IceShadow’s pool thread 2022

Tested for phosphates again and I think it’s better. I know chasing it to 0 isn’t worth it so I think I’ll have to be happy with this.

Before

0F878CD0-1E67-458E-AEDA-E8CCAE0113A4.jpeg

After

20A21269-FF32-4C3E-8542-8403300BD1FA.jpeg

So I realized I didn’t deep clean my sand filter when I open the spring. Seeing as we’re now about 48 hours past when I added the phosphate remover, I decided it was time to do so.

I forgot to backwash before I opened the filter. This did give me the unique opportunity to see what the DE looks like while sitting on top of my sand. Might be illustrative for other people too.

E4FD1A47-CC20-46F2-9E20-B0E66D945B14.jpego

Reactions: newdude
I finally gave up, put it back together, backwashed, rinsed, then took it apart to deep clean more. Finished that off and put it back together, backwashed and rinsed again, then put DE back in it. Pressure was a bit lower after the cleaning, so I think it was worth it.

Reactions: newdude
So what I see you saying is don't try to "deep clean" DE out of a sand filter with a hose. It is best to backwash and rinse to get most of it out. Correct?
Yes. The DE wants to sink down. You can stir it up and get it started out but it was taking forever.

I have a big filter too and I had 3-4 cups of DE in there which probably doesn’t help. But backwash first and get rid of it before you deep clean the filter for sure.

Reactions: kimkats
Tonight’s light test: not much better than yesterday.

B835C346-4438-4301-A262-907F0B2FFD6D.jpeg

I did notice the heater was reporting the pressure switch open at 2200 RPM, checked the filter pressure at 3000 with both intakes open and was up at 20 PSI. Backwashed and rinsed and back down to 15. Still higher than the normal pre-DE 14, which is strange. I’ll add more DE in the morning. It’s late now.

My 55lb pail of boric acid arrived. I’ve added a bit of borax earlier in the year but not much. So I assume I should add enough to get to 50ppm borates? Or just to 30? Who do I ask about borates? >.>

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
“We recommend maintaining borates between 30 and 50 ppm. That normally means raising the borate level to around 50 each spring, so that it will still be above 30 come fall.”

Maybe I’ll just add the whole bucket. That’s 58ppm in my pool.

Reactions: kimkats
I am on my laptop so was able to scroll up and down. In doing so it looks like the "stream" of stuff is shorter. I say there has been progress using the light test!

I had high pressure this morning so I backwashed, after only adding DE yesterday. So it's getting stuff. I'll add more DE this evening when I get home from work.

I think your pool is looking amazing so far. Fantastic read.
Thank you ^.^

Ok, today’s updates:

- My mother swam in the pool before and after I added the borates and said she felt the water felt better / smoother after addition. Could be psychosomatic but I’m gonna say worth it.

- Added DE. A couple of hours later and we’re up a bit more on PSI. So it’s definitely catching mode.

- I don’t think the light improved, but neighbors had some trees cut down and my 10-year old is power washing the deck and diving board around the pool (his choice, not demanded of him). He said he’s being careful but hey, he’s 10.

CDA1014F-0439-477D-B2B3-DFA40F6ED653.jpeg

Reactions: koffey and newdude
had some trees cut down and my 10-year old is power washing the deck and diving board around the pool
The trees alone would be doing quite a bit of a number on the water clarity.

Well done on the 10 yr old doing work around the house and yard! That is good parenting right there. Nothing wrong in telling a child to do manual labor of any kind but for him to step up makes it even better!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.