Jandy IAqualink WiFi module with PDA Remote

ZachG

May 14, 2022
St Charles, IL
I spoke with Jandy by email they have confirmed that it is possible, BUT wont give me instructions only dealers of their products....

Our existing handheld which was on our old controller is
Handheld 3.0 Blue Jandy PDA (Blue One)
The JBox has a V3.0 sticker the board says 4606.

When both the Jbox and the Aqualink WiFi box are connected to the controller either the Jbox will not respond or the Wifi module will go offline. The pool was controllable at one point using the remote and all programing showed however the wifi system dropped offline to RED in the app.

I would like to have BOTH the WIFI ability as well as a dedicated remote controller like the PDA. If guidance could be sent to me so that I can share it with the installer.

Our insurance company replaced the controller (electric pannel) to the new module since the circuitry was bad on the old controller. They installed an “Upgrade Kit” (The box says it’s a IQ30-RS) which helped solve the button issue, but the installer explained that you had to use the mobile app only and not the PDA and that it’s not possible to install the PDA.

According to instructions, you can only have 2 RS-485 wires to each red connector. How are both antennas connected to the main PCB? The RS 3.0 has 2 red connectors so you can connect 4 items to it. Such as 2 antennas, a VS pump, etc. Show a picture of your Red Connectors when you take the front panel off

Reactions: ZachG and PoolGate
According to instructions, you can only have 2 RS-485 wires to each red connector. How are both antennas connected to the main PCB? The RS 3.0 has 2 red connectors so you can connect 4 items to it. Such as 2 antennas, a VS pump, etc. Show a picture of your Red Connectors when you take the front panel off
Does this help?

We have 4 VS Pumps a Heater and the Two Antenna Modules.

20220918_120640.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: PoolGate
All those wires crammed into one connector is likely your problem.

Get the Jandy AquaLink RS Multiplex Board (6584) to have more RS-485 connection points...

You are the PRO!

I found a red connector and hooked the Jbox to the other Red slot not being used wiggled a few wires and the REMOTE and WIFI both work!

Thank you so much. Probably best to move some of the pumps to the other connector.

Reactions: HermanTX
All those wires crammed into one connector is likely your problem.

Get the Jandy AquaLink RS Multiplex Board (6584) to have more RS-485 connection points...
Ooof. $132. They gotta be kidding. My iAquaLink box had one of those inside. It was not doing anything so I removed it. Almost threw it away. It's just 4 connectors on a PC board with 4 conductors to join them. Probably cost a buck to make.

Ooof. $132. They gotta be kidding. My iAquaLink box had one of those inside. It was not doing anything so I removed it. Almost threw it away. It's just 4 connectors on a PC board with 4 conductors to join them. Probably cost a buck to make.
If you go Jandy you accept paying their prices.

If you have more then four RS-485 devices you need it to make the network work reliably. It is simple for a DIY to install and costs less then a service call by a tech.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you go Jandy you accept paying their prices.

If you have more then four RS-485 devices you need it to make the network work reliably. It is simple for a DIY to install and costs less than a service call by a tech.
Well, sure. It's monopoly power. I didn't accept it. I inherited from the guy who accepted before I bought the house. tl;dr is charging 10,000% over cost is bad business. What goes around comes around.

Well, sure. It's monopoly power. I didn't accept it. I inherited from the guy who accepted before I bought the house. tl;dr is charging 10,000% over cost is bad business. What goes around comes around.
That why over the years I removed Jandy from my pool equipment.

After all the Pentair version of the expansion board only costs $100. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: generessler
Jandy takes advantage of the fact that most pool owners are not DIYers. They deal with builders who simply love profit. And the disconnect between makers and pool owners is the reason for the sorry state of technology in the pool equipment industry.

Jandy takes advantage of the fact that most pool owners are not DIYers. They deal with builders who simply love profit. And the disconnect between makers and pool owners is the reason for the sorry state of technology in the pool equipment industry.
I couldn’t agree more - if the major suppliers would see pool owners and not pool contractors/pool stores as their customer, the progress in design and technology would be much stronger.

Just to update all.

Apparently the controller DID have a multiplexer board with SEVERAL empty red connectors. I tried to spilt up all the pumps wires and antenna boxes to be on its own connector. A few are doubled up on the red connector, but only 2 sets max per red connector.

Once I disconnected the PDA box, iAqualink showed back online.

I swear this guy who did the replacement didn't know what he was doing and charged us $16,000. They replaced the control panel pumps and heaters.

Any ways the remote was working flawlessly and then suddenly Iaqualink would show OFFLINE. Yet the module box showed all lights on.

Any other ideas.?

I would put the pumps on the multiplex board and double up there if needed. Then put PDA antenna on 1 red connector on the main PCB and the iAquaLink Antenna on the other red connector on the main PCB. If it was working before it should work again.
Ensure you turn off the whole system when moving wires around. Then when boot up all should refresh to the main Jandy server.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.