Brownsburg, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Has anyone had experience with the sight glass part of their salt cell leaking? What can be done?

Attachments

• 0F43A021-AEBB-4E50-9A16-608BBF6A6C11.jpeg
    0F43A021-AEBB-4E50-9A16-608BBF6A6C11.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 038BE3BA-583C-4BF2-A943-28D57505C861.jpeg
    038BE3BA-583C-4BF2-A943-28D57505C861.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 56
Looking at the parts page, there is an o-ring under the cap. Most likely you will have to buy a new o-ring and/or new cap. If the o-ring looks good but the cap is cracked, you can try a two part epoxy and try to fix the crack temporarily.

did you figure out what the problem was? I have the same issue. My lid and the o-ring look fine. Does any one have a link on how take it appart? thx

I don't see the cap being replaceable. Other folks have the same problem...

The lid is part of the cord and cell assembly. It's not disassemblable.

You can remove the lid and cell assembly by twisting the top to unlock.

Check the oring and replace as needed. Lubricate with silicone lubricant.

Thanks a lot everyone for your responses.
@JamesW the assembly seems to have some locking mechanism (please see picture). I tried to pull it but it is hard to do both sides at the same time. I didn't want it to force it if it is not supposed to come out.
Has anyone attempted to split one of these apart?
Thank you again.

Attachments

• TruClearCellLocking.jpg
    TruClearCellLocking.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 38
I have used that unit and while it may come apart, I am not sure they intend it to do that. You should be able to lube that oring without disassembling anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to being up an old article, I have one that is also leaking from the glass. I'm thinking the whole unit has to be replaced. The O ring is fine and lubed but the water is leaking from the top. Rather than buy a new cell, is it possible to put a dummy block and switch to liquid chlorine?

Just to being up an old article, I have one that is also leaking from the glass. I'm thinking the whole unit has to be replaced. The O ring is fine and lubed but the water is leaking from the top. Rather than buy a new cell, is it possible to put a dummy block and switch to liquid chlorine?

yes they sell a winterizing cap. It's @ $50 on Amazon.

yes they sell a winterizing cap. It's @ $50 on Amazon.

Hello there... I've followed this blog, trying to find an answer to my problem: my salt cell is cracked and leaks severely. Earlier comments indicated the cap is not replaceable. I've seen the one that sells for around $40-$50 dollars online, but no comment regarding the replacement aspect. Are you aware - is anyone? - of this cap being replaceable - or not?

Hello there... I've followed this blog, trying to find an answer to my problem: my salt cell is cracked and leaks severely. Earlier comments indicated the cap is not replaceable. I've seen the one that sells for around $40-$50 dollars online, but no comment regarding the replacement aspect. Are you aware - is anyone? - of this cap being replaceable - or not?

It is not a replacement cap. It is a winterizing cap. When the salt sell is removed this cap takes its place. The cap on the cell is not replaceable. Jandy may send you a new cell however for no charge try giving them a call and see what they say.

If your complete install is less than 3 years old, it is covered under warranty. You can contact Jandy support chat from their website. I suggest having the serial number (located on the side of the cell), the installer name and installation date ready.

Your pool service (if you have one) may also be able to order you a replacement cell from their distributor, which will come with a 1 year warranty and cost roughly $300 plus tax.

I just got my new replacement cell through my PB. Mine was 2 yrs old when it started leaking. I lubed the O ring and added some epoxy around between the clear window and the black outer lid and neither solved my problem. It was under warranty, but the pool company wanted to charge me a $140 trip charge just to look at it. I ended up having another on going issue with my Jandy pool heater, so in the end the pool company had to make a free return visit for the heater and while they were here I tacked on the salt cell inspection.

Two weeks ago, my cell quit working with a "Check Cell" error. Scheduled the pool store tech to come out for a warranty call, since my cell is only 6 weeks old. But before he came, I realized the cell had air in it, so assuming the air was coming from somewhere else, I bled off the air through the filter, and it started working fine. I cancelled my warranty call. I've continued to notice air in the lines, which I've been bleeding off every day, or so and finally today, I realize the air is coming in through the salt cell! I can push down on the top and water squishes out. I quit looking at it when I got a little shock, which makes sense, since power is applied! Called the pool store, and scheduled a warranty call for next week.

Two weeks ago, my cell quit working with a "Check Cell" error. Scheduled the pool store tech to come out for a warranty call, since my cell is only 6 weeks old. But before he came, I realized the cell had air in it, so assuming the air was coming from somewhere else, I bled off the air through the filter, and it started working fine. I cancelled my warranty call. I've continued to notice air in the lines, which I've been bleeding off every day, or so and finally today, I realize the air is coming in through the salt cell! I can push down on the top and water squishes out. I quit looking at it when I got a little shock, which makes sense, since power is applied! Called the pool store, and scheduled a warranty call for next week.

You pushed down the top and turned it, right? Sounds like it is not on at all and just flopping.

I just checked it again, and I realized that when I checked it earlier, I had just turned the pump back on after cleaning the pump basket, so it may not have been fully pressurized, yet. But now, an hour later, running at 1750 rpm, the glass portion flexing is just barely perceptible, while the plastic portion is a little more noticeable. It's not flopping around, but it isn't really solidly sealed. I'll limp along until next Tuesday when the technician comes out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.