a way to release cyanuric acid from pool water...which would be news to me, but like I said, I'm old school).

My thinking has always been:
Add chlorine when the pool isn't in use, to maximize efficacy and efficiency.

Add the chlorine when it's going to be at, and stay at, it's most potent.

Swim in water that has been sanitized, is relatively free of chlorine, and crystal clear.

But, I'm totally coming from an old school vantage point.

This had worked for me and my clients for over a decade, but technology and chemistry moves forward.

If you've found a solid equilibrium for your own pool that you're happy with, I'll not tell you to change.

Just giving out what I know works, and hopefully it's helpful to someone.

Best wishes!

That will get much higher in the summer. Be prepared to add a lot of chlorine to meet the demand.

As the weather warms up, you'll need to dose every day. You're a great candidate for a SWG (highly recommended). If you don't want to go that route, look at a Stenner pump to dose LC.

And their pool chemistry is terrible. Maintain FC at or above the target for your CYA and you'll never need to bring the FC to shock level.

How slow can you operate your pump while achieving the desired effects? I operate my pump at 1,000 rpm 24/7, which uses around 75 watts. That equates to ~$6/month in electricity. I like the non-stop skimming, chlorinating, filtering, and circulation. Run your pump for a purpose.

You would probably benefit from hairnets in the skimmers.
Thanks for the reply! About 1200 RPM is a low as the pump will go to skim well. I’ve got that added to my schedule now to run in the evenings.

If I’m adding a gallon of day of bleach this summer then I’ll certainly invest in a SWG that is a lot of bleach!

What does the hair nets do? How will that help?

Reactions: pjt
What does the hair nets do? How will that help
Hair nets go over the skimmer basket and the panyhose like mesh traps ALOT of gunk before the filter, saving you many cleanings.

They make name brand 'skimmer socks', or you can buy a 100 pack of hair nets for $10 on Amazon. No need to ever clean and reuse them at that price. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I’m adding a gallon of day of bleach this summer then I’ll certainly invest in a SWG that is a lot of bleach!
A few things that stick out……

First, look for 12% liquid chlorine as these days it’s likely gonna be cheaper than “bleach.” Using this will add roughly 6ppm FC to your pool per gallon thus allowing you to stretch things out to every few days. Second, don’t be afraid to tinker with your CYA level. You may find a level around 60 will help even more protect your chlorine as the Texas sun starts to really shine here in a month or so.

We're in the same boat, I'm just north of Austin and have been scooping out oak leaves and pollen tubes for a couple months now. Worst I've ever seen it.
1) Yup, I add about a gallon of 12.5% every couple days.
2) Sounds about right
3) I haven't had to do anything special due to the oak debris, just cleaning the skimmer (I only have one small one on my above ground) 4 times a day and keeping my water balanced (FC, PH, ALK, etc)
4) I run mine for two sessions a day, 4hr each. It all depends on your pool size and your pump / filter equipment

You're on the right track. I too will be looking at a SWG soon.

Cya is 50. I lose 6ppm per day with LC only. (Gonna start using some pucks in addition)

Cya is 50. I lose 6ppm per day with LC only. (Gonna start using some pucks in addition)
What pucks? The typical ones will continue to raise your CYA which will require higher FC in order to function properly...might be hurting yourself more than helping by raising that CYA with pucks. FWIW 6ppm a day is pretty aggressive. I'm in full central TX sun and run 40 CYA / liquid chlorine. I loose about half that (3ppm / day). I used to live in AZ and can assure you the sun intensity is similar here if not a bit more intense.

What pucks? The typical ones will continue to raise your CYA which will require higher FC in order to function properly...might be hurting yourself more than helping by raising that CYA with pucks. FWIW 6ppm a day is pretty aggressive. I'm in full central TX sun and run 40 CYA / liquid chlorine. I loose about half that (3ppm / day). I used to live in AZ and can assure you the sun intensity is similar here if not a bit more intense.
I thought if I raised my cya
i thought raising the cya, even though I need a higher ppm would protect it and make it last longer and provide less of a drop in ppm throughout the day..?

If it’s 6ppm per day loss and 0 loss at night what can I do other than just keep dumping almost a gallon a day of 12.5%?

Thanks

There is a link to a chlorine/cya chart on this site. It suggests that if you do not have a SWG do not go over 60. When i open my pool i start at 60 and with splash out and backwash i may add some in the beginning of August. By time i close in September it is around 45. I use liquid chlorine and cya granuals. I gave up on pucks about 10 years ago.
Yes adding when the sun goes down is a better way to add.
I use a gallon of 12.5 a day as well. I should of bought a SWG years ago....

It will make it last longer, yes....BUT....think of your FC throughout the day, it will be burning off all day with sun exposure slowly lowering. With the higher CYA the point where the chlorine stops working will be higher. So...let's say you go from 50 to 60 on CYA. Now your chlorine will go down 6ppm over 14 hours of sun exposure instead of 12. Problem is, now your chlorine level needs to stay above 7 instead of 6 to be effective. You may have gained a couple hours of 'life' but you're still using the gallon a day to keep the level a bit higher. Hope that makes sense. I agree with @Darin, save yourself a headache (high CYA) and get a SWG.

Here's the chart for ref

Reactions: joshuaj1975

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.