Lemonhead

Jun 3, 2020
Middletown NY-211
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m a first time pool owner. It’s a 24 round. Was filled yesterday bye 2 tankers and than to complete I used my well water. Pool place added to bags of shock and 2 tabs chlorine in my skimmer and here I am. I want to use the maintenance I see here but have a few questions.
1. Does Home Depot or Lowe’s have the stronger bleach or liquid chlorine recommend?
2. what test kit should I buy ? Is their a digital one that makes reading simple ? I have the free one included in my pool package and it tests for fc,alkalinity,ph,stabilizer.
3. Slam is a technique that is the same as shocking but just it uses liquid ?
4 what brang me to this site was researching the best way to add chlorine tabs ( skimmer or float) . The best answer was neither to use bleach. So I assume following the method here their is no chlorine tabs used ?

Lemon,

Welcome to TFP. We use methods that are quite different from the pool store. They work, and they're much cheaper than the pool store because they don't require expensive pool store chemicals. Here's my advice on your questions plus one.
1. Big box stores and WM have the chlorinating liquid. This is all you need to chlorinate your pool. Other chemicals may be needed to balance the water but it's pretty rare after the first balance.

2. There are only 2 kits we recommend. See the link below. You have to get one of these to use our methodology. The TF 100 is the lowest cost in the long run.

3. No SLAM is a process, shocking is a one-time event that rarely works and just consumes a lot more chlorinating liquid in the long run... could that be why pool stores recommend this?

4. We do not recommend using tablets. They are about half chlorine and half CYA. CYA persists and FC is consumed quickly so CYA builds up and this requires higher levels of FC to keep disinfecting properly. It's a viscous circle and requires a LOT more chlorine 'till it doesn't work and you get algae and then require even more chemicals... could this be why pool stores recommend this?

5. Stay out of pool stores. Their advice is conflicted because they want to sell you chemicals. There are a few that are honest and don't do this. Problem is you don't know which one you have 'till it's too late. We don't sell anything. We just want to provide great advice that's not conflicted to help you learn to take care of your pool yourself at the cheapest cost. If you need something from the pool store we'll tell you but that's pretty rare.

So here's what I'd do if I were you.
  • Get your test kit ordered asap. Read this to decide which one to get :Test Kits Compared
  • If your builder has requirements for the first month or two follow them to retain your warranty follow them. If not follow TFP methods
  • While you're waiting for your test kit read this:ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.
  • Get the tablets out of your skimmer.
  • We need to know more about your pool add details in your "signature". Here's how.
  • Stay out of pool store.
  • Ask any questions you have here. You'll learn TFP basic methods in days. We're also here for any problems you have related to the pool.
I hope this helps.

Chris

Can I buy a test kit In stores or do I have to order online ?
Some stores carry the Taylor K-2006 but few have the K-2006c which has larger reagents. I would call around before you waste time driving around. TF 100 is online only. Best bet is to go to TFtestkits.net. I bought mine from them almost 6 years ago. I get the refills about every other year and that works fine since I keep them inside the house.. They sell the refills on sale about twice per year. Most experts on here seem to prefer the TF 100 but many seem to use the K-2006 also. It's really up to you. The 2006 is a little cheaper up front. The other is cheaper in the long run. Most important is to get one on order asap and read the ABC's ask plus ask any questions while you wait so you're ready to roll as soon as you get it. If you're concerned about what to do with your pool while you wait for delivery just add 2-4 ppm liquid chlorine every other day (use Pool Math to figure out how much). Mine was here in a couple days.... may be a little longer with deliveries. You can call them to find out. They are very helpful and responsive to customers.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Can I buy a test kit In stores or do I have to order online ?
Walmart has a "mini" drops test kit from HTH that can get you started with the basics (see which kit can get to you quickest, you might just go with Tf-100 kit). Most likely you'll have to order the full test kit online :)
Speaking as a budget-driven non-professional pool owner, the TF100 kit is the "cheapest" in the long & short run, no hunting for all the "pieces" and comprehensive instructions.
If you can "splurge", find & purchase a SpeedStir! It makes EASY work of getting accurate test results, it's not required, but it is VERY handy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.