6 percent+ bleach that is safe to use in pools and sold at Walmart, Aldi, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Dollar General or Kroger

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
All of the stores in my small town are out of 10% liquid chlorine and won’t be getting any more in until next spring. Pool is going to be open for another 2 weeks so I’ve got to find an alternative chlorine source. Is there any 6 percent+ bleach that can be purchased at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Aldi, Dollar General, or Kroger that is safe to use in pools? If so, please post the brand name and information provided on the label so I can try to find it. I’ve been to 2 stores already and it seems like most of the bleach is the splashless kind that shouldn’t be used in pools or has fabric additives or fragrances. If I can’t find any bleach that is safe to use in pools from the stores I mentioned, I’m going to have use cal-hypo shock instead which I don’t want to use since it is more expensive, more time consuming to add, and it raises calcium and PH.

All of the stores in my small town are out of 10% liquid chlorine and won’t be getting any more in until next spring. Pool is going to be open for another 2 weeks so I’ve got to find an alternative chlorine source. Is there any 6 percent+ bleach that can be purchased at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Aldi, Dollar General, or Kroger that is safe to use in pools? If so, please post the brand name and information provided on the label so I can try to find it. I’ve been to 2 stores already and it seems like most of the bleach is the splashless kind that shouldn’t be used in pools or has fabric additives or fragrances. If I can’t find any bleach that is safe to use in pools from the stores I mentioned, I’m going to have use cal-hypo shock instead which I don’t want to use since it is more expensive, more time consuming to add, and it raises calcium and PH.
Try a pool store if one is available. They usually have it.

Plain Tandil bleach at aldi is 7% & the msds looks ok.
Plain Cloralen in the green bottle is 7-8% & can be found at aldi sometimes also dollar general, i have used it in my pool & hot tub no problem. Lowes also sells it.
The Moxie outdoor bleach at lowes should be avoided- it is reportedly low concentration (the bottle doesn’t say) & has “thickeners”.

Dollar general true living disinfecting bleach (non splashless, unflavored) is fine to use.
The kroger brand bleach has fabric protection so its a no no.
Name brand clorox has cloromax (fabric protection) so its a no no.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.