Intellitouch no longer turning Mastertemp heater off

Contentt

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2018
Vienna, VA
My Intellitouch is no longer turning the Mastertemp 400 heater off. Came home and pool was 90+ (temp was set at 81) No errors displayed on the mastertemp. I went through it with support and they seem to think it's an automation issue with Intellitouch board.

Pushing heater button on Inteiltouch I don’t hear a click on the panel. The heater button on the panel no longer lights up in any mode Early on I changed the Thermaster hoping that was the issue, but nope.

I then read this thread, and this thread, and wondering if the two position terminal plug might be bad? I found one on Amazon, but wasn't sure how to test to see if this is the issue..

Or is it more likely the Intellitouch board is the issue?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yup, you likely have a fused close heater relay on the board. You can check with a multimeter.

C,

The first step to troubleshooting your problem is to disconnect the two-wire heater connector on the IntelliTouch card.

If you can remove the connector and the heater shuts off, then you will know that problem is in the IntelliTouch. If the heater does not shut off, then you know that the problem is in the with the heater or wiring.

If the IntelliTouch is bad, it could be the gas heater relay that turns the heater on and off, or it could be the IC chip that tells the relay to turn on or off.

With the heater running, remove the gas heater connection on the IntelliTouch card and tell us if the heater shuts off or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well fired up the system, pulled the heater connector and the heater shut off. So it seems the issue is in fact with the IntelliTouch. Is one of these my heater relay under the board?

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpg
    IMG_3457.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3458.jpg
    IMG_3458.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 9
So it seems the issue is in fact with the IntelliTouch. Is one of these my heater relay under the board?

Likely the K5 heater relay contacts are welded closed.

Power off the IntelliTouch and check continuity using a multimeter between the two screws on the heater connector. If it has continuity then the relay is stuck closed.

Powered down and not getting any reading on the screws in the terminal plug of J30, popped it off and getting nothing from the board pins either.

Sounds like your relay driver chip is bad.

@ogdento said ULN2803A is the part you want... they're cheap enough to replace, more for the shipping than the chips ;)

Before you order them, you can do a quick go/no-go test by swapping the socketed chip marked U13 (this one drives the K5 heater relay) with one of the others... if your heater suddenly starts operating as expected you know for sure the chip is shot.

See...

Reactions: ogdento

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
C,

Just to make sure... When the heater was running, was the water temp lower than your set point? If it was, and you had the heater circuit on, then the IntelliTouch would call for heat and the relay should be closed.

I suggest that you removed the gas heater plug J30 and then use an ohm meter and measure between the two gas heater pins. In theory, you should be able to move the temperature set point up and down and make the little relay open and close based upon the set point temperature.

If you can move the set point up and down, and the ohm meter always reads about zero, then the chip is most likely bad.

You should have two of those plug-in chips. You can swap them and see of the problem goes away. This will prove that one of the chips is bad.

Let's see if Tom agrees... calling @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

Having a challenge finding U13, what part of the board should I be looking at?

To answer "When the heater was running, was the water temp lower than your set point?".. With the heater running the water temp rose above 90, intellitouch is set for 82.

Found it thanks! Here's what happened. I swapped U13 with U12, turned power on and the pool pumps came on immediately without me turning them on. In fact I couldn't turn them off on the panel, so that seems like similar behavior? The heater did not turn on at all.

And the mystery continues. I replaced all three chips (ULN2803A) and the pump fired up when turning the breaker on. But I have no control, the outdoor panel is on but buttons don't respond, my indoor control pad also does not control anything. Also one of my two valve actuators changed from pool to spa when power came on. The heater never came on, it does not respond. I went back and put the old two chips back in, leaving only a new one for the heater control. The indoor panel turns the pumps on, but heater still not responsive. It's like giant puzzle, appreciate any suggestions.

That's a great question! Here's a pic, do I have something backwards? This setup causes pump to come on with breaker, and board lights work but nothing is responsive so can't turn pump off.

Attachments

• 1661273912814.png
    1661273912814.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
That's a great question! Here's a pic, do I have something backwards? This setup causes pump to come on with breaker, and board lights work but nothing is responsive so can't turn pump off.
I will observe that these from @guinness are installed opposite...

mb-png.447954

yours...

1661273912814-png.448827

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.